Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by kebosabi
JCB Gold card holders and above (Platinum, The Class) do have JCB airport lounge access across airports in Japan as well as complimentary Priority Pass, overall benefit being a "meh," especially if you already have OW Sapphire/Emerald or *A Gold status from an airline (i.e.: AA or UA) which gets reciprocal benefits for JAL and ANA domestic lounges within Japan which provide better service than JCB lounges.

That being said, I don't know if Gold, Platinum, The Class cards are even available outside of Japan. Though, perhaps Platinum status can be achieved by invitation as JCB Int'l clearly lists an English page for JCB Platinum cardholders with no mention on how to obtain one: http://www.jcbcard.com/platinum/index.html
Platinum is publicly and widely available in quite a few Asian countries, it seems (Taiwan even has "JCB Precious", which seems to be equivalent to "The Class" in Japan). Singapore in particular might be the reason they have the English-language page.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by billatq
Just to update this post, it looks like Google wallet is no-go on the RFID ("this card is not supported"), which is a bit of a shame because that would bolster acceptance in some cases, especially for drugstores.

I've found that the general rule for this card is that it'll work in large chains where they're likely to either directly take JCB or have the JCB/UnionPay add-on for their Discover merchant account, assuming they take Discover at all.

Places so far where I've successfully used it:
* Canteen Vending Machines
* McDonald's
* Starbucks
* Target
* Taco Del Mar
* Menchie's
* Whole Foods
* Amazon.com
* Uwajimaya
* Kroger/QFC
* American Airlines
* 7-11
* Square (or rather every business that uses Square)
* J. Crew
* Old Navy
* Trader Joe's
* Most fuel stations (Chevron, Union 76, etc., though some require that you go inside)

Places where it's been declined:
* Japanese-owned companies that only take MC/Visa, e.g. Daiso, Sarku, etc.
* Smaller businesses that take Discover (they're unlikely to have JCB/UnionPay enabled for their merchant account)

I've found that most cashiers (at least in the Pacific Northwest) are intrigued enough about the card to slide it and see what happens.

It seems that while they don't have online banking, they do have an automated phone banking system that's a bit of a throwback to the mid-90's, but gets the job done.
To add a few to this list, I've successfully used the card at CVS and the USPS, both of which process the card as JCB rather than Discover, as well as Walmart and Walgreen's (where it shows as Discover on the receipt). Was not able to use the card at a Pizza Hut even though they had the JCB logo on the door, but perhaps that was the cashier's incompetence. Only tried that once as I don't go there often. Have had some success and some failure at some local non-franchise restaurants I go to which take Discover. It seems for card-present transactions it works as Discover only if the merchant's software can recognize a JCB card and process it as Discover. Otherwise a 16-digit number beginning with 3 gets rejected as an invalid card number (real Discovers are 16-digit numbers beginning with 6, normally a card beginning with 3 is Amex but 15 digits). It's a real shame you can't use the card to buy Amex GC.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
For anyone interested, JCB USA is running a sweepstakes right now in which you might win a trip for two to Japan. The ad for this sweepstakes is at Marukai and Mitsuwa as well as numerous Japanese free info mags here in LA, rules state it's open for all 50 states, might give it shot?

https://www.jcbusa.com/sweepstakes
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:51 am

It looks like JCB *finally* has online access. It doesn't look like any banking site I've ever seen, but it does almost everything that you'd like.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Really? Do you have the link?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by greglvnv
Really? Do you have the link?
http://www.jcbusa.com and click "Online Statement".

To register the first time, you put in your card number as the username and then for the password, you put in the first two letters of your first name, the first two letters of your last name and the last four digits of the card.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:31 am

Now that there is online billpay (I'm assuming) via the new website, I was looking into picking up this card to do some manufactured spend with. Anyone have any experience with MS or pushing credit limits, shutdowns, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:25 am

No way to get this without living on the west coast, right?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
No way to get this without living on the west coast, right?
Directly from JCB USA FAQ section:

Do I have to be a resident of the United States to apply?

Yes. The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or valid visa holder AND must reside in one of the following states:

JCB Standard or Mitsuwa JCB Card
California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon or Washington

Marukai Premium and Marukai JCB Card (California)
California, Nevada, Oregon or Washington

Marukai Premium and Marukai JCB Card (Hawaii)
Hawaii
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Directly from JCB USA FAQ section:

Do I have to be a resident of the United States to apply?

Yes. The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or valid visa holder AND must reside in one of the following states:

JCB Standard or Mitsuwa JCB Card
California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon or Washington

Marukai Premium and Marukai JCB Card (California)
California, Nevada, Oregon or Washington

Marukai Premium and Marukai JCB Card (Hawaii)
Hawaii
I meant unofficially/via workarounds.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 1:26 pm

I don't think there's anything more straight-forward than "The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or valid visa holder AND must reside in one of the following states: California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon or Washington."

If you have a family or relative who lives in those states and they won't mind letting them use their address, give it a shot?

Otherwise, you can buy a plot of land and build a small house in any of these states (hey, CA is darn cheap if you don't live in the Bay Area, LA-OC area, or San Diego), though I doubt anyone would go so far to do that for a JCB card.

I also don't know what happens if a JCB cardholder who moves to another state either. Say for example, say my mom who has a Marukai JCB card who currently lives in Los Angeles, CA decides to retire to Tucson, AZ. Don't know if JCB will cancel it or she gets to keep her card.

Last edited by kebosabi; Oct 10, 2013 at 1:33 pm
Old Oct 10, 2013, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tough with anything financial. You maybe able to find a friend/relative in those states where you can "move" to. But JCB will check that against your credit report.

Last edited by TerryK; Oct 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 10, 2013, 1:43 pm

Obtaining an US-issued JCB card can have it's hassles thanks to this "and must reside in one of the following states" clause.

But from JCB USA's POV, why should they? They are doing fine as it is with a small cardholder base with just these 9 states alone, they don't see much of a benefit to expand to other 41 states.

Last edited by kebosabi; Oct 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm
Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:07 pm

Bump

Just bumping this as I'm looking for answers to my post above from those of you who have the card...anyone doing manufactured spending? Trying to decide if the card is worth getting or if I should pickup the arrival card for domestic flights, car rental, etc.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Account

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.