Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by htang333
Cool. I'll probably apply for a biz version soon and then another personal in oct. Will post data points with credit background. Though, it may be unnecessary by then.
Well documented data points are always appreciated. If for no other reason than to show that nothing has changed yet.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:50 am
Suspended

I applied for this and the Virgin card on the same day. Got denied for the Alaska but they said they'd do the Virgin and approve a $15k limit. Said they don't do 2 apps at the same time any more but you could call back any time within the 30 days to try again.

Then they called me 45 minutes later and said the underwriters didn't want to extend me any more than the $50k limit they've already extended me on my other cards, so if I wanted the card, I'd have to move limit. I didn't want to do that so I told them no thanks.

I'm going to try again in 2 weeks and see if they'll reconsider.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by mediator
I still have not received the 20,000 miles for the signature card. Looks like even if you upgraded the plat to sig through recon, you will only receive 5,000 miles.
Originally Posted by TrAAveller
In my experience (3 times), this conversion process takes anywhere from 2-6 months and has required calling to keep track of the process. Usually after your online account shows the conversion, it takes time for the card to arrive and then for the first statement to cycle. But every time, I've gotten the additional 20,000 posted. It's a painful process unfortunately. I have no idea why this must be so slow.
Another data point on the Plat -> Sig conversion process. My Platinum just got converted to Signature. I had been calling every couple weeks to monitor the progress so I can also share some info about the timeline. The rep who initiated the conversion said that she would request the 20K. But when I got confirmation today, they said I would get the companion pass, but not the 20K. She also encouraged me to apply to another card to get the 25K!

Here's what the timeline is like:
First you get approved for an increased credit limit of at least 5K. As soon as this happens, you can request the product change for the Visa Signature. At this point they send you a letter explaining the fee increase, and a chance to decline the product change. They then need to wait 6-8 weeks for you to not decline the product change. The actual date for me coincided with my first statement date that was >6 weeks after the request. At this point it takes about another week for them to actually do the product change.

I am still waiting on them to report the product change to Alaska and get my companion pass, as well as get the new card. (And potentially another 20K points in my account.)

Brugge, TrAAveller - any sense on how long this takes, and if more intervention is needed to get the 20K to post?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
Then they called me 45 minutes later and said the underwriters didn't want to extend me any more than the $50k limit they've already extended me on my other cards, so if I wanted the card, I'd have to move limit. I didn't want to do that so I told them no thanks.

I'm going to try again in 2 weeks and see if they'll reconsider.
Huh? Just how many times do you want to be denied? You can't afford to move $5k of CL (what's necessary to open a Visa Signature card, which is what's necessary for AS 25k bonus) from another BofA card? I don't see why they'll change their minds about that in 2 weeks, will you?

IMHO you're setting yourself up for that dreaded experience of being approved but only for the Plat with only a 5k bonus. Most people want to avoid that, but the only way to avoid that is to have plenty enough of "spare" CL at BofA at the moment you apply. And the next you apply, you may get auto-approved for a Plat with no change to negotiate an upgrade to Signature, which you did have this time (accepting $5k or more CL move should have sealed it as a Signature approval).

And see the post above this one for a new round of woes regarding Plat->Sig conversion requested after approval.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Huh? Just how many times do you want to be denied? You can't afford to move $5k of CL (what's necessary to open a Visa Signature card, which is what's necessary for AS 25k bonus) from another BofA card? I don't see why they'll change their minds about that in 2 weeks, will you?

IMHO you're setting yourself up for that dreaded experience of being approved but only for the Plat with only a 5k bonus. Most people want to avoid that, but the only way to avoid that is to have plenty enough of "spare" CL at BofA at the moment you apply. And the next you apply, you may get auto-approved for a Plat with no change to negotiate an upgrade to Signature, which you did have this time (accepting $5k or more CL move should have sealed it as a Signature approval).

And see the post above this one for a new round of woes regarding Plat->Sig conversion requested after approval.
Its entirely possible they might decide to extend me more credit in a month. I don't have to reapply and the pull is good for 30 days. Now whether I can get them to approve both cards is probably a long shot. If I get a card it will be the Virgin before the Alaska.

[xxxxxx]

Last edited by philemer; Aug 15, 2015 at 10:19 pm Reason: removed personal attack-please review FT Rules
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
Its entirely possible they might decide to extend me more credit in a month.
But not very likely.

Your posts suggest an allergy to sound advice.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aza72
Another data point on the Plat -> Sig conversion process. My Platinum just got converted to Signature. I had been calling every couple weeks to monitor the progress so I can also share some info about the timeline. The rep who initiated the conversion said that she would request the 20K. But when I got confirmation today, they said I would get the companion pass, but not the 20K. She also encouraged me to apply to another card to get the 25K!

Here's what the timeline is like:
First you get approved for an increased credit limit of at least 5K. As soon as this happens, you can request the product change for the Visa Signature. At this point they send you a letter explaining the fee increase, and a chance to decline the product change. They then need to wait 6-8 weeks for you to not decline the product change. The actual date for me coincided with my first statement date that was >6 weeks after the request. At this point it takes about another week for them to actually do the product change.

I am still waiting on them to report the product change to Alaska and get my companion pass, as well as get the new card. (And potentially another 20K points in my account.)

Brugge, TrAAveller - any sense on how long this takes, and if more intervention is needed to get the 20K to post?
If they made a new app from their side, it goes as you posted, and takes anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks to complete. BUT if what they did was upgrade your original app from a Plat to a Sig, you might very well get the companion pass, but you would not get the 25K miles.

A CSR cannot initiate the new app for a Sig, all they can do is ask the Customer Service Department to do that, and although the CSD has always agreed to do that for me, it's not automatic. If the CSR simply raised the CL to 5K, and upgraded the original card to a Sig, that doesn't qualify for the 25K.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dayone
But not very likely.

Your posts suggest an allergy to sound advice.
Maybe not. But it's worth a shot. They already pulled me so what the hell do I have to lose?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
If they made a new app from their side, it goes as you posted, and takes anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks to complete. BUT if what they did was upgrade your original app from a Plat to a Sig, you might very well get the companion pass, but you would not get the 25K miles.

A CSR cannot initiate the new app for a Sig, all they can do is ask the Customer Service Department to do that, and although the CSD has always agreed to do that for me, it's not automatic. If the CSR simply raised the CL to 5K, and upgraded the original card to a Sig, that doesn't qualify for the 25K.
It sounds like they did the new app process for me. When I first called in I was transferred to the credit department for the CLI, then back to a CSR who said she put in an a note to have the 20K added when the Signature is approved but 'it is up to customer service, and may or may not go through.' I guess I'll wait until the upgrade goes through to Alaska to see if I get the miles with the companion pass.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by htang333
Given BoA is more strict now on this card. Seeing some people deciding to stop churning this card.

Anyone still thinks it's okay to churn, say every 90 days ?

The changes with BOA started only recently around June due to app abuse so everything is still a mystery as to what will finally emerge with them. Only thing for certain is a clamp down has occurred so I would tread lightly with them and stay beneath their radar and not get flagged in any way. Given this current environment 90 days in my view is risky. As others have pointed out, perhaps 6 months at a minimum is a better option. As always, it's always YMMV
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: AA
I just applied for my second BoA Alaska personal card and got approved with a $17k credit limit. I'm not sure if this is a Sig or Plat, I'm hoping it's the former. First Alaska card was from October 2014. The wife applied as well and was approved instantly too.

My Alaska biz card went into pending however, applied as sole proprietor with minimal income.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by gameover98
I just applied for my second BoA Alaska personal card and got approved with a $17k credit limit. I'm not sure if this is a Sig or Plat, I'm hoping it's the former. First Alaska card was from October 2014. The wife applied as well and was approved instantly too.

My Alaska biz card went into pending however, applied as sole proprietor with minimal income.
Over 5K CL is Sig. You can check on it in your BoA online account as well.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:40 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by sharka
The changes with BOA started only recently around June due to app abuse so everything is still a mystery as to what will finally emerge with them. Only thing for certain is a clamp down has occurred so I would tread lightly with them and stay beneath their radar and not get flagged in any way. Given this current environment 90 days in my view is risky. As others have pointed out, perhaps 6 months at a minimum is a better option. As always, it's always YMMV
Thanks for the feedback.

I will likely apply for a biz next month. (approved for 1st personal ever few weeks ago). I will wait 6 months or longer before applying for 2nd personal. Hopefully, more data points will be available during that period.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:29 am
Suspended

I applied and got the "We’re sorry but we’re unable to give you a decision at this time."
I always seem to get this. Not sure what's the problem.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I applied and got the "We’re sorry but we’re unable to give you a decision at this time."
I always seem to get this. Not sure what's the problem.
Called in today to inquire about the status of my app. Was approved on the spot for a cl of $10K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.