Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cards to wait on

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Cards to wait on

Realizing that it's total speculation, what cards would you hold off on getting if you were relatively new to the game? So far I've done:

-Amex Delta Skymiles Personal and Business for 30k each.
-Citi AAdvantage for 50k each
-US Bank FlexPerks for 32,150 (one time offer so no reason to worry about waiting on that one)
-AXP SPG Personal (not eligable for the 30k SPG offer for business since I applied for the Delta

Some ones I'm thinking of waiting on:

- BA card since the 100k offer could come around again.
- Amex gold or plat... wait for a 75k-100k offer either targeted or not.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred. Not sure about this one, think you'll be able to do better than 40k in the next year or so?

What else makes a lot of sense to wait on? And what should you probably definitely get now (i.e. US Bank FlexPerks)?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to Flyertalk. Your thread has been moved to the Credit Card Programs forum.

Please read this MilesBuzz! forum Announcement for guidance on where to post credit card related threads.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...opics-523.html
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
If we assume that all types of miles, points, and cash are equally valuable and useful to you - which is foolish, but you haven't given us any other details - then personally I would go for the flexperks now, because that's the highest bonus we've ever seen on that card, that I can recall.

Would probably next get the AA cards, since the bonuses are decent and it's not likely to see better before you could apply again. Might as well get the clock started.

As far as waiting, the BA card has offered 100k for two years now, so I'd wait on that until next year. I'm personally waiting on a higher Sapphire offer, since the targeted offers have been as high as 100k in the past. Have also seen higher offers for Delta cards.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:29 pm

Another way to come at this question is, how good is the current offer? This would capture both the current magnitude (points), how likely the offer will come around again, and thereby which card(s) to apply for first. Perhaps a poll with ratings such as:

0 - Standard offer for every sucker off the street
1 - Better than standard, but easily available
2 - Good offer, typical of what an informed FT'er would find
3 - Very good offer, it probably be available again, but why wait?
4 - Great offer, comes around only every 2-3 years
5 - OMG! It'll never be this good ever again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.