Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
There is a lengthy and painstaking way to get your Plat card replaced with a Sig card, and get the full 25K bonus. Not "upgraded", once a card is issued, it can't be upgraded, they have to open a new app for you from their side. If you look back thru the thread, I've given the full details on this. Be aware it will take at least 2 months to get the new card, and will involve another HP. So maybe just reapply, hope that due to the recent app it will go to pending, and Recon may very well approve you for a Sig. Then cancel the recent inferior card, it's not worth the AF.

The way to get a Sig card, if you are instantly approved for a lessor card, is to just reapply the same day. Most likely that app will go to pending, or be denied as a mistaken "duplicate app". Then you can call Recon, and get them to reopen the app, give you a Sig for your second app, and cancel the first one. All apps on the same day get combined, so your second, or third if necessary, will only register as one HP with the CB.

Don't keep the lessor cards open, as lately AS is closing the accounts of people who get multiple AS cards the same day. Make sure they are canceled as soon as the Sig card is approved.

Also make sure you apply during weekday business hours, as B/A Recon is closed evenings and weekends, and if you have to call them a day later, you will end up with another HP.
Isn't the additional HP related to if the application goes to denial? As long as any are (still) in pending when you call, there won't be a HP, correct?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:51 am

Have we figured out a pattern of when the $100 posts? I signed up for 4 cards in early May and hit $1000 spend on 3 of them-- 6/12, 6/18, 6/24. I've received $100 credit on the 6/12 and 6/18 ones on 6/24 but not the 6/24 one. I see the credit doesn't come a certain number of days after meeting spend requirement. Does it come on set times of the month, since I was credited for the 6/12 and 6/18 one together? Statement date for all cards is 7/7.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by Preacher7
So you're closing your AS cards within 90 days of opening? How long after closing them do you reapply for new ones?
yes, after 90 days open, I close it. I wait about 1 - 2 weeks after closing before re-opening, but have waited as long as 30 days before re-opening.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by teammjs
Isn't the additional HP related to if the application goes to denial? As long as any are (still) in pending when you call, there won't be a HP, correct?
Not clear on that, I think if your Recon call is a different day from the app, there may be a new HP. If you go to pending, but are then approved the same day, without needing a CLI, only one HP.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by calguy77
Thanks for the advise, as you previously posted when my app went to pending i called in to get approved for a Sig card but they told me that they couldn't do anything because I was in pending. I had to wait until a decision was made. Then when a decision was made they said they couldn't do anything else. I talked to 3 different reps at each point of the app process. Am I missing something? Thank you again,
I've read about this several times, but I've never experienced it. Why can't they open it at Recon? I thought that was what Recon is for. Makes no sense to me, but I've read it enough that it clearly does occasionally happen.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Can you lower a signature card to 2K?
Yes, you can lower a BofA AS signature card that you've had for a while to $2k.

You can not, however, open a BofA AS signature card with less than $5k.

This is BofA specific (and maybe even BofA AS card specific?). Some other banks will let you open a Visa Signature with less than $5k, but of BofA won't (at least not with AS cards).
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:53 am

I only did a personal 1BM today and it went to "under review" this time. I called recon immediately and they were able to approve the card at 16k for signature. All of my previous applications were instantly approved (2x 2BM), which is why this was a little weird for me.

I only did one because I'm a little scared of all of the account closings lately and I don't mind slowing down to stay in the race longer. I will probably go back to 2BM in 91 days.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:58 pm

I did a 2BM about two weeks ago.
The first was an instant plat. I immediately called and the agent agreed to "upgrade" my plat to a sig, and she said she would manually make a note of the 20000 miles bonus.
The second went pending, and last week it cleared as a plat again. I found it out when I checked my alaska account. Both 5000 miles are posted.
There is no reason for me to keep the second plat. But since the miles have been posted, is there a problem if I call to cancel the card? Will the cancellation put my alaska account in danger since I get the bonus without paying annual fee? I'd rather pay the $50 first year to keep my alaska account safe. Any advice? Thanks!

BTW, I read most of the posts here AFTER I did the application so I knew I hadn't taken the best action. I just want to know, what to do next.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by jiangning
The first was an instant plat. I immediately called and the agent agreed to "upgrade" my plat to a sig, and she said she would manually make a note of the 20000 miles bonus.
The second went pending, and last week it cleared as a plat again. I found it out when I checked my alaska account. Both 5000 miles are posted.
There is no reason for me to keep the second plat. But since the miles have been posted, is there a problem if I call to cancel the card? Will the cancellation put my alaska account in danger since I get the bonus without paying annual fee? I'd rather pay the $50 first year to keep my alaska account safe. Any advice? Thanks!

BTW, I read most of the posts here AFTER I did the application so I knew I hadn't taken the best action. I just want to know, what to do next.
If it were me, I'd pay the annual fee and keep it open a little while longer. People have reported that one of the fraud triggers has been people who take the signup bonus and don't pay the annual fee. I think this was on the signature card and not plat, but it doesn't seem worth messing with now. If you applied with the $100 credit in 3 months it doesn't have to be a complete loss.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by jiangning

I agree with the OP above me, don't take the miles and cancel. But of course they have put you in something of a bind, since they've already posted the miles. They should at least wait until you activate the card.

So if you used the offer with the $100 statement credit, take the cards and the miles, meet the spend, get the credit. Then cancel in a few months and try again. But if you didn't get the offer with the statement credit I don't know what to say. I wouldn't want to pay $75 for 5K miles.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:22 pm

Two of my recent applications were both approved as platinum...I called, and had one upgraded to Visa Signature because I want the checked bag fee waiver on Alaska Air. However, CSP told me I won't get the 20,000 extra miles, companion fare pass and $100 statement credit...
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:59 pm

thanks folks. I did have the $100 offer so I think I'll keep it for a few months. Although 5000 miles and $50 credits ($100 - $50 AF) isn't the sweetest deal, it's better than nothing, and certainly better than having my alaska account banned.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
I wouldn't want to pay $75 for 5K miles.
And you wouldn't have to. From the T&Cs:
Annual Fee
$75 for Visa Signature accounts,
$50 for Platinum Plus accounts, or
$35 for Classic accounts.
Now, of course, the question is whether you would even want to pay $50 for 5k miles?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And you wouldn't have to. From the T&Cs:
Annual Fee
$75 for Visa Signature accounts,
$50 for Platinum Plus accounts, or
$35 for Classic accounts.
Now, of course, the question is whether you would even want to pay $50 for 5k miles?
Given that one can buy 5k miles from Alaska for $137.50, you would be valuing a HP at $87.50 in this particular case. Pretty terrible.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Have we figured out a pattern of when the $100 posts? I signed up for 4 cards in early May and hit $1000 spend on 3 of them-- 6/12, 6/18, 6/24. I've received $100 credit on the 6/12 and 6/18 ones on 6/24 but not the 6/24 one. I see the credit doesn't come a certain number of days after meeting spend requirement. Does it come on set times of the month, since I was credited for the 6/12 and 6/18 one together? Statement date for all cards is 7/7.
Bump

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.