Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Metal Credit Cards, Important to you? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Metal Credit Cards, Important to you? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Ahhh... so that's why the margins on this page are all messed up.

And why is the card that color???
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by agp423
Ahhh... so that's why the margins on this page are all messed up.

And why is the card that color???
The margins are messed up because the poster who posted that picture didn't shrink the picture to normal size!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:11 pm

my apologies it wouldn't let me change the size from the original link.

the card is that color because it's one of the offered colors. it's actually really neat. if you hold it at a very sharp angle the blue turns to a very dark purple. it's chromatic qualities are pretty interesting.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by atlasspeaks
my apologies it wouldn't let me change the size from the original link.

the card is that color because it's one of the offered colors. it's actually really neat. if you hold it at a very sharp angle the blue turns to a very dark purple. it's chromatic qualities are pretty interesting.
You would need to download the original pic, resize it, then re-upload it here. Too much trouble though
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Looks pretty neat. Is it a credit card? Or I can only buy Hyundai's with it?
Even though Hyundai only exports cheap cars that require long warranties for people overseas to buy them, they are a straight up conglomerate back home.

Think General Electric on steroids. They make electronics, they own banks, they own restaurants, the make wool for suits, they make furniture, they have grocery stores, etc... When I lived in Seoul I read somewhere that The top 7 conglomerates (chaebol in Korean) make up 60 percent of GDP or something.

Samsung is the biggest but you also have lg, Hyundai, and a few others you've probably never heard of. Americans typically have no idea because everything Korean except cars and electronics (and cars is getting more iffy) is either uncompetitive vs other products that make their way into American stores, or too foreign to the American palate.

Oh, and they also have huge control of politics in the country. Sure the USA has some of that too, but not to the same degree. Te chairman of Samsung was jailed for something and pardoned shortly thereafter. Jailed execs in the us don't tend to get pardoned.

If ever a country needed a Sherman act...

...sorry if I seem to be mud slinging here - I enjoyed my time in the country and its people - my negativity is solely for the chaebol
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
Yeah. The Marriott is same as the csp (metal sandwiched with plastic on both sides) while I suspect the ritz is made with the sae process as the palladium. It's 100% metal with black paint on it. Glorious clang on any hard surface
Is the Marriott EMV still the same as the CSP? Somehow I heard that the Marriott EMV is the same as the Metal Ritz-Carlton, while some have said the new RC is twice as heavy. <---- Just an aesthetic ponder...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:37 am

Question: What if a third-party company offered to replace your current plastic card with a metal one. You could send in the CC details, then they could engrave/print on the new metal card and transfer the magnetic strip info (not much data is stored on the mag strip).

Now obviously this would present an issue for CC's that have an electronic chip in them.

Any companies out there offering this? Thought this was an interesting idea.

Joe
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by a260070
Question: What if a third-party company offered to replace your current plastic card with a metal one. You could send in the CC details, then they could engrave/print on the new metal card and transfer the magnetic strip info (not much data is stored on the mag strip).

Now obviously this would present an issue for CC's that have an electronic chip in them.

Joe
It's a cool idea...I'm almost tempted to try it out myself.

But one might argue that you're effectively cloning cards, and I'm guessing there's probably some law against that..?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:10 am

I don't see how cloning a card would be any different than getting an imprint. It is the same information.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by SFO94103
Is the Marriott EMV still the same as the CSP? Somehow I heard that the Marriott EMV is the same as the Metal Ritz-Carlton, while some have said the new RC is twice as heavy. <---- Just an aesthetic ponder...
Except for the chip csp and Marriott card the same and ritz is twice as heavy as both. I have all 3
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:09 am

I'm curious if the Chase Fairmont Card is also metal? It would seem to make sense given the trend.

Last edited by halfleafclover; Feb 17, 2014 at 12:26 am
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by a260070

Old thread, but there is such a company, appropriately called MetalCreditCard.com.

They clone the magstripe, but since they can't copy the chip, they offer what they call a Redundancy EMV Chip, which generates an intentional error after dipping so that a swipe will be accepted.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by pdxer
Old thread, but there is such a company, appropriately called MetalCreditCard.com.

They clone the magstripe, but since they can't copy the chip, they offer what they call a Redundancy EMV Chip, which generates an intentional error after dipping so that a swipe will be accepted.
I guess some people are willing to spend their money on that. I already have the Ritz ava Barclay gold, so I think I'm good on that front.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by pdxer

If I worked at a store and saw that I would attempt to seize it. Also, THIS is why banks should freaking decline fallback. It ticks me off when banks approve it.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by AllieKat
If I worked at a store and saw that I would attempt to seize it. Also, THIS is why banks should freaking decline fallback. It ticks me off when banks approve it.
Why would you attempt to seize it, it's pretty much like the coin card. Would you try to seize a Ritz card or a black card if they're chip wasn't working? And have fun trying to seize it from someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.