Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:25 am

Applied for 2 cards this morning. First one auto-approved for 21k. Second went pending. Called recon - was seen as a duplicate but told the agent that I was hoping to get approved for both. Agent says cannot be approved for more than one Alaska card at the same time (I mentioned moving some credit line but no go). Status on second app now showing denied.

Assume I should just throw in the towel?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:51 am

i am surprised that people are not concerned with alaska closing their accounts when they go and apply for 2-3 cards at once these days, just because you are approved for more than one it doesn't mean its a good idea to do so. the previous abuse of the product is what made alaska go after certain people and hijack their miles and close their accounts, you guys should take it easy on this card, just my 2c.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by ninim2200
i am surprised that people are not concerned with alaska closing their accounts when they go and apply for 2-3 cards at once these days, just because you are approved for more than one it doesn't mean its a good idea to do so. the previous abuse of the product is what made alaska go after certain people and hijack their miles and close their accounts, you guys should take it easy on this card, just my 2c.
Wasted words here, I'm afraid.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:41 am

I am looking for some advice on how to handle my daughter's situation (I will admit I read back through some of this thread but didn't make it through all the pages)

She is attending college in Washington and flies Alaska regularly to/from Seattle. I've had the Visa Signature card for over a year and found the companion fare and miles to be a good benefit/worth the annual fee.

My daughter and I recently planned a trip to Hawaii next spring break. Daughter wants to bring her boyfriend along however fares from Austin are pricey. So we devised a strategy to have her apply for the Visa Signature card (since they mailed her an offer for it).

She applied, got a letter she was approved (along with disclosing her credit score is 728).

Sadly, the card arrived in the mail and it was the Classic card (no mention anywhere that the card approved was NOT the card applied for). Anyway, we are both extremely angry since we put a hefty non-refundable deposit down for a rental in Hawaii thinking she was approved for the Visa Signature card with the companion fare. If we can't use the companion fare to get her and her boyfriend to Hawaii we are out ~ another $1200 for airfare or we cancel our trip and lose the rental deposit.

Her approved CL was for $1200. I am thinking she should call and ask for the Platinum Plus card with the $2K limit (which comes with the companion fare)? From some of the previous posts I am not sure I understand the process to make this happen.

Any advice is much appreciated... trying to get 6 people to agree on dates and a spot to vacation is hard enough without this snafu.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by m3lissa
I am looking for some advice on how to handle my daughter's situation (I will admit I read back through some of this thread but didn't make it through all the pages)

She is attending college in Washington and flies Alaska regularly to/from Seattle. I've had the Visa Signature card for over a year and found the companion fare and miles to be a good benefit/worth the annual fee.

My daughter and I recently planned a trip to Hawaii next spring break. Daughter wants to bring her boyfriend along however fares from Austin are pricey. So we devised a strategy to have her apply for the Visa Signature card (since they mailed her an offer for it).

She applied, got a letter she was approved (along with disclosing her credit score is 728).

Sadly, the card arrived in the mail and it was the Classic card (no mention anywhere that the card approved was NOT the card applied for). Anyway, we are both extremely angry since we put a hefty non-refundable deposit down for a rental in Hawaii thinking she was approved for the Visa Signature card with the companion fare. If we can't use the companion fare to get her and her boyfriend to Hawaii we are out ~ another $1200 for airfare or we cancel our trip and lose the rental deposit.

Her approved CL was for $1200. I am thinking she should call and ask for the Platinum Plus card with the $2K limit (which comes with the companion fare)? From some of the previous posts I am not sure I understand the process to make this happen.

Any advice is much appreciated... trying to get 6 people to agree on dates and a spot to vacation is hard enough without this snafu.

One option may be for you to apply for a second signature card and get an additional certificate. From the Alaska Mileage Plan Q&A's;

Who can use my Companion Fare Discount Code?
The Mileage Plan™ member who owns the Companion Fare Discount Code must either be one of the travelers or the purchaser of the reservation. If the member is allowing two travelers to use his or her Companion Fare Discount Code, then the member's name must match the name on the credit card used to purchase the reservation.

If you were to use a second companion pass in the manner stated above, wouldn't the cost be the same as using your daughter's companion pass?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by traveler9020
One option may be for you to apply for a second signature card and get an additional certificate. From the Alaska Mileage Plan Q&A's;

Who can use my Companion Fare Discount Code?
The Mileage Plan™ member who owns the Companion Fare Discount Code must either be one of the travelers or the purchaser of the reservation. If the member is allowing two travelers to use his or her Companion Fare Discount Code, then the member's name must match the name on the credit card used to purchase the reservation.

If you were to use a second companion pass in the manner stated above, wouldn't the cost be the same as using your daughter's companion pass?
Good idea - Thank you!

Would you recommend I apply for a second Visa Signature card (same as I already have) or would I apply for one of the other products that appear to offer: The Platinum Plus® MasterCard® and the Visa® Business card?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:24 pm

Good idea - Thank you!

Would you recommend I apply for a second Visa Signature card (same as I already have) or would I apply for one of the other products that appear to offer: The Platinum Plus® MasterCard® and the Visa® Business card?
I'd go for the Signature.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:43 am

She is attending college.

Her approved CL was for $1200.
What $$ did you put down for income? Does she have other credit cards?

Just trying to get data points on different banks for my kids' apps. Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by MadMadso

M3lissa, do you have an Alaska Air Sig personal or BIZ card yourself? If your income is MUCH higher than your daughter's, and you have one or less existing Alaska Air cards, and you have not applied in the last 90 days nor do you have more than perhaps 5 inquiries in the last yr, you should apply for BOTH the Alaska Air Sig personal AND BIZ cards at the same time. Remember, most banks allow you to use total household income when stating your income on the app form. If you have EVER sold anything online on Ebay or Amazon, you have a business and may qualify for the biz card.

There is almost no risk in doing this, and it seems you have few accumulated Alaska miles in your account, so you might as well go for it.

You could get 50K miles (25 x 2) within 10 business days if all goes well, then you book your daughter's ticket and BF using miles from YOUR account. You do not have to travel to book for another using miles.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by MadMadso

She put down $10K for income. She has one other CC with WF. I don't recall the CL but it's relatively low (<$2K).

Originally Posted by fletchbo
M3lissa, do you have an Alaska Air Sig personal or BIZ card yourself? If your income is MUCH higher than your daughter's, and you have one or less existing Alaska Air cards, and you have not applied in the last 90 days nor do you have more than perhaps 5 inquiries in the last yr, you should apply for BOTH the Alaska Air Sig personal AND BIZ cards at the same time. Remember, most banks allow you to use total household income when stating your income on the app form. If you have EVER sold anything online on Ebay or Amazon, you have a business and may qualify for the biz card.

There is almost no risk in doing this, and it seems you have few accumulated Alaska miles in your account, so you might as well go for it.

You could get 50K miles (25 x 2) within 10 business days if all goes well, then you book your daughter's ticket and BF using miles from YOUR account. You do not have to travel to book for another using miles.
I have a Visa Signature card myself. I haven't had any inquires on my credit in the past year. Yes, my income is substantially higher than my daughters. Sounds like the business card is the way to go (I have sold on ebay). Unfortunately, even with another 25,000 miles that won't help much. The return flights in March have already sold out of mileage availability. It's really the companion fare I need.

If I already have one Visa Signature card I shouldn't apply for a second and instead should apply for the Alaska business card?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
She put down $10K for income. She has one other CC with WF. I don't recall the CL but it's relatively low (<$2K).

I have a Visa Signature card myself. I haven't had any inquires on my credit in the past year. Yes, my income is substantially higher than my daughters. Sounds like the business card is the way to go (I have sold on ebay). Unfortunately, even with another 25,000 miles that won't help much. The return flights in March have already sold out of mileage availability. It's really the companion fare I need.

If I already have one Visa Signature card I shouldn't apply for a second and instead should apply for the Alaska business card?
If you've had that personal AS card for over 3 months, it's time to apply for another one, regardless of upcoming travel plans.

No need to close a single AS card before applying for another one. But if you have a fairly high CL, and fairly high is lower for B of A than for most other banks, you might want to lower the CL on the open card a few weeks before applying for another one. It takes a CL of $5K to get a Sig card, but once it's issued there is no problem lowering the CL to say $3K to make it easier to get an instant approval on a second card.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
So it's been 2 weeks since I applied for both personal cards. The first was instant approval, but the 2nd is still pending. I called today and they told me for the 3rd time that it is approved, but still under review. Not sure what that means. Both cards show 17k CL on their end though. I never get CLs that high with other banks.
Almost 3 weeks later and my card #2 now appears in my BOA account. The application status page is saying the decision was reached the same day I applied, so I have no idea why it took this long, but either way I'm glad it went through. I don't know if they did another hard pull or if they used the one from before, so I'll update here if they did a 2nd pull.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:19 pm

I'm not sure it matter which one you apply for. With a daughter in Seattle, you may want to apply for both cards. Whatever you decide, please check back and give us an update.

Best wishes and good luck!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I currently have 3 open AS cards. All 3 have had credit lines lowered to $5K. 3 questions:

1. Should I close one before I try for another?

2. How many open AS cards have you had while still being approved for another?

3. How low can one lower a credit line on the Signature version?

Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by Superorb
Almost 3 weeks later and my card #2 now appears in my BOA account. The application status page is saying the decision was reached the same day I applied, so I have no idea why it took this long, but either way I'm glad it went through. I don't know if they did another hard pull or if they used the one from before, so I'll update here if they did a 2nd pull.
It has been my experience, in two other cases, that "pending" for a second card takes 1 - 2 weeks to show up online, and 2 weeks to receive card in mail. Patience pays off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.