FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Any ideas for small ( potentially recurring) transactions on credit card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1294075-any-ideas-small-potentially-recurring-transactions-credit-card.html)

masterflyercap Dec 22, 2011 9:30 am

Any ideas for small ( potentially recurring) transactions on credit card

I have 2 debit cards on which I have to perform 10 credit card like transactions ( non-pin) each to get higher interest then savings account. I do not earn points / miles for these so, I i like to keep it limited to small transactions.

I typically use it for coffee and other small expenses. But would like to know if I can use it online for small transactions ( possibly below $1!)
Any ideas?

The idea is to be able to put spending on other cards to earn miles from them.

moo-moo Dec 22, 2011 9:39 am

This isn't the right FT forum or even the right website for this kind of question. Mods may move it since it has nothing to do with earning miles/points.

Split your utility bills into small increments. Some companies allow payments of $.01.

Other ideas (most are widely known and discussed at fatwallet & elsewhere) ...
- Amazon GC, as low as $.15 -- not sure if this still works
- Charitable donations - some as low as $1.00
- buy songs or apps on iTunes for $.99 each

Not online but other ways ..
- pump 1 cent gas
- 1 cent bulk food at grocery store (SCO to avoid scrutiny)

I'm sure if you search on the proper forum you'll see other interesting ideas. FWIW, some people may frown on this idea because it theoretically accelerates the demise of reward checking accounts or leads to lower rates.

pongben Dec 22, 2011 1:51 pm

I believe AT&T allows you to make small partial payments on your phone bill with a credit card. Probably works with debit cards too.

bitachu Dec 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by moo-moo (Post 17674834)
This isn't the right FT forum or even the right website for this kind of question. Mods may move it since it has nothing to do with earning miles/points.

Split your utility bills into small increments. Some companies allow payments of $.01.

Other ideas (most are widely known and discussed at fatwallet & elsewhere) ...
- Amazon GC, as low as $.15 -- not sure if this still works
- Charitable donations - some as low as $1.00
- buy songs or apps on iTunes for $.99 each

Not online but other ways ..
- pump 1 cent gas
- 1 cent bulk food at grocery store (SCO to avoid scrutiny)

I'm sure if you search on the proper forum you'll see other interesting ideas. FWIW, some people may frown on this idea because it theoretically accelerates the demise of reward checking accounts or leads to lower rates.

yes I agree on gas....

or maybe even blockbusterexpress or redbox would be good...

Ragnarok Dec 22, 2011 6:40 pm

I would recommend against doing the gas thing.

Gas station often puts up to a US$100 hold for each pay at the pump transaction.

This ties up funds.

Plus random gas station charges are often flagged by the fraud department.

SanDiego1K Dec 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Self checkout at Home Depot allows you to scan one package of nail at a time - or so I've been told.

TheNoobTraveler Dec 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 17678287)
Self checkout at Home Depot allows you to scan one package of nail at a time - or so I've been told.

+1 I have done this at my grocery stores self checkout.

People did start to stare at me.

mia Dec 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Small transactions have recently become disproportionately expensive for merchants:

Many business owners who sell low-priced goods like coffee and candy bars now are paying higher rates—not lower—when their customers use debit cards for transactions that are less than roughly $10.

That is because credit-card companies used to give merchants discounts on debit-card fees they pay on small transactions. But the Dodd-Frank Act placed an overall cap on the fees, and the banking industry has responded by eliminating the discounts.
Read the entire article in the Wall Street Journal,

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DS=debit+cards

beltway Dec 26, 2011 2:32 pm

See this thread from MilesBuzz for suggestions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...solidated.html

cbn42 Dec 30, 2011 4:44 pm

You can always use it for buying coffee, buying a couple of items at the supermarket, etc.

I would warn you against making non-bona fide transactions, because the bank will catch on. For example, if you have 5 $1 transactions from the same grocery store within a few minutes of each other, then they will figure you are gaming the system and flag your account.

bk3day Jan 4, 2012 11:14 pm

purchase a banana 19 cents from Trader Joe's

make a single copy at Staples for 11 cents each.

FYI- separate copies even on different machines done at the same time will be consolidated as a single purchase.