Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Peter_Ng
Of course, you were right, they still gave me a Platinum card. Now let's hope that the guy actually did petition for me to upgrade to a Visa Signature card and I will get the rest of the bonus miles in about 2 months. Is there any thing I need to do beside keep an eye on the account? Thanks
I've gone this route twice now, though not recently. Both times I was still sent a Plat card. I guess they were hoping I'd use it while waiting for the Sig to be issued, but I just cut it up and waited. They say 6 weeks, but that's just how long the paperwork takes. Then you have to wait another 2 weeks for the new card to be sent out. You should get some sort of communication from Customer Service in the next few days that they have approved the petition. If not, I'd call again and make sure it did in fact get done and then was approved. After that, all you have to do is wait, and wait, and wait.....
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by osugrad2x
Just got denied of the 30K due to too many recent inquires. Recon rep didnt specify how many were too many and said it was always their policy.
How many inquiries do you have?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peter_Ng
Of course, you were right, they still gave me a Platinum card. Now let's hope that the guy actually did petition for me to upgrade to a Visa Signature card and I will get the rest of the bonus miles in about 2 months. Is there any thing I need to do beside keep an eye on the account? Thanks
Since you used a link that requires minimum spend, you could presumably start on that spend with the Plat card if you wish. That certainly worked in the 25k + $100 credit days. I'm certain it work for the $1000 spend for the $100 credit, what I'm not certain of is whether the minimum spend for the Signature miles can be done while you only have the Platinum. That might something only BofA can answer?

You will not have a lot of time for the spend if you wait to get the Sig card before you start the spend, unless they restart the clock at that point, which I haven't heard, but then we haven't had minimum spend for the miles before now so I wouldn't expect to have heard yet.

Also, you cannot get upgraded to Sig without your agreement to a lot of T&Cs about that upgrade (including the increase of annual fee from $50 to $75). If you haven't sat through the agent reading those off and then you saying you agree at the end, I doubt you were upgraded to Sig yet. So don't sit back and wait for it, call BofA.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:44 am

I was approved for the plat with CL of $2000, then spoke to the agent to upgrade to Signature with higher CL of $5000. They did another HP (same day) and I was read the T&C. The agent also said I will not get the higher bonus since its an upgrade. Do I have any chance? What's my best bet? To wait for the Signature card, do the spend and then keep calling?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:08 am

Applied with direct link for 30k+100, was approved only with 2k limit. This is my first BOFA card ever. Called recon about increasing CL and I was told that initially pulled from EX, and I could apply for a CL increase, independently, and they'd do another pull from TU. I said no thanks, especially in light of the previous post, that the CL increase wouldn't result in the higher sign-up bonus.

ETA: never mind, false alarm!
I called BOFA again and they confirmed I had the sign up offer.

Last edited by Welder; Jun 6, 2016 at 1:34 pm Reason: Update
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
How many inquiries do you have?
14 Inquiries but last opening was over 30 days ago. Maybe i do need to take a step back for awhile.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Since you used a link that requires minimum spend, you could presumably start on that spend with the Plat card if you wish. That certainly worked in the 25k + $100 credit days. I'm certain it work for the $1000 spend for the $100 credit, what I'm not certain of is whether the minimum spend for the Signature miles can be done while you only have the Platinum. That might something only BofA can answer?

You will not have a lot of time for the spend if you wait to get the Sig card before you start the spend, unless they restart the clock at that point, which I haven't heard, but then we haven't had minimum spend for the miles before now so I wouldn't expect to have heard yet.

Also, you cannot get upgraded to Sig without your agreement to a lot of T&Cs about that upgrade (including the increase of annual fee from $50 to $75). If you haven't sat through the agent reading those off and then you saying you agree at the end, I doubt you were upgraded to Sig yet. So don't sit back and wait for it, call BofA.
Called back and another agent confirmed the upgrade was there and i somehow already agreed to all the disclosures, just have to wait for my new Visa Signature card in 4-6 weeks. She also stressed that only the spend that I do after activating the upgraded card would count for bonus. Not sure if she is right but that s what i will do.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by bobby21
I was approved for the plat with CL of $2000, then spoke to the agent to upgrade to Signature with higher CL of $5000. They did another HP (same day) and I was read the T&C. The agent also said I will not get the higher bonus since its an upgrade. Do I have any chance? What's my best bet? To wait for the Signature card, do the spend and then keep calling?
That CSR is confused. There are two things they can do, one of which is to raise your CL to at least $5K, but you will still only get a Plat, just one with a larger CL. The other is to initiate a new app for a Sig card, done from their side, which is a different app from the one you did. They then, as discussed above, have to read you T/Cs for the new app, petition Customer Service for the new app, let you know that has been approved, mail you a letter asking if you are sure you are willing to pay the $75 AF, instead of the $50 AF you previously agreed to pay, wait 6 weeks to make sure you aren't going to change your mind then take another 2 weeks to send you the Sig card.

Time to HUCA and find out what the first CSR did. Either you are going to get a Sig card with full bonus, or you aren't. They can't have it both ways.

Last edited by RobertHanson; Jun 7, 2016 at 9:41 am
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
They then, as discussed above, have to read you T/Cs for the new app, petition Customer Service for the new app, let you know that has been approved, mail you a letter asking if you are sure you are willing to pay the $75 AF, instead of the $50 AF you previously agreed to pay, wait 6 weeks to make sure you aren't going to change your mind then take another 2 weeks to send you the Plat card.
I think after all that, after another two weeks they will send a Sig card, not yet another Plat card . It wouldn't be worth it if it just got you another Plat card.

In other words, typo alert...
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:29 pm

As of today has anyone (who applied and was approved for a 25,000 miles just days before the newest offer) been successful in receiving a match to 30,000?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:30 am

14 Inquiries but last opening was over 30 days ago. Maybe i do need to take a step back for awhile.
Update: Called recon twice and spoke to supervisor and was told i had too many inquiries in past 12 months and they would not move credit from another card or close one. They didnt care about number of accounts or length open just the inquiries. Also he mentioned Experian report, maybe i should lock that one since all my inquiries are on that. He even commented on how great my credit history was but they were not allowed to open another account based on too many inquiries.

Any word of a possible 12/12 happening due to Chase 5/24

Has anyone been approved with more than 12 inquiries over the past year?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I think after all that, after another two weeks they will send a Sig card, not yet another Plat card . It wouldn't be worth it if it just got you another Plat card.

In other words, typo alert...
Typo edited....
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:14 pm

Approved for $3,900 CL, called and got the option to upgrade with another credit inquiry. Wasn't expecting an under $5k approval. I had reduced CL on my existing Alaska card to $5k; I have another old cash rewards card - should I ask for credit to be moved from that? Or should I try the second application today? Or just give up

Edit - just checked, I only have a $1100 limit on that cash rewards card. So only $6100 of total credit limit from BofA, 800 credit score and they won't approve for over $5k. I feel like applying again might just result in another pull and <$5k card, which I don't want. Any ideas?

Edit 2 - I had a $17k CL reduced to $5k and now they only approve for $3900? Does that make sense?

Last edited by ucdtim17; Jun 7, 2016 at 3:36 pm
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Approved for $3,900 CL, called and got the option to upgrade with another credit inquiry. Wasn't expecting an under $5k approval. I had reduced CL on my existing Alaska card to $5k; I have another old cash rewards card - should I ask for credit to be moved from that? Or should I try the second application today? Or just give up

Edit - just checked, I only have a $1100 limit on that cash rewards card. So only $6100 of total credit limit from BofA, 800 credit score and they won't approve for over $5k. Any ideas?
Was the first app today? If so, getting another HP today doesn't matter, as they will combine and only show one app having been done. If you do it the day after the first app, then it will show up as two.

Easiest option is probably to reapply right away, hope it goes to pending, or temporary denial, based on the first app. Then call Recon and they will probably approve the second app for a Sig, and you can cancel the just approved Plat.

There is also a process to have B/A replace the first app with a Sig, but it takes 2 months to complete is a total PITA.

Having gotten a mere Plat means absolutely nothing about your credit rating, or even what B/A thinks of your credit rating. Twice in the past I was instantly approved for a Plat, reapplied right away, and Recon had no problem at all approving the second app for a Sig with a significant CL. B/A is just weird that way.

If the first CSR you get doesn't seem to want to work with you, just politely say goodbye, hang up and wait a minute or so for that CSR to move on to the next client, then call back and get someone more responsive. Don't even begin to think it's a lost cause until you've been turned down 4 times, which I sincerely doubt will happen.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: Called recon twice and spoke to supervisor and was told i had too many inquiries in past 12 months and they would not move credit from another card or close one. They didnt care about number of accounts or length open just the inquiries. Also he mentioned Experian report, maybe i should lock that one since all my inquiries are on that. He even commented on how great my credit history was but they were not allowed to open another account based on too many inquiries.

Any word of a possible 12/12 happening due to Chase 5/24

Has anyone been approved with more than 12 inquiries over the past year?
That wouldn't be due to a Chase 5/24, that would be like Citi for the past decade or longer!

In other words, Citi has long had a limit of about 6 inquiries in the past 6 months. Some people are allowed 7, maybe 8, but other people only 6.

If you do the math, 6 in 6 months is the same "rate" as 12 in 12 months, so I don't see why it would be considered something radically new and only possible to be inspired by Chase's 5/24.

Lots of banks have limits on inquiries, it's just that the actual limits are not as well documented at other banks as at Citi, perhaps because Citi only goes back 6 months and because in the past Citi had several cards you could churn even more quickly than BofA AS can be churned now, and that alone could get you to about 6 inquiries in 6 months if you did those at that max rate (8/65).

Because I've been applying for Citi cards forever, I've tried to stay within 6 in 6 forever, and thus I'm naturally under 12 in 12 too. (That still doesn't get me anywhere near 5/24, unfortunately.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.