Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 16, 18, 9:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 9, 18, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by HGHUA View Post
Noooo, that card is one of my favorites! Now what am I supposed to use for Apple Music Japan?
Guess you'll have to buy marked up Japanese gift cards from resellers like the rest of us.

I assumed this was coming since Mitsuwa Marketplace expanded to Texas but JCBUSA did not.
Old Jan 9, 18, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by photaco View Post
Guess you'll have to buy marked up Japanese gift cards from resellers like the rest of us.
Maybe purchase several subscription gift cards prior to April?

https://www.apple.com/jp/shop/gift-c...sic-electronic

I'm sad to see it go. A lot of work and 2 HPs to get the card and haven't had the chance to either build up enough points for redemption or use it for discounts in Japan.

Very quirky customer service (like calling to have a different mailing address than my street address and the rep mentioning that I'd need to call back closer to my card expiration if I also wanted my replacement card to go to my mailing address) that I'll miss too. I liked that it was different from just about every other card in the wallet.
Old Jan 9, 18, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just paid my AF, wonder if they have to refund it prorated...?
Old Jan 12, 18, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Their response to my email. Maybe the decision is still being made?

Thank you for contacting JCB.

We regret to inform you that we are no longer accepting new applications as of January 3, 2018. The JCB US Card issuing program is currently under evaluation, but most likely will be discontinued. The timeframe is still under consideration, and we will inform you once it is finalized, in advance.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

JCB International Credit Card Co., Ltd.
Old Jan 21, 18, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Just paid my AF, wonder if they have to refund it prorated...?
+1 was surprised to see the annual fee on my latest bill.

As much as I like JCB they will receive a lesson on US class action litigation if they cancel the card and fail to reverse the fee.
Old Feb 9, 18, 5:30 pm

Thumbs down JCB USA pulling out of American consumer credit card market in April 2018

JCB USA is pulling out of the consumer credit card market in America. Current accounts will be active until April 30, 2018 and closed thereafter. JCB Standard, Mitsuwa, and Mitsuwa JCB cards issued within the United States are all discontinued. Cash back points are redeemable until May 31, 2018. Foreign (Japanese) JCB cards will still work through the Discover network.
Old Feb 9, 18, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1.5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, *iott Lifetime Plat Premier (Ambassador thru 1/20), Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by bbbc View Post
JCB USA is pulling out of the consumer credit card market in America. Current accounts will be active until April 30, 2018 and closed thereafter. JCB Standard, Mitsuwa, and Mitsuwa JCB cards issued within the United States are all discontinued. Cash back points are redeemable until May 31, 2018. Foreign (Japanese) JCB cards will still work through the Discover network.
This was already mentioned in another JCB thread here. Interesting comment on Glassdoor.com last year eluding to this:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/JC...ws-E767972.htm
Old Feb 9, 18, 6:36 pm

Wish they could give you the option to product change to a Japanese JCB card. Sad days. Hope ICBC doesn't pull the same stunt as well with their UP card.
Old Feb 9, 18, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wish they could give you the option to product change to a Japanese JCB card......
Why bother? Very few, if any, USA card holders can qualify for Japanese JCB card which requires Japanese mailing address and bank reference.
Old Feb 10, 18, 1:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by bbbc View Post
Was this in a notice from JCB? I haven't received anything directly from JCB so far and no mention in my January billing statement. Website still just says not accepting new applications.
Old Feb 10, 18, 3:24 am

Programs: Amex, JP Morgan, Diners Club, Nexus
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post

Was this in a notice from JCB? I haven't received anything directly from JCB so far and no mention in my January billing statement. Website still just says not accepting new applications.
A separate mailer was sent out directly from JCB in English and Japanese. Sad news as that is what I used in Japan.
Old Feb 10, 18, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Hope ICBC doesn't pull the same stunt as well with their UP card.
I could actually see that happening since everyone in China's using WeChat and Alipay to pay for stuff now. Then again, ICBC may also end up getting their US cards working on either or both of those platforms (I seem to remember that they didn't work, though that was a while ago).
Old Feb 10, 18, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Just received the mailer confirming cards will be kaput as of May 1, 2018. Annual fee will be prorated and points can be redeemed until May 31.

To sweeten the exit exit the flyer offers a promo of $15 bonus points for $1000 spend or $50 bonus per $5000 spend from Jan 1-March 31, 2018. . A bit odd but hard to pass up the nice ROI at least for $1k. Will miss this card and all it’s quirks.
Old Feb 10, 18, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

I can't overstate how much I loved the quirkiness of this card. And it goes out with a big bang: Today I find in my mail the cancellation notice ... and a new card.

rustykettel likes this.
Old Feb 11, 18, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
Just received the mailer confirming cards will be kaput as of May 1, 2018. Annual fee will be prorated and points can be redeemed until May 31.

To sweeten the exit exit the flyer offers a promo of $15 bonus points for $1000 spend or $50 bonus per $5000 spend from Jan 1-March 31, 2018. . A bit odd but hard to pass up the nice ROI at least for $1k. Will miss this card and all itís quirks.
The exit bonus thing is bizarre. I wonder how they intend to pay the bonus after it's done. I suppose with a check?

Search this Thread