Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware when closing B of A credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Beware when closing B of A credit cards

I have had the Alaska Airlines card for 11 months and finally cancelled today to avoid the annual fee. CSR cancelled and said any forwarded points will be forfeited. When asked, she said any charges to the credit card will be forfeited but my sign up bonus won't be as Alaska Airlines gave it to me...Although the whole year I charged less than $500, I wonder if they would remove the amount of mileage points from my Alaska Air account. The amount I charged on my CC was from 2 months to 11 months ago.

Anyone else been told about forwarded points being forfieted?

At least the sign up bonus points are saved.

EDIT- I wonder if i made a mistake by calling the phone number given on the B of A chatline ( 800-770-6459) for account under review number. Perhaps I should have just checked the number on back of credit card number. Oh well, about losing $250 is not alot if they intend to claw back my miles

Edit 2 - called the customer number on back of card , talk to customer service and she assured me my Miles will not be forfeited. it is only if you have a Bank card and not mileage card, will you lose all your points. She said CSR from 800-770-6459 made a mistake.....

Last edited by metoo; Jun 20, 2012 at 7:54 am
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It seems likely that she only meant that any points earned in the current billing cycle, but not yet posted, will be forfeited.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mia is right. What you would forfeit is those that on the current billing cycle that would not be sent over until after statement close. But CSR often does not convey the message well.

If one intends to close a card, one should stop spend on that card in the billing cycle one will close the card so nothing to lose.

As for the forfeiture of miles from the bank card, that is not true either. Again, it would be those on the current month that haven't been sent to AS. Last year I happened to learn about a case from someone whose BofA accounts were closed by the bank after he inquired why he hadn't received US miles for a few months using his US debit card. And guess what? BofA sent all the US miles to his account a few months later with a letter to inform him that upon audit the bank OWED him those miles! And we are not talking small number like yours... It is a big chunk that close to the annual cap...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.