Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.625% travel credits.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
BankAmericard Travel Rewards Credit Card

20K points after $1,000 spend within 90 days.
No annual fee
No foreign transaction fees

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...credit-card.go
Print Wikipost

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.625% travel credits.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by dukerau
You can put the 100k in Merrill to get the 75% bonus on rewards.
You've got my interest now. Time to sharpen my pencil...
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by mile ho
You've got my interest now. Time to sharpen my pencil...
and with 100k in plat honors, you get 100 free equity/ETF trades per month (50k = 30 trades)... AND unlimited domestic ATM reimbursements (BoA won't charge you a fee, will reimburse 3rd party ATM fees)

pretty much worth it if 100k are securities

100k in cash in a 0.10%(?) BoA checking/savings account won't be worth it

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 7, 2014 at 8:23 pm
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by mia
Note also that there is an annual 10% rewards bonus if you have a Bank of America or Merrill Lynch account. This raises the rebate to 1.65% .
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Got this card last year and it looks like the 10% bonus is based on the actual spend of the year. We spent about 4,400 last year on this card and we got a bonus of 440 points. So the final rebate is 1.60 per $.
Got a mail saying that the program has changed and the 10% bonus is based on the spend points earned i.e. on 1.5 points/$ and so the rate is now 1.65%. Also bonus to be awarded every month. Changes to be effective starting Feb.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:25 am

Got a mail saying that the program has changed and the 10% bonus is based on the spend points earned i.e. on 1.5 points/$ and so the rate is now 1.65%. Also bonus to be awarded every month. Changes to be effective starting Feb.
What the Premium rewards tier? Are they going to change or stay the same.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by trikotret
What the Premium rewards tier? Are they going to change or stay the same.
Dunno.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Most of BOA's cards are not eligible for the bonus reward. Just read the fine print:

"Cards not eligible for the rewards bonus:
Non-rewards credit cards
Business purpose credit cards
BankAmericard Privileges® (except Cash Rewards customers in the Platinum Honors tier)
Bank of America Accolades®
BankAmericard® Better Balance Rewards™
Merrill Lynch branded (including Merrill Accolades®, MERRILL+®, Total Merrill® Cash Back, Total Merrill Match® and Merrill Lynch® Octave™)
U.S. Trust branded (including Bank of America Accolades and U.S. Trust® Octave™)
AAA Dollars® Visa credit card
AAA® Gas Rebate
Alaska Airlines®
Amway™
Asiana Airlines®
Azamara Club Cruises®
Bass Pro Shops®
Celebrity Cruises®
Elite Rewards®
MelaleucaSM
Royal Caribbean International®
Spirit Airlines®
US Airways®
Virgin Atlantic Airways®"

Last edited by MVF Trekker; Dec 24, 2014 at 8:36 pm
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:03 pm

Does the BOA travel rewards visa report the credit limit to all the 3 agencies? If not is there a platinum plus version instead of signature?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by quizzer25
Does the BOA travel rewards visa report the credit limit to all the 3 agencies? If not is there a platinum plus version instead of signature?
Yes and yes. 5K+ gets you the signature and anything less you get the platiplus version instead.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by anam
Yes and yes. 5K+ gets you the signature and anything less you get the platiplus version instead.
Thank you. My current better balance visa has a 10K credit limit. So guessing the converted travel rewards will be a visa signature then based on your response.

Do you know BOA PC is just a soft credit inquiry and not a hard pull?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
This card with preferred rewards isthe best card on the market for everyday expending.

With $100k+ on BoA you get 75% bonus points for a total of 2.62 per dollar spent. Which is more than the arrival plus. Also it has no annual fee, making it even better for the long term. And of course no foreign transaction fees with EMV. The only minor drawback if that it is visa and I prefer mastercard world elite for travelling insurance etc etc.

Another great thing is the BoA travel reward portal which in my oppinion is better than barclays and somethimes UR because you have many many more options including points for AA.com . Also you have bankofamerideals which change every month and offer from 5-20% cash back online or in store.

Overall it is a very nice card for travel statement credits.
Originally Posted by paperwastage
and with 100k in plat honors, you get 100 free equity/ETF trades per month (50k = 30 trades)... AND unlimited domestic ATM reimbursements (BoA won't charge you a fee, will reimburse 3rd party ATM fees)

pretty much worth it if 100k are securities

100k in cash in a 0.10%(?) BoA checking/savings account won't be worth it
Transferred money into Merril Edge rollover account last week. I have three questions:
1. How to start choosing the funds inside the IRA to invest the roll over 401k money?
2. Where is the option not to select merril edge advisor and instead chhose to do on our own?
3. When do I get the platinum honors status? How to check when I get it?

Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by quizzer25
Transferred money into Merril Edge rollover account last week. I have three questions:
1. How to start choosing the funds inside the IRA to invest the roll over 401k money?
2. Where is the option not to select merril edge advisor and instead chhose to do on our own?
3. When do I get the platinum honors status? How to check when I get it?

Thanks
1. Nobody can really tell you which funds to choose as it depends on your individual investment profile, experience, and opinion. Most experienced investors understand the importance of diversification. Merrill has plenty of options. I have the majority of my money split between fixed income and a number of established ETFs by Blackrock, Vanguard, Oppenheimer, etc. If you don't feel comfortable investing yourself or balancing your portfolio, I strongly recommend not going the Self Directed route. There are basically three options at Merrill:

a). Self Directed IRA (you manage your own IRA and advisors can't give you any advice about investment. You get up to 100 trades per month for free - i.e. no commission).

b). Advised Account (you work with an advisor who helps you select and place orders for funds. Trades can be ~$50-$100 per trade).

c). Managed Portfolio account ($20,000 minimum balance, 1% annual fee based on total assets in the account. You pick your "investment profile" [e.g. very conservative] and a professional team of Merrill managers invests on your behalf. You have no say in what funds they invest in, but get a detailed breakdown of your portfolio).

2. You need to open a "Self Directed IRA" to do your own non-advised investing. You can rollover an existing IRA into a self-directed IRA.

3. It should happen automatically within 30 days or so, but I would just call them and ask them to upgrade you. They're usually able to do it over the phone right away if you meet the eligibility requirements.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by whereami22
1. Nobody can really tell you which funds to choose as it depends on your individual investment profile, experience, and opinion. Most experienced investors understand the importance of diversification. Merrill has plenty of options. I have the majority of my money split between fixed income and a number of established ETFs by Blackrock, Vanguard, Oppenheimer, etc. If you don't feel comfortable investing yourself or balancing your portfolio, I strongly recommend not going the Self Directed route. There are basically three options at Merrill:

a). Self Directed IRA (you manage your own IRA and advisors can't give you any advice about investment. You get up to 100 trades per month for free - i.e. no commission).

b). Advised Account (you work with an advisor who helps you select and place orders for funds. Trades can be ~$50-$100 per trade).

c). Managed Portfolio account ($20,000 minimum balance, 1% annual fee based on total assets in the account. You pick your "investment profile" [e.g. very conservative] and a professional team of Merrill managers invests on your behalf. You have no say in what funds they invest in, but get a detailed breakdown of your portfolio).

2. You need to open a "Self Directed IRA" to do your own non-advised investing. You can rollover an existing IRA into a self-directed IRA.

3. It should happen automatically within 30 days or so, but I would just call them and ask them to upgrade you. They're usually able to do it over the phone right away if you meet the eligibility requirements.
Thanks for your response.

Can the rollover to self IRA be done online or should I call the ME number?
I'm planning to invest in vanguard ETF's like VTI, VXUS, VWO, VEA etc.

If I transferred $100K and want to split between these ETF's, will it equate to 300 units of QQQ, 100 units of VTI...assuming the price/unit is 100? Do I need to "trade" to get this in place?

QQQ Powershares QQQ Trust SR1 - 30% 30,000 30000/today price (100) = 300
VTI Vanguard total stock market ETF - 10% 10,000
VOT vanguard mid cap growth - 15% 15000
VO Vanguard mid cap ETF 15% 15000
ASCWV ishares all country world minimum - 20% 20000
BLV vanguard long term bond 10% 10000

Last edited by quizzer25; Apr 17, 2015 at 11:13 pm Reason: Added sample calculation
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:20 pm

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.1% travel credits.

anyone know where you find the benefits of the card for example purchase protection against lost and damage, car rental coverage, trip cancelation and delay, etc etc etc
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Why someone changed this to 2.1% on the topic? Its 2.62%...
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
anyone know where you find the benefits of the card for example purchase protection against lost and damage, car rental coverage, trip cancelation and delay, etc etc etc
They aren't online. It's all the standard ones plus a separate concierge (not the VSig one). No primary rental insurance, nothing noteworthy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.