Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Husband & Wife (different names) both apply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Hi, I'm thinking of applying for the Chase Sapphire Card and wondered if my husband and I should apply once and get two cards, or if we can each apply and both earn the 40,000 signing bonus. We have different last names. Thoughts?
Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. You and your husband can both apply for any credit card, based on your individual incomes. Your surnames are irrelevant.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:24 am

Welcome to Flyertalk. Get 2 accounts and 4 cards!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks! One more question - not sure if this is the place for it... I'm trying to figure out if points from the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card can be used with American and Alaska frequent flyer programs. I read that they can be transferred to British Airway which looks like they partner with American. Not sure how that works.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by HappyHummingbird
... transferred to British Airway which looks like they partner with American.
Ultimate Rewards points cannot be transferred to Alaska or American Airlines. They can be transferred to British Airways, and then redeemed through BA's program for travel on flights operated by Alaska or American. This does not mean that the miles can be transferred to those airlines, you must redeem according to the rules and requirements of the British Airways Executive Club.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:54 am
Original Poster

I'm wondering if there might be a loss in point value to transfer points to BA then redeem for American or Alaska. Maybe a different credit card would be a better option for those who fly American alot?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:41 am
mia

Originally Posted by HappyHummingbird
I'm wondering if there might be a loss in point value to transfer points to BA then redeem for American or Alaska.
This topic is extensively discussed elsewhere. BA's program is based on the distance flown, and can provide better value on flights operated by AA or AS under specific circumstances. The best value is achieved if flying non-stop in economy class. If you live in an AA or AS hub city it is worth investigating, unless you intend to redeem for domestic first class.

Review some of these discussions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-american.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...urcharges.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.