Wiki Posts
Search

Maxing rewards in special category

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Maxing rewards in special category

I've been trying my best to maximize my spending by getting the most points I can, on purchases I make. I've looked at my spending habits and find one area I just can't seem to get any extra points.

I've checked the list over at http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/18605 for categories (very helpful), and online in general. The one category I'm having problems with is I like to go to club events and festivals to see DJs. Now these are showing up as the following most of the time:

Chase: Department Stores; Clothing, Shoes, Catalog Retailers, Jewelry Stores, and Luggage Stores
Amex: Merchandise & Supplies - General Retail

Is my best bet to stick with sapphire pref and get the 1.07 points from UR? Is there some other chase product that will give me better points? I've converted over to UR points these days and been happy. Or possibly pure cash back? I prefer points but if the cash back is better % I'll take it. I spend a decent amount of money in this category and sometimes buy for friends as well.

So this is an area I'm looking to make sure I'm getting bang for my buck. Any creative ideas?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
To be sure I understand correctly, you buy event tickets and the transactions are classified as Department Stores or similar? Where do you buy the tickets?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:01 am

I'd put this sort of general spend on the Starwood Amex. If you transfer to miles programs in 20K units, that's worth 25K miles (or 1.25 mi/pt) for almost everything except UA. Also, US has run occasional promotions in recent years that give an extra bonus, often producing 38.75K miles (or more) per 20K Starwood. And US miles are redeemable for travel on any *A partner, which puts them close to UA miles in value.

Of course, being able to get close to 2 miles/dollar in a Star Alliance program may not last forever, now that US & AA are exploring a merger. Then again, some folks consider SPG points too valuable to use for anything but hotels. (Lucky recently assigned them a ballpark value of 2.2c each.)

YM(heh)MV.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
To be sure I understand correctly, you buy event tickets and the transactions are classified as Department Stores or similar? Where do you buy the tickets?
The main website is http://fla.vor.us/groovetickets that I mostly buy from that are being categorized that way. I have no idea why. I know the merchant picks but it's a weird place to be. This is where I spend the majority. And would like the most help.

Now that I'm looking even more closely The other website is http://www.wantickets.com/

Which now that I look at it shows up as:

Entertainment and Recreation: Includes: Bookstores, Newsstands, Music and Record Stores, Movie Theatres, Movie Rental Stores, Performing Arts Theaters, Amusement Parks, Ticket Agencies, Aquariums, Motor Sports, Sports, and Gaming and Hobby Stores

I spend less money on this website but help on this category maximization would be great too.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Where are you looking up these classifications? In this list an individual merchant would be listed as one of the specific types listed, not in the broad "Entertainment and Recreation" category.:

Entertainment and Recreation: Includes: Bookstores, Newsstands, Music and Record Stores, Movie Theatres, Movie Rental Stores, Performing Arts Theaters, Amusement Parks, Ticket Agencies, Aquariums, Motor Sports, Sports, and Gaming and Hobby Stores
For example, Citi Forward award 5X points for some, but not all, of those merchant types. You would need to know the exact classification of the site to know if it would qualify:

Unless you are participating in a promotional offer, you will earn one ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on purchases (no other transactions qualify to earn ThankYou Points). Promotional offers may allow you to earn more than one ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on purchases at (1) bookstores, (2) record stores, (3) restaurants, including fast food restaurants, (4) motion picture theaters and (5) video entertainment retail stores ("qualifying merchants"). Bookstores are defined as stand-alone merchants that primarily sell, for consumer use, books (including textbooks), magazines, maps and calendars. Record stores are defined as stand-alone merchants that primarily sell, for consumer use, records, compact discs (CDs), music and video laser discs, and blank audio and videotapes. Restaurants, including fast food restaurants, are defined as stand-alone merchants that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant's premises or packaged for carryout. Motion picture theaters are defined as standalone merchants that operate movie theatres and sell tickets as well as refreshments. Video entertainment rental stores are defined as stand-alone merchants that primarily rent videotapes, laser discs, DVDs and video games for consumer use at home.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
Where are you looking up these classifications?
He's quoting the broad categories Chase Blueprint uses, which (as you rightly note) aren't all that helpful in determining how a given merchant is specifically classified.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Where are you looking up these classifications? In this list an individual merchant would be listed as one of the specific types listed, not in the broad "Entertainment and Recreation" category.:

For example, Citi Forward award 5X points for some, but not all, of those merchant types. You would need to know the exact classification of the site to know if it would qualify:
The ones from groove tickets I'm using Chase blueprint for the classification of Department Stores; Clothing, Shoes, Catalog Retailers, Jewelry Stores, and Luggage Stores

I use to use my amex more and dug up some of my old charges, it was classified under Merchandise & Supplies - General Retail

Blueprint from chase showed for wanticket: Entertainment and Recreation: Includes: Bookstores, Newsstands, Music and Record Stores, Movie Theatres, Movie Rental Stores, Performing Arts Theaters, Amusement Parks, Ticket Agencies, Aquariums, Motor Sports, Sports, and Gaming and Hobby Stores

Not sure if the citi forward would hit either of these. Possibly.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beltway
I'd put this sort of general spend on the Starwood Amex. If you transfer to miles programs in 20K units, that's worth 25K miles (or 1.25 mi/pt) for almost everything except UA. Also, US has run occasional promotions in recent years that give an extra bonus, often producing 38.75K miles (or more) per 20K Starwood. And US miles are redeemable for travel on any *A partner, which puts them close to UA miles in value.

Of course, being able to get close to 2 miles/dollar in a Star Alliance program may not last forever, now that US & AA are exploring a merger. Then again, some folks consider SPG points too valuable to use for anything but hotels. (Lucky recently assigned them a ballpark value of 2.2c each.)

YM(heh)MV.
This is something I'll also have to look into I don't know much about the SPG amex. It's a good idea that I may try. But I am open to other suggestions as well for these spends.

He's quoting the broad categories Chase Blueprint uses, which (as you rightly note) aren't all that helpful in determining how a given merchant is specifically classified.
This is correct, and the only way I really know how to find how these are being categorized and I am mostly using my sapphire pref and I use to use an amex gold for these so those are the only data points I can gather to ask for help.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:57 am

This is correct, and the only way I really know how to find how these are being categorized and I am mostly using my sapphire pref and I use to use an amex gold for these so those are the only data points I can gather to ask for help.
You can always call Chase, Citi, or Amex and ask them, for past transactions, how the merchant is categorized. (These things often make no sense at all. My local wine/liquor store is a grocery to Amex, but not to Chase.)

Last edited by mia; Jun 19, 2012 at 11:03 am
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:11 am
Original Poster

You can always call Chase, Citi, or Amex and ask them, for past transactions, how the merchant is categorized. (These things often make no sense at all. My local wine/liquor store is a grocery to Amex, but not to Chase.)
The thing is even with these broad categories I still can't find any cards that would really help max the categories. I could call in and get an exact classification but I don't see anything even close. At least through Chase/amex.

The others I don't have cards from and would be willing if it helped, but I can't call in for those without applying and testing.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Might be good to use a 2% cashback card (like Fidelity Amex) if you can't earn better using other points/miles.

Then you don't even have to worry about the classification.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Might be good to use a 2% cashback card (like Fidelity Amex) if you can't earn better using other points/miles.

Then you don't even have to worry about the classification.
Not a bad idea either. I value my UR points at around 1.5 these days so I guess 2% is a gain but how easy it it to transfer out of the fidelity card? It says "Every time you use your Card, 2% of the purchase can be deposited into the account of your choice" Can I send it right to my bank account or to my account with them and then right to my bank account? Can't seem to find an answer online.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Altoid
I value my UR points at around 1.5 these days
With all due respect, that's a borderline irrational undervaluation:
  • UR points are worth, at a minimum, whatever value one assigns to UA miles. (Lucky recently valued those at 1.8c each.)
  • UR points give flexibility, i.e., can be transfered to numerous different programs. That allows both a) "topping up" to a desired level for an award and b) making a token transfer to reset an expiration clock.
  • Transfers are instantaneous.
  • Transfers can be made to anyone's FF account, not just the UR account owner's. (This enables, among other things, barter for upgrade certs etc.)

Lucky values them at 1.9c, which I think is still lowballing.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Altoid
Not a bad idea either. I value my UR points at around 1.5 these days so I guess 2% is a gain but how easy it it to transfer out of the fidelity card? It says "Every time you use your Card, 2% of the purchase can be deposited into the account of your choice" Can I send it right to my bank account or to my account with them and then right to my bank account? Can't seem to find an answer online.
I really thought there was a thread about this but couldn't find it. I don't use Fidelity as I still have a grandfathered 2% card elsewhere.

However, my understanding is any Fidelity account that can take an ACH deposit will work. So I think a lot of folks use a Fidelity Cash Management account, which has no fees and allows transfers to external banks.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

With all due respect, that's a borderline irrational undervaluation:
  • UR points are worth, at a minimum, whatever value one assigns to UA miles. (Lucky recently valued those at 1.8c each.)
  • UR points give flexibility, i.e., can be transfered to numerous different programs. That allows both a) "topping up" to a desired level for an award and b) making a token transfer to reset an expiration clock.
  • Transfers are instantaneous.
  • Transfers can be made to anyone's FF account, not just the UR account owner's. (This enables, among other things, barter for upgrade certs etc.)

Lucky values them at 1.9c, which I think is still lowballing.
You're absolutely right, I mis-worded it. My minimum for usage is 1.5.

As much as I know they can be worth much more when applied right, for now I would rather fly coach and get more trips. And my trips are mostly short hops with 1-2 transcontinental flights a year and maybe one international a year. In the past I've looked and maybe I'm wrong but that's the number I come up with. Obviously I'd prefer more value, as you can see I'm trying to max what I spend to get more points.

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I really thought there was a thread about this but couldn't find it. I don't use Fidelity as I still have a grandfathered 2% card elsewhere.

However, my understanding is any Fidelity account that can take an ACH deposit will work. So I think a lot of folks use a Fidelity Cash Management account, which has no fees and allows transfers to external banks.
Interesting, it does say I need 5000 points which would be $2500 which maybe a bit if I only put this type of spend on it. I'll keep it in mind but sapphire pref still seems best option. Thanks though, an option I hadn't thought to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.