Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Dave, if you check the BoA application status online, what does it say? I also was approved for 4 cards last week, but they are all still "pending review" online, and I haven't gotten the bonus.
Thanks for the application status page link.

All 4 of my apps were approved according to that page.

Congratulations, your credit card application has been approved! You will receive your credit card within 7 to 10 days and the Welcome Package within 10 to 14 days at the address you provided.
Still no miles on my Alaska account. I remember when my wife applied for this card (just 1 app), a new AS account was created. Hopefully that doesn't happen here-- especially if 4 new AS accounts are created!
Old May 19, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I’m new to this Alaska Air card although I’m a fairly active churner. 30 year credit history, scores with all agencies well over 800. Applied 2 months ago, approved instantly but I didn’t realize the instant approval notification with a $3000 limit was for a Platinum Plus card ($50 annual fee). Noticed a 5000 new account bonus on my Alaska Air account and a Platinum Plus account in my BOA on-line information and that’s when the elevator finally got to the top floor. Called about 3 weeks after that first application, agent told me that I “should” have been approved for a Signature account and the account could not be switched at that time. She said I should apply again right now, while she was on the phone, there would not be another hard pull as the second application was within 30 days and she could take “ownership” of the application and ensure it was approved as a Signature account. Applied on line while she was on the phone, was instantly approved for a Signature account $20,000 limit, she could see it 30 seconds later. Platinum account closed the next day.

Flash forward about 3 weeks, it’s time for my every 66 day (17 Citi Hilton cards in the past few years) churn. Apply also for another Alaska Air Visa, no instant approval. Few days later looking at my BOA account info on-line and see (another) (new) Plat Visa account $3000 limit. Called immediately this time, agent initially cut me off saying he didn’t need all the background info, I was a bit leery and almost HUCAd, told him the reason for the call, put on hold for a few minutes, he came back telling me the account would be switched, asked me if I wanted another $20,000 limit. He asked what the differences were between Plat and Sig cards, I told him $100 credit and 25,000 miles, he said both would be credited. Told me I would receive the Plat card first and then 4-6 weeks later a Sig card with a new account number. He said, without prompting, that I should spend the $1000 ASAP on the Plat card so I would be sure to get the statement credit. When I asked about being charged the difference in the annual fees he said I would probably be charged the difference, rather than a $50 credit and a $75 charge but that I would likely just pay the $50 this year and then $75 on the first anniversary of the account opening. (I didn’t tell him the likelihood of the account still being open a year from now was about the same as the likelihood of United being the top rated airline a year from now.) When I asked why the automated system approved me for only the Plat card he said it was due to the existing account with a high credit limit.

Data point is that if instantly or quickly automatically approved for a Platinum account (as evidenced by lower credit limit or seeing the account on-line), calling IMMEDIATELY may result in account switching and (hopefully) the appropriate benefits being credited.

The questions are: should I apply for another Alaska Air Visa account in 8 days when I apply for another Citi Hilton card? Is lowering the credit limits on existing BOA accounts thought to increase the probability of approval for a Signature card on subsequent applications? What are the best practices for increasing the probability of approval for a Signature card?

Thanks.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
I’m new to this Alaska Air card although I’m a fairly active churner. 30 year credit history, scores with all agencies well over 800. Applied 2 months ago, approved instantly but I didn’t realize the instant approval notification with a $3000 limit was for a Platinum Plus card ($50 annual fee). Noticed a 5000 new account bonus on my Alaska Air account and a Platinum Plus account in my BOA on-line information and that’s when the elevator finally got to the top floor. Called about 3 weeks after that first application, agent told me that I “should” have been approved for a Signature account and the account could not be switched at that time. She said I should apply again right now, while she was on the phone, there would not be another hard pull as the second application was within 30 days and she could take “ownership” of the application and ensure it was approved as a Signature account. Applied on line while she was on the phone, was instantly approved for a Signature account $20,000 limit, she could see it 30 seconds later. Platinum account closed the next day.

Flash forward about 3 weeks, it’s time for my every 66 day (17 Citi Hilton cards in the past few years) churn. Apply also for another Alaska Air Visa, no instant approval. Few days later looking at my BOA account info on-line and see (another) (new) Plat Visa account $3000 limit. Called immediately this time, agent initially cut me off saying he didn’t need all the background info, I was a bit leery and almost HUCAd, told him the reason for the call, put on hold for a few minutes, he came back telling me the account would be switched, asked me if I wanted another $20,000 limit. He asked what the differences were between Plat and Sig cards, I told him $100 credit and 25,000 miles, he said both would be credited. Told me I would receive the Plat card first and then 4-6 weeks later a Sig card with a new account number. He said, without prompting, that I should spend the $1000 ASAP on the Plat card so I would be sure to get the statement credit. When I asked about being charged the difference in the annual fees he said I would probably be charged the difference, rather than a $50 credit and a $75 charge but that I would likely just pay the $50 this year and then $75 on the first anniversary of the account opening. (I didn’t tell him the likelihood of the account still being open a year from now was about the same as the likelihood of United being the top rated airline a year from now.) When I asked why the automated system approved me for only the Plat card he said it was due to the existing account with a high credit limit.

Data point is that if instantly or quickly automatically approved for a Platinum account (as evidenced by lower credit limit or seeing the account on-line), calling IMMEDIATELY may result in account switching and (hopefully) the appropriate benefits being credited.

The questions are: should I apply for another Alaska Air Visa account in 8 days when I apply for another Citi Hilton card? Is lowering the credit limits on existing BOA accounts thought to increase the probability of approval for a Signature card on subsequent applications? What are the best practices for increasing the probability of approval for a Signature card?

Thanks.
Your post is consistent with experiences by other FTers. What you should have done from the beginning was call IMMEDIATELY if you are unsure of what type of card you were approved for. If you catch it in time, you can be allowed to increase the limit to at least 5k and get the larger bonus offer without later intervention or waiting long periods of time.

You do not have to wait until day 8 to apply for another BoA account. You SHOULD apply for the second card along with the first day’s apps so that those hard pulls can merge. If you apply on “day 8” with the Citi apps, then you will have 2 hard pulls from 2 banks that day with a total of 3 hard pulls in a 8 day period.

Also, reducing large credit lines will allow you for at least an instant approval in the future, rather than being forced an approval at the lower level.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Is the 50k offer coming via email? Or are people seeing a banner on the website?
Old May 19, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by macrophage
Your post is consistent with experiences by other FTers. What you should have done from the beginning was call IMMEDIATELY if you are unsure of what type of card you were approved for. If you catch it in time, you can be allowed to increase the limit to at least 5k and get the larger bonus offer without later intervention or waiting long periods of time.

You do not have to wait until day 8 to apply for another BoA account. You SHOULD apply for the second card along with the first day’s apps so that those hard pulls can merge. If you apply on “day 8” with the Citi apps, then you will have 2 hard pulls from 2 banks that day with a total of 3 hard pulls in a 8 day period.

Also, reducing large credit lines will allow you for at least an instant approval in the future, rather than being forced an approval at the lower level.
Not my experience at all. I was instantly approved for a Plat, called about 10 minutes later, and while they could indeed up my CL to $5K, they could not change the Plat to a Sig. They had to do lots of paperwork to do an app from their end to replace the Plat with a Sig, which took 2 months to complete.

As for reducing one's CL leading to instant approval for a Sig, I'd canceled my last AS card over 3 months prior, had no B of A cards of any type open, have a long history with B of A, and a substantial Premium Checking/Savings account with them, and still got instantly approved for only a Plat.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:46 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
I got approved for one card with enough credit to move to the second application to okay it, but they wouldn't/couldn't budge - no second card for two applications.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by CASACW2
I have one other Alaska card that I've had for 3 months - 12k limit on that one. He said 12k is the max they'll give anyone. I asked if he could take 5k from the 12k on my first card and put on the second one. So now my original one is at 7k, second has 5k (which will be sent out in mail soon)

I've got about 8-9 years of history with credit cards.

I mentioned that I wanted to keep things separate, personal travel and home building expenses, which is why I requested multiple. He said he couldn't approve more than the one that he seemed hesitant to approve due to the max credit limit they offer people (12k total among cards)
I was approved for two cards today, each with a 16K limit.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Preparing for a 3BM and have few questions: Do we give Alaska FF# on all the apps, do you give personal info by logging into BoA? This is my first Alaska adventure, I know I missed a ton of miles but got to start somewhere.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by concordian
Do we give Alaska FF# on all the apps, do you give personal info by logging into BoA? This is my first Alaska adventure, I know I missed a ton of miles but got to start somewhere.
Yes, you use your AS FF#, otherwise they open new accounts to put the miles in, and it's a real hassle to hunt them down and get them merged.

And yes, you may as well be logged into B of A. You need to use your actual SS#, address and phone #. They are going to figure out who you are anyway.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by concordian
Preparing for a 3BM and have few questions: Do we give Alaska FF# on all the apps, do you give personal info by logging into BoA? This is my first Alaska adventure, I know I missed a ton of miles but got to start somewhere.
Datapoint: I did a 3BM this morning. Instantly approved for one, pending review on the other two. Called in to get the second application unmarked as duplicate and was able to shift credit to get it approved. CSR said that she was unable to unmark the third as duplicate. Tried again and asked about shifting credit to the third and was told that I had the maximum number of new cards allowed. I recall seeing a couple of posts floating around about a maximum of two cards in a 90 day period. Best of luck to you!
Old May 19, 2015, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by danyowma
Datapoint: I did a 3BM this morning. Instantly approved for one, pending review on the other two. Called in to get the second application unmarked as duplicate and was able to shift credit to get it approved. CSR said that she was unable to unmark the third as duplicate. Tried again and asked about shifting credit to the third and was told that I had the maximum number of new cards allowed. I recall seeing a couple of posts floating around about a maximum of two cards in a 90 day period. Best of luck to you!
If we go back a week or so, we have posts about people getting 5 cards approved the same day. Not since then, but also no posts about anyone even trying that. I think there are 2 different ways to think about applying for AS cards. One is that there are no data points at all. The other is that all of the data points seem to contradict each other.

In summary: YMMV. Or maybe in this case, YAMV.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by CASACW2
I have one other Alaska card that I've had for 3 months - 12k limit on that one. He said 12k is the max they'll give anyone. I asked if he could take 5k from the 12k on my first card and put on the second one. So now my original one is at 7k, second has 5k (which will be sent out in mail soon)

I've got about 8-9 years of history with credit cards.

I mentioned that I wanted to keep things separate, personal travel and home building expenses, which is why I requested multiple. He said he couldn't approve more than the one that he seemed hesitant to approve due to the max credit limit they offer people (12k total among cards)
not even close to true. Wife and I each have a current total BOA CL of ~4x that amount across 3 open cards, we always get approved for 17.5k on new apps.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:46 pm

When I applied for 4 cards last week, only 1 card was approved by the computer for a $20K CL. I had to call in. I have no history with BofA at all, so I got transferred to the security/fraud department, who verified my identity and approved 1 other card, also for $20K. He then transferred me back to card management, who approved the final 2 cards, but only gave me $5K CL for each the 3rd and 4th cards. I don't know why he didn't just do $12.5K each, or even $15/$15/$10/$10K. I didn't think about it then, but I've since read some people say that a $5K CL doesn't guarantee getting the Visa Signature card. I don't want to get stuck with a card that doesn't give 25K miles.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Data point: Applied today using 2BM. Neither app was approved instantly (I think it has something to do with occupation). Called in, CSR asked why two apps, said I want to keep spending separate, which I do. He approved the first app for $14k without any further questions but said it got randomly flagged for a senior specialist to check his work. Said that he could not approve the second app until the first one was review/acknowledged his work on the first one. Said that should take 24-48 hours. I repeatedly asked about the credit pulls and he stated that he had all the info he needed for the second App and since the pulls were done on the same day they would show up as one pull. I also confirmed $100 statement credit for $1k in spend
Old May 19, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
It really sounds like a random approval process. Both my wife and I appled for 3 and all went pending. Called the reconsideration line (separately) and got all approved with a 10K limit on each. I have not yet received the cards but 75K posted to my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.