Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Old May 6, 2014, 10:55 am

My question would be will I have to prove my address? I moved to California about 2 months ago and would love to apply for this card, but I haven't changed my license over as I am temporarily staying with friends until I find a place of my own. No point to change my license twice.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
When I originally applied, I had to send them a copy of my DL and proof of income but I believe they might want to match the address on the application and your credit report, so address on DL will not matter. JCB reminds me of a conservative bank outside the U.S. that verifies everything before they issue any credit and once approved, your CL is so ridiculously low that you can only use it for daily purchases, none of major or business purchases.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:12 am

Anyone know a way to get this to process as Discover for Amex GC purchases? I haven't been able to crack the nut yet.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by makinbutter
Anyone know a way to get this to process as Discover for Amex GC purchases? I haven't been able to crack the nut yet.
JCB only works as a Discover for in-person transactions only. If you manage to get it to work online, it's generally an accident.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by billatq
JCB only works as a Discover for in-person transactions only. If you manage to get it to work online, it's generally an accident.
As someone who has an online side business, I didn't realize this until now. I had actually turned on JCB over at authorize.net since I take Discover, but have never been able to test. I wonder how difficult (and how expensive per transaction) it would be to legitimately accept JCB.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
As someone who has an online side business, I didn't realize this until now. I had actually turned on JCB over at authorize.net since I take Discover, but have never been able to test. I wonder how difficult (and how expensive per transaction) it would be to legitimately accept JCB.
Technically what I said is slightly inaccurate, since my reply was geared towards people trying to use it on websites for manufactured spend. JCB in the US is processed on the back-end using Discover, but it's not generally on, and it almost never works for websites as Discover because the bin numbers are filtered.

You can test JCB on authorize.net using the number here: http://developer.authorize.net/testingfaqs/
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Technically what I said is slightly inaccurate, since my reply was geared towards people trying to use it on websites for manufactured spend. JCB in the US is processed on the back-end using Discover, but it's not generally on, and it almost never works for websites as Discover because the bin numbers are filtered.

You can test JCB on authorize.net using the number here: http://developer.authorize.net/testingfaqs/
I got "an error occurred during processing" when trying the JCB test number on authorize.net and a decline when trying the Visa one. However, I got a decline when trying JCB's instructions, which makes me think that JCB works okay.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by tmiw
Luckily, you live in CA so you could apply for a JCB card if you wanted to and test it out yourself. And there is a Marukai in San Diego (Kearny Mesa) so there is some use for it if you want to do some shopping at a Japanese grocery store.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Luckily, you live in CA so you could apply for a JCB card if you wanted to and test it out yourself. And there is a Marukai in San Diego (Kearny Mesa) so there is some use for it if you want to do some shopping at a Japanese grocery store.
True. I'd consider it if I were still in the CB game since it's 3% instead of the normal 1-2%.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Chase UR/Amex SPG/UA
I'd like to know the maximum CL. of this card.
I've got the card with CL $2500 on Mar., increased to $4,000 on Dec. (I requested $10,000)
Did anyone go even higher?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by malice
I'd like to know the maximum CL. of this card.
I've got the card with CL $2500 on Mar., increased to $4,000 on Dec. (I requested $10,000)
Did anyone go even higher?
Their FAQ says that the maximum line they give anyone is 12k: https://www.jcbusa.com/customer-service/faq/
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: SPG
Their FAQ says that the maximum line they give anyone is 12k: https://www.jcbusa.com/customer-service/faq/
was told to call back again at 800 366 4522 M-F from 9am for CC limit increase. maybe they have a separate center to handle it.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by babykoala
was told to call back again at 800 366 4522 M-F from 9am for CC limit increase. maybe they have a separate center to handle it.
I called the regular customer service number for that. They do a hard pull and validate employment with a paystub if they can't get it from the credit report.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Hawaii Marukai JCB holder here. The card's fun and unique (at least in North America), but the one thing that gets me is JCB cashback points are awarded on spending at "lumpy" $100 intervals, so you're always taking some sort of small loss vis-a-vis most other reward cards.

That said, this card is wonderfully fun when you're at a place Japanese tourists frequent. You have access to the JCB Plazas with have free Wi-Fi, drinks, and coupons inside them.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by msp3
Hawaii Marukai JCB holder here. The card's fun and unique (at least in North America), but the one thing that gets me is JCB cashback points are awarded on spending at "lumpy" $100 intervals, so you're always taking some sort of small loss vis-a-vis most other reward cards.

That said, this card is wonderfully fun when you're at a place Japanese tourists frequent. You have access to the JCB Plazas with have free Wi-Fi, drinks, and coupons inside them.
I PM'd you msp3 but I just wanted the opinions of those who have this card as well. What was your credit scores and did you have any recent inquiries at the time of applying?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.