Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:19 am

How would you define a lot sooner?

I had to lower cl on others bo cards in order to get them to approve me with 5k CL and that happened overnight.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
More important than cancelling at this point is reducing your credit limit, especially if you've mostly stopped using the card, ASAP. Right now that matters, but cancelling doesn't.

At present, there is no need to cancel, and we don't know if with the new offer it'll be better to cancel or not cancel (at Citi, for example, cancelling is much worse than holding on to the card, while at Chase it's the exact opposite).

Even if you're going to cancel soon, first you want to lower the credit limit and then wait a bit. Credit limit that's lowered on an existing card is available for new applications a lot sooner than credit limit from a cancelled card.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaiotes
How would you define a lot sooner?
I wouldn't. We don't have enough data points to put a hard definition on it. Plus we don't know if it's constant; for example, it could be done via a periodically-scheduled "sweep" rather than a fixed amount of days after you close the card.

The best strategy is simply to lower the CL on each card as soon as you can, rather than trying to time it backwards from the next planned application.

Here's my thinking: If you plan to spend not much more than $1k a month (all the required spend for the $100 credit in one month plus annual fee right now), you can certainly get by with $3600 of CL, so if they gave you much more than that, you can lower it immediately after you get the card. If you plane to spend not much more than $2k a month (all the required spend for the 30k bonus in one month after June 1), you can certainly get by with $7k of CL. (This based on no impact to credit score as long as you keep the utilization on each card below 30% of that card's CL. 30% of $3600 is $1080; $30% of $7k is $2100.)

And this general strategy works for most (if not all) banks. Trying to time it exactly, though, is specific to each bank (and that's why it's much harder to figure out, since the banks don't publish the data).

Meanwhile, as I reported upthread a few weeks ago, sometimes BofA makes mistakes and accidentally issues you way less credit limit that they should have. So that means you can't use just one anecdote to figure out how the timing works. (Plus, as I just mentioned above, some banks do various things via periodically-timed "sweeps", and an in that case, one anecdote or even two or even three don't necessarily establish true timing.)
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:11 am

How many CCs they would issue you (if one applies every 90 days or so) before they deny due to "too many of the same CCs opened" ?
In other words - how many it's safe to keep open, and at what number you should start closing them (to be able to apply again)?
I realize there might not be some magic number, but wonder if there is any datapoint someone can comment on?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:18 pm

Anyone have a recent data point on whether you can still apply for either 2 persona; or 1 personal, 1 business Alaska card at the same time through two browser. I have never had a bank of america credit card.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by in4tar
How many CCs they would issue you (if one applies every 90 days or so) before they deny due to "too many of the same CCs opened" ?
In other words - how many it's safe to keep open, and at what number you should start closing them (to be able to apply again)?
I realize there might not be some magic number, but wonder if there is any datapoint someone can comment on?
The consensus is to not have more than 3 personal cards open at any time (for those who are only churning personal AS cards). Ie, close one if you have more than two open and are planning to apply for a third.

Having said that, we don't know if that's going change June 1 along with the way the bonus is earned changing. The fact that changes are coming around June 1 has been announced, but every detail of those changes has not been announced.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:57 am

The consensus is to not have more than 3 personal cards open at any time (for those who are only churning personal AS cards). Ie, close one if you have more than two open and are planning to apply for a third.
Are there solid data points on having 2 personal cards open not having any effect on being approved for a third personal?

I understand there are solid data points on not having 3 open, just not sure if there are solid data points on having 2 open having zero negative consequences.

I'll have a 2 week window in late May where it will be more than 90 days since my last AS app. And with the T/Cs of the new June app being a complete unknown, I want to make sure I get another card issue before then.

Last edited by RobertHanson; Apr 25, 2016 at 9:13 am
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
Alaska Biz - 30k, too?

Anybody know if the May 1st increase to 30k signup bonus will apply to the Business Card as well?

Anybody have a history of getting a "bonus points match" from BoA?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:35 pm

More important than cancelling at this point is reducing your credit limit, especially if you've mostly stopped using the card, ASAP. Right now that matters, but cancelling doesn't.

At present, there is no need to cancel, and we don't know if with the new offer it'll be better to cancel or not cancel (at Citi, for example, cancelling is much worse than holding on to the card, while at Chase it's the exact opposite).

Even if you're going to cancel soon, first you want to lower the credit limit and then wait a bit. Credit limit that's lowered on an existing card is available for new applications a lot sooner than credit limit from a cancelled card.
Yeah I just found out about the cancellation rule with Citi.

I lowered my CL on both personal ($17k to $7k) and business ($10k to $7k) cards a couple weeks ago.

I guess I won't cancel any of the cards just yet but I will apply for another personal before the 30k version.

I know there are no definite answers but you think it'll be safe to apply in like a month (end of May) without canceling any cards?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Are there solid data points on having 2 personal cards open not having any effect on being approved for a third personal?

I understand there are solid data points on not having 3 open, just not sure if there are solid data points on having 2 open having zero negative consequences.
I don't think people would keep mentioning 3 as a limit if there were negative consequences noticed from having 2 open.

Aside from any issues having to do with excess CL (that you didn't reduce), I don't know of any to date of having 2 open when applying for a third.

I've certainly done it several times myself, and could not "detect" any negative consequences. (The only time I've had a problem was a month or so ago when BofA made a mistake which they admitted the next business day, and issued my way less CL on a new card than they should have. But even that seemed unrelated to how many open cards I had, it was just some sort of CL computation mistake.)
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by rjs11
Did you take a screenshot of the offer you applied for? I can't see how calling Alaska would help. You'll need to contact BOA to get the sign-up promotion corrected (assuming you applied using the correct link...).
Same thing happened to me and I'm on chat... Wish me luck.

They told me they didn't see the promotion and would "investigate this" and follow back up in a few days. Anyone have any luck with this? What a bummer.

Last edited by jayoxd; Apr 26, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:49 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by jayoxd
Same thing happened to me and I'm on chat... Wish me luck.

They told me they didn't see the promotion and would "investigate this" and follow back up in a few days. Anyone have any luck with this? What a bummer.
If this is about the 100 bonus, you are wasting your time.
same thing happened to me, I called them several times. Talked to BofA, HUCB, even transferred to AK MP many times. I had 2 cards, neither one could confirm the 100 bonus, on one I spent the 1K, and got the bonus the other I didn't and didnt get the bonus. Same thing happened to a friend of mine, he spend the 1K even thought they couldn't see the 100 bonus. And with 2 cards, got both 100 each.
rest assured, go ahead spend the 1K and you will get the bonus.

The highest levels are "One Call" center but they are not allowed to talk to customers and you cannot talk to them directly. However, even in this case they cannot help.

Last edited by frank_10b; Apr 26, 2016 at 2:07 pm
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by frank_10b
If this is about the 100 bonus, you are wasting your time.
same thing happened to me, I called them several times. Talked to BofA, HUCB, even transferred to AK MP many times. I had 2 cards, neither one could confirm the 100 bonus, on one I spent the 1K, and got the bonus the other I didn't and didnt get the bonus. Same thing happened to a friend of mine, he spend the 1K even thought they couldn't see the 100 bonus. And with 2 cards, got both 100 each.
rest assured, go ahead spend the 1K and you will get the bonus.

The highest levels are "One Call" center but they are not allowed to talk to customers and you cannot talk to them directly. However, even in this case they cannot help.
Appreciate the input, I'll just wait and see.

Thank you!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:21 am

I have 4 AS personal cards
application dates:
20apr15
13aug15
15jan16
14apr16

I don't remember the credit limits that were initially allotted, but i SMd to lower to 2-3K on each card. 14apr16 application was closed as a dup because it was within the 90 day period of the 15jan16 app, but i called and was approved for 18K.

Last edited by pokeygirl; Apr 27, 2016 at 12:11 pm Reason: yes, i meant AS not AA....
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by pokeygirl
I have 4 AA personal cards
I'm assuming you mean AS (Alaska) cards, not AA (American) cards.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I'm assuming you mean AS (Alaska) cards, not AA (American) cards.
yes, fixed that in my original post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.