Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Capital One use of pin in EU = not cash advace

Capital One use of pin in EU = not cash advace

Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Question Capital One use of pin in EU = not cash advace

Im in Europe right now and notice that almost all merchants require a pin for transaction using a credit card.

So, I called Capitalone and they issued me a pin to use, and told me that I wont be charged under "cash advance" as long as you dont use it at atms, banks etc.

However, is this really true? Does anybody have had the same experience?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by KL808
Europe right now and notice that almost all merchants require a pin for transaction using a credit card.
They do not require a PIN for a "swipe" transaction. Chip & PIN is the common method of authenticating transactions in Europe. Your card does not have an EMV contact chip. Entering a PIN with a swiped transaction will have no effect. This trip, just pay the way you do in the USA, by swiping and signing. When you return look at these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the "early days" of chip & PIN discussion (ie, before US banks started rolling EMV cards out), there were occasional reports of someone sticking a swipe card into a slot in a kiosk someplace or other, and being asked for a PIN. In some cases 0000 worked, in some cases 9999 worked, and in some cases the PIN associated with the card worked (but I'm not sure if those people had tried other numbers first, ie, if it wasn't just any random 4-digit number that worked!). But in many cases, nothing at all worked.

It depends if the kiosk has a combination swipe and chip slot, or only a chip slot.

As time goes on, more of Europe's kiosks are getting their card readers updated, and as that happens, they often stop accepting swipe cards period.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.