Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about credit inquiries (pulls)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Is it true that a pull doesn't fall off until the first day of the 25th month after the pull occurred?
Hard inquiries stay on your credit report for two years.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Hard inquiries stay on your credit report for two years.
Yes, but the OP was trying to get info on what that really means: does it disappear on the 2 year anniversary, or, as the OP was told somewhere, after the 1st day of the 25th month after the inq
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EP; Formerly an Over-Entitled UA 1K MM until I wised-up and left UA for AA.
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Another poster wrote in a thread that he thinks (hard) credit pulls fall off your report the first day of the 25th month after the pull occurred. If that truly is the case, we all should be planning our App-O-Ramas a bit differently, applying just after the first of the month -- once three months since the last App-O-Rama have passed.

Is it true that a pull doesn't fall off until the first day of the 25th month after the pull occurred?

If so, I would assume that applies to all time period considered, so that if a credit card issuer were considering the number of pulls in the previous 12 months, pulls wouldn't fall off until the first day of the 13 month after the pull occurred. Anyone know if this is the case?
Depends on the CRA when the hard inquiry falls off your credit report.
Equifax and TransUnion: 24 months
Experian: 25 months
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
FICO scores only include hard pulls under 12 months of age and one that are 6-12 months old have very little effect. Also, many creditors are using alternative CRAs in addition to the big three and some of these alternative CRAs track applications by household (address) not by individual.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
FICO scores only include hard pulls under 12 months of age and one that are 6-12 months old have very little effect. Also, many creditors are using alternative CRAs in addition to the big three and some of these alternative CRAs track applications by household (address) not by individual.
What he said! The worst way to do App-o-Ramas is overthinking it.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the insight, everyone.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another point is that the bank (at which you're applying for a card, or for other credit) may only look a certain amount of time back, not necessarily at all the inquiries on your report.

Citi, for example, tends to usually care only about how many inquiries you had in the last 6 months (not how many are on your report as far back as it goes).

(Sorry, I don't know the specifics for any other bank. But this one data point alone, with the facts about credit scores in a post above, should illustrate that you should care much more about recent inquiries than about when they will fall off of your credit report.)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
How do you keep track of who does credit pulls?

I have a free account with Creditkarma.com that shows limited TU info.

How do you guys know what pull you have from a specific CC app?

I just logged in to creditkarma and saw this:

Lender: FAC/FAC
Industry: Miscellaneous, Not Elsewhere Classified
Inquiry Date: Feb 14, 2011

and want to know where I could get more info on it
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:05 am

Creditkarma gets its info from your transunion report. If you see something and you can't think of what it is and google does not give you any good info then you can usually get more information like an address off of your actual credit report from TU. Then google the address and that will show you who it is.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:14 am

If you truly want to know, get your free annualcreditreport.com for each bureau or pay for it. It's worth the small price if you want to know.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
I know about the annual credit report...

but when people apply and say "CITI pulled EX/EQ for my app" .. they are buying their report after an app or using something else?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:20 am

I use citi identity monitor, you can pull your report from all the 3 companies each month. Also anytime there is a pull on your credit you get a email notice from citi. There are links out there for $4.95 a month, usually its about $14 a month.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by kannon99
I use citi identity monitor, you can pull your report from all the 3 companies each month. Also anytime there is a pull on your credit you get a email notice from citi. There are links out there for $4.95 a month, usually its about $14 a month.

Can you point me to one of these links I have credit secure with Amex and I don't like it.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by jada135
Can you point me to one of these links I have credit secure with Amex and I don't like it.
Just google citi identity monitor 4.95, first link should give you your answer.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:41 am

I use CreditCheck Monitoring Premium. I can pull all three credit reports once per day. If you get it through USAA.com it is $12.95 per month. Credit is a hobby of mine so to me it is worth it.

If you only want to get a look at each credit report once every 30 days or so you can usually get a free report at each credit bureau site by clicking that you have recently had adverse action (credit denial) or you want to dispute something on your report. The bureaus make those links hard to find and try to sell you crap along the way as you click through but I used to do it that way. Maybe go to creditboards.com and search for "free credit reports" they probably have the information and links there somewhere if you can't find them on TU, Experian, and Equifax sites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.