Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Miles or points for making car payments by card?

Miles or points for making car payments by card?

Old Sep 17, 12, 11:30 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by vmsea View Post
is there a charge for:
1. Visa Buxx

2. Issuing a money order?

and how do you go from visa buxx to money order?
a M/O for 1000 is only 1.50 from any Post Office.

or save the 1.50 and just write a check to pay off the CC.

My property tax allows CC payments but there is a small charge from my town's website.
Geico insurance allows CC paymens with no extra charge. All my cars and properties are insured with them
Old Sep 17, 12, 12:25 pm

Programs: Several dozen
BUXXs are issued by many. Try Nationwide Bank. There are MO and load fees, but the the cost per 1k of miles is attractive. You buy the MO at your grocer's business counter or at WalMart with the Buxx card (via pin debit).

Originally Posted by vmsea View Post
is there a charge for:
1. Visa Buxx

2. Issuing a money order?

and how do you go from visa buxx to money order?
Old Sep 17, 12, 6:44 pm

After fees for Visabuxx then conversion to a money order - is it any cheaper than just using chargesmart? Is it an appreciable difference? Because the time to complete that transaction (going out to buy a money order, then physically send a money order to your lender etc) sounds pretty unattractive.
Old Jul 1, 13, 3:51 pm

Car payment to Wells Fargo Dealer Services via CC?

I'd like to use a credit card to make my car payment. Payment is around $400/month to Wells Fargo Dealer Services. May only want to do it once in a while to reach a given spend.

Since Wells Fargo Dealer Services doesn't seem to allow payment by CCs, what "direct" options do I have, e.g. would prefer not to make several hops--"buy this, then transfer to that, then make your payment." Would just like to make the payment and be done with it. I expect to pay fees, but hopefully nothing outrageous.

ChargeSmart seems to come up a lot.

The particular card I'm trying to meet spend quickly on is a Citi AA MC. Not sure if that matters.

EDIT: Just checked ChargeSmart.com. Wells Fargo Dealer Services is on their vendor list. And I would only be charged $9.99 in fees to make my car payment. As long as this appears as a purchase on my Citi MC, I can live with that.

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Jul 1, 13 at 4:00 pm
Old Jul 1, 13, 4:04 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy View Post
I'd like to use a credit card to make my car payment. Payment is around $400/month to Wells Fargo Dealer Services. May only want to do it once in a while to reach a given spend.

Since Wells Fargo Dealer Services doesn't seem to allow payment by CCs, what "direct" options do I have, e.g. would prefer not to make several hops--"buy this, then transfer to that, then make your payment." Would just like to make the payment and be done with it. I expect to pay fees, but hopefully nothing outrageous.

ChargeSmart seems to come up a lot.

The particular card I'm trying to meet spend quickly on is a Citi AA MC. Not sure if that matters.

EDIT: Just checked ChargeSmart.com. Wells Fargo Dealer Services is on their vendor list. And I would only be charged $9.99 in fees to make my car payment. As long as this appears as a purchase on my Citi MC, I can live with that.
I've just used Bluebird and VR for the past six months to make my monthly car payment. $3.95 over $9.99, and I've put the VR purchase on the credit card. Seems to reach the same result with minimum hassle and less cost.
Old Jul 1, 13, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
I've just used Bluebird and VR for the past six months to make my monthly car payment. $3.95 over $9.99, and I've put the VR purchase on the credit card. Seems to reach the same result with minimum hassle and less cost.
Thanks, something to consider for the future. Right now, just looking for something I can do in one step, at home from my computer.

But once you've got things set up with BB and VR, it's smooth sailing? Thought I had read about problems people have had finding / purchasing VR cards. My time might be worth more than the difference between the two fees, especially for a one-off payment.

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Jul 1, 13 at 4:27 pm
Old Jul 1, 13, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
which card was this for?

I am looking to meet MS for citi AA and spg amex easily and was thinking about doing vr and bluebird to do this.
Old Jul 4, 13, 10:22 am

ChargeSmart

Took a chance with ChargeSmart today and will see how it goes. If it works with no fuss / no muss, I may make it my Go To way to make an occasional bill pay to meet a particular spend. To me, the fee (around 2.6%?) is worth being able to "move on" and not be concerned that I'm going to miss a minimum spend amount / date.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the lender for my mortgage (SunTrust) is not listed as a vendor on ChargeSmart. Would have been a very quick and easy way to meet a ~1K spend. Anyone know of a service similar to ChargeSmart that would allow me to put my SunTrust mortgage payment on a CC?
Old Jul 4, 13, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy View Post
Took a chance with ChargeSmart today and will see how it goes. If it works with no fuss / no muss, I may make it my Go To way to make an occasional bill pay to meet a particular spend. To me, the fee (around 2.6%?) is worth being able to "move on" and not be concerned that I'm going to miss a minimum spend amount / date.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the lender for my mortgage (SunTrust) is not listed as a vendor on ChargeSmart. Would have been a very quick and easy way to meet a ~1K spend. Anyone know of a service similar to ChargeSmart that would allow me to put my SunTrust mortgage payment on a CC?
Suntrust is a vendor for Amex Bluebird.
Old Jul 4, 13, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by drminn View Post
Suntrust is a vendor for Amex Bluebird.
Thanks Drminn. Definitely an incentive for me to check out Bluebird. Especially in cases where a CC sign-up bonus offer waives the annual fee for the first year. Since any fee paid for my mortgage payment would be much lower than a typical annual fee. Looks like a great way for me to quickly and cleanly meet a 1K minimum spend. Love using the Chase Sapphire as my main card so I'd like to get other spends out of the way.
Old Jul 6, 13, 7:45 am

Success with ChargeSmart

My car payment posted with ChargeSmart helping me meet a particular spend. Happy with the service so far.
Old Oct 24, 13, 9:47 pm

Making car loan payments

I've got an auto loan with BofA and was wondering if there were acceptable -- probably not free -- ways to make payments using CC's to gain points. I know there are 3rd parties who do this but they typically charge ~3% or more for their services, which obviously wouldn't make it worth while.

Has anyone successfully made loan payments with their CC?
Old Oct 24, 13, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by metafor View Post
I've got an auto loan with BofA and was wondering if there were acceptable -- probably not free -- ways to make payments using CC's to gain points. I know there are 3rd parties who do this but they typically charge ~3% or more for their services, which obviously wouldn't make it worth while.

Has anyone successfully made loan payments with their CC?
Have a look at the bill pay threads.
Old Oct 24, 13, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Welcome to the manufactured spending forum. Start here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...er-checks.html, and google bluebird and vanilla reload. Of course there's no reason to actually pay your car loan with the money rather than simply paying off the credit card, but if it makes you happy...

Oh and by the way, do pay your car loan one way or another.
Old Oct 25, 13, 9:51 am

as suggested above...BB and VR...i tried this recently and worked. you just need to make sure you make the payment i think 6 days at least before the due date since it takes bb a few days to cut check and mail it. this was in my case since my bank wasn't listed as a payee with bb.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: