Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Returning merchandise for refund on a different card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

I know most retailers insist on processing returns to the same credit card used for the purchase, but does anyone have experience with scenarios in which the original purchasing credit card account has been closed?

E.g. If I bought a TV at Best Buy on a SPG Amex, then for whatever reason I closed the SPG Amex account, how will Best Buy process my return?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:22 pm

You will get a best buy gift card for your purchase.And most of the merchant will do the same.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saatx
You will get a best buy gift card for your purchase.And most of the merchant will do the same.
Rats! Even with flexible retailers like Costco or Nordstrom?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've had the refund credited back to the original card, and then gotten a refund from the card issuer.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by sk8uno
Rats! Even with flexible retailers like Costco or Nordstrom?
Flexible policies on stuff like this may be a casualty of the rampant gift card fraud...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by sk8uno
I know most retailers insist on processing returns to the same credit card used for the purchase, but does anyone have experience with scenarios in which the original purchasing credit card account has been closed?

E.g. If I bought a TV at Best Buy on a SPG Amex, then for whatever reason I closed the SPG Amex account, how will Best Buy process my return?
Originally Posted by saatx
That's not true.
Well, maybe BestBuy does that...
But I once purchased a HDD at staples and later on cancelled that credit card. About 3 weeks later, when that HDD stopped working, I took it back and they credited a different credit card. (It was a MAJOR MAJOR PITA though...It took them a long time to figure out how to do it!! )

Yesterday, I returned a lens to Walmart that I had purchased online and paid with Paypal. The lady at the returns counter had no idea how to refund it, so she just refunded it back to my Chase credit card.

So, I know that it can be done.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:32 pm

Yes. It is possible. But I have experienced it only once and I was very surprised when it worked. In my situation, I just didn't have the card (it wasn't closed) at JCP for return. The girl at the counter asked if I am carrying any other cards, I offered my chase card, she refunded to it. I have to check to see if it affected my points on ink. It wasn't a big amount.

Other way is ofcourse store credit. Almost all retailers are glad to refund as store credit. The scoundrels at Frys infact try to push you into store credit. (OT-I hate those return guys at frys!)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:19 pm

Retailers can arbitrarily credit a card but they're really not supposed to. Additionally, they don't fee a processing fee refund, and their liability for the original charge/possible chargeback claim remains.

In all reality, they don't do it.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: HH diamond
I received cash from the store when I returned on item after I closed the CC.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:42 am

Pay with Paypal and get refund on different card

On a related note, I recently returned an online purchase to Eddie Bauer. Since I had paid with Paypal (credit card, not direct bank withdrawal) they didn't know, didn't care what cc I had used and refunded card of my choice.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:51 pm

If a merchant does refund a CC transaction by something other than the original card (or store credit), it's a mistake on their part.

As mentioned above, you can get a credit back to a closed account. The card company will send you a check.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by alanh
As mentioned above, you can get a credit back to a closed account. The card company will send you a check.
Correct
Old May 29, 2015, 7:14 pm
In memoriam

Just returned some stuff to Eddie Bauer store which was bought with a closed card. They easily put the refund on another card.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:58 am

1) Costco doesn't care, they will issue refund to any AMEX card you have
2) Even if a card is recently closed (within 2-4 weeks), you can still return stuff and then request a check. I can't even begin to estimate how many times this has happened inadvertently after I've closed a card while my wife has returns in transit in the mail. Never once had an issue with a closed card being rejected for refunds.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:05 am

I returned a big item to Macys that had been purchased online with a credit card and the cashier insisted the refund had to be put back on a debit card. That was fine with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.