Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:00 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.


A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)


To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949


Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)


Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 11, 16, 11:05 am
  #3961  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: LAX, LGB, SNA
Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Posts: 3,184
Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky View Post
Wow that's scary!!! Not too many inquiries, but rather too many new accounts opened which shows on all reports. That's very similar to Chase and their 5/24.
When I've open north of 15 new accounts in the last 6 months, that makes sense for denial. Also 3 of them were BoA AS. Only counting personal too.
hiima is offline  
Old Oct 11, 16, 11:08 am
  #3962  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Posts: 513
OK so Preacher7 says too many recent inquiries, and hiima says too many new accounts.

Preacher7, please confirm too many recent inquiries, too many new accounts, or going off memory so it may have been too many new accounts even though you originally said inquiries. What does your rejection letter state?

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Oct 11, 16 at 11:15 am
Ed Janowsky is offline  
Old Oct 11, 16, 11:13 am
  #3963  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Posts: 513
Originally Posted by hiima View Post
When I've open north of 15 new accounts in the last 6 months, that makes sense for denial. Also 3 of them were BoA AS. Only counting personal too.
I totally agree. It's just not something they were previously considering, or many more of us would have certainly been denied this year.
Ed Janowsky is offline  
Old Oct 11, 16, 11:35 am
  #3964  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,167
Originally Posted by muji View Post
No need to make further purchases.
It took about a month for my $100 credit to post.
Alright, I'll sit tight. Thanks.
Superorb is offline  
Old Oct 11, 16, 1:17 pm
  #3965  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC suburbs
Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (HT BD), Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Delta, BA, Alaska
Posts: 1,016
FWIW, another recent data-point:

6 BOA Alaska cards in past 18 months, occasionally 2 at the same time, usually closed after 3-8 months, several times approved for Platinum then multiple calls and the 2-3 months signature conversion, most recent account (still) open since March, most recent closed account from January through July. Total applications and new accounts approximately 30/24. For me BOA pulls from Experian where I have many pulls, a reconsideration representative told me 24 or 26 when I asked a few months ago, currently with 4 pulls on Transunion and 2 on Equifax.

Applied 2-3 weeks ago, website stated unable to give decision and under review and will send letter, called recon an hour or 2 later, was told declined due to already having an open account, call ended with decline. Called recon same number again an hour or 2 or day later, long conversation, approved signature 5K, needs review, he will call me again in 24-48 business hours, voicemail 2 business days later, call returned, approved signature 5K BUT it would require closing the existing account. (I do not recall any comments from any of the 3 or 4 credit analysts about number of inquiries or number of new accounts.)

I haven’t read of similar experiences so it caught me a little by surprise. I was planning to close the already open account shortly after opening the new account so in that regard it worked out okay. But I agree, this may well be indicative of a paradigm change for BOA credit card applications.

(Clarification: All of my BOA Alaska accounts have been and are personal accounts)

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Oct 12, 16 at 12:21 pm Reason: clarification
Dr Jabadski is offline  
Old Oct 11, 16, 9:36 pm
  #3966  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Programs: 24 million points to burn!
Posts: 1,511
Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky View Post
OK so Preacher7 says too many recent inquiries, and hiima says too many new accounts.

Preacher7, please confirm too many recent inquiries, too many new accounts, or going off memory so it may have been too many new accounts even though you originally said inquiries. What does your rejection letter state?
CSR specifically told me too many recent inquiries. Didn't mention accounts at all.
Preacher7 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 16, 9:42 pm
  #3967  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Programs: 24 million points to burn!
Posts: 1,511
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski View Post
FWIW, another recent data-point:

6 BOA Alaska cards in past 18 months, occasionally 2 at the same time, usually closed after 3-8 months, several times approved for Platinum then multiple calls and the 2-3 months signature conversion, most recent account (still) open since March, most recent closed account from January through July. Total applications and new accounts approximately 30/24. For me BOA pulls from Experian where I have many pulls, a reconsideration representative told me 24 or 26 when I asked a few months ago, currently with 4 pulls on Transunion and 2 on Equifax.

Applied 2-3 weeks ago, website stated unable to give decision and under review and will send letter, called recon an hour or 2 later, was told declined due to already having an open account, call ended with decline. Called recon same number again an hour or 2 or day later, long conversation, approved signature 5K, needs review, he will call me again in 24-48 business hours, voicemail 2 business days later, call returned, approved signature 5K BUT it would require closing the existing account. (I do not recall any comments from any of the 3 or 4 credit analysts about number of inquiries or number of new accounts.)

I havenít read of similar experiences so it caught me a little by surprise. I was planning to close the already open account shortly after opening the new account so in that regard it worked out okay. But I agree, this may well be indicative of a paradigm change for BOA credit card applications.
Interesting. As many of you probably know, this data point is consistent with the new rule this year with AS MBNA card in Canada: only one open card at a time.

So is it really AS telling their partner banks to tighten the screws? Are people having trouble churning other B of A cards? B/c at this point, other MBNA Canada cards are still churnable; only the AS card is effected.
Preacher7 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 16, 2:13 am
  #3968  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 372
Currently have 1 Personal and 1 Biz. Application was over 90 days ago, first part of July. Lowered credit line about 2 weeks ago. What do you all think? Safe to go for a second personal? I have a mortgage and checking account with them for about the past 8 years now. Also, does the 90 days start from the application date, approval date or the date the email was sent saying the card is on the way? Thanks!
ManFactSpendLA is offline  
Old Oct 12, 16, 8:06 am
  #3969  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by Preacher7 View Post
Interesting. As many of you probably know, this data point is consistent with the new rule this year with AS MBNA card in Canada: only one open card at a time.

So is it really AS telling their partner banks to tighten the screws? Are people having trouble churning other B of A cards? B/c at this point, other MBNA Canada cards are still churnable; only the AS card is effected.
I applied for a Alaska cc two weeks ago and I was approved even though I have another Alaska card open.
walterj is offline  
Old Oct 12, 16, 8:16 am
  #3970  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LAX
Posts: 2,814
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA View Post
Currently have 1 Personal and 1 Biz. Application was over 90 days ago, first part of July. Lowered credit line about 2 weeks ago. What do you all think? Safe to go for a second personal? I have a mortgage and checking account with them for about the past 8 years now. Also, does the 90 days start from the application date, approval date or the date the email was sent saying the card is on the way? Thanks!
Data Point.
B of A customer with mortgage and checking account as well
Alaska personal approved May 2016
Alaska personal approved August 2016
Alaska Business approved this morning, instant approval

5 experian pulls within last 6 months including today's
metoo is offline  
Old Oct 12, 16, 12:40 pm
  #3971  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 372
Thanks! Pulled trigger and says pending. Makes me nervous. I'll report back. Any advice?

Originally Posted by metoo View Post
Data Point.
B of A customer with mortgage and checking account as well
Alaska personal approved May 2016
Alaska personal approved August 2016
Alaska Business approved this morning, instant approval

5 experian pulls within last 6 months including today's
ManFactSpendLA is offline  
Old Oct 13, 16, 2:44 pm
  #3972  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
AS Visa Signature denied - "already have account"

Wife and I each applied for personal AS card on Oct. 2 or 3 online and got "decision pending", with same being reported for multiple days by the BOFA web site for checking status. When identical letters came in mail, I was shocked to see they were "unable to approve the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card you requested because you already have an account endorsed by this organization."

Does this mean churning this card now requires closing existing account(s)? I have one open AS personal card, opened "way back" in December. Wife has 3 open AS cards, with most recent approval around 6/20/16, for which BOFA simply reallocated $20k CL from other card that had $60k CL. We did not lower CLs before applying last week.

Second paragraph of rejection letter: "Our decision included a review of one or more of the following: your account history, your total relationship with us, current economic trends and a copy of your credit report or reports."

We've had BOFA checking account for 10-15 years (balance around $10k), opened 5 personal AS cards each over the past 3 years without much extra spending beyond minimum required spend ($100 to get $100 statement credit for most), make $160k, have each acquired 18-20 new cards total in past 2 years, and have 800+ credit scores with each bureau.

Haven't tried calling recon line yet but might.
gsrau is offline  
Old Oct 13, 16, 5:59 pm
  #3973  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 565
>> opened 5 personal AS cards each over the past 3 years without much extra spending beyond minimum required spend

Somehow, this all makes sense on why they would put additional limits in place now.

Anyone tried closing all existing AS cards, then applying for a single card?
Lumpylump76 is offline  
Old Oct 14, 16, 6:36 am
  #3974  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 319
Anyone know how long it takes for the miles to post after statement close? I don't mean the sign-up bonus, I'm talking about the miles earned through normal spend.
jjangoo is offline  
Old Oct 14, 16, 8:53 am
  #3975  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 565
Originally Posted by jjangoo View Post
Anyone know how long it takes for the miles to post after statement close? I don't mean the sign-up bonus, I'm talking about the miles earned through normal spend.
2-3 days after statement close
Lumpylump76 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: