Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta, Frontier
I've been looking for a business MC because of Sam's Club, too. Here is what I found.

Barclay's offers business mastercards for Frontier and USAirways. Frontier's MC has a $59 annual fee while USAirways has a $79 annual fee. Both annual fee cards rewards 1 mile / $1 spent. Both also have a no annual fee option, but the reward is 1 mile / $2 spent for both.

CitiBank has an AA business MC that rewards 1 mile / $1 spent as well as two business MC that rewards ThankYou points for purchases.

Bank of America has several business MC that offer WorldPoints. All of their airline business cards are Visa cards.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bobvc
I've been looking for a business MC because of Sam's Club, too. Here is what I found.

Barclay's offers business mastercards for Frontier and USAirways. Frontier's MC has a $59 annual fee while USAirways has a $79 annual fee. Both annual fee cards rewards 1 mile / $1 spent. Both also have a no annual fee option, but the reward is 1 mile / $2 spent for both.

CitiBank has an AA business MC that rewards 1 mile / $1 spent as well as two business MC that rewards ThankYou points for purchases.

Bank of America has several business MC that offer WorldPoints. All of their airline business cards are Visa cards.
The question on those cards is whether they report to your personal credit report. I know Citi doesn't, but I have not gotten solid (recent) answers from either BOA (phone) or Barclays (phone & thread) on whether they show on personal. Barclays used to not report to personal, but the CARD Act might have changed their way of credit reporting.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 5:37 pm

Newbie business owner and future traveler

Hey everyone,

I have been engrossed in the forum for a couple days now and I have a couple questions on getting started.

New business (sole proprietorship) starting on April 1st, expenses won't be high (maybe $400 a month).

Personally I spend around $600-$1200 per month on my own card. So far, I only have a AMEX Blue that I have had for 7-8 years. I also had a Southwest Visa registered in my name for my old company, and I still have that card today.

Current plan:

Was hoping for a Business card with a decent bonus and no annual fee since my spend will be so low. Plan on putting all business expenses on this card.

Personal:

Was thinking of getting a Sapphire Preffered under the current 50k bonus and possibly also applying for the UA 50(60)k bonus. I would use the Sapphire as my personal card until reaching the 3k required, then move personal expenditures to a different card.

Credit score is 750+.

Any opinions on whether I'm going about this right and especially any suggestions on a business card with a decent bonus and no annual fee would be awesome. Also, I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be a business card, but I would like to keep my business expenses separate from personal.

Thanks so such, even if no one responds I have learned a ton already!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 5:49 pm
In memoriam

IMHO, there is no good reason (beyond bonuses) for a sole proprietor with a small business to get a biz card. In fact, can be dangerous since biz cards are not protected by Fair Credit Billing Act. Better to use a personal card for biz purposes.

Right now, I would apply for an INK Bold from Chase (biz card, but 50K bonus for $5K spend in 3 months makes it worthwhile, until spend is met, then go to personal card).

Also, personal Chase Sapphire Preferred with 50K bonus for $3K spend in 3 months.

Of course, you will find many more on FT and the blogs but those two are a good start.

Keep in mind that unless you are spending really, really big bucks the bonuses are where the miles are.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

A number of short threads have been consolidated. Reviewing this thread should answer the recurring questions about eligibility to apply for a business card, how the applications are evaluated and reported, and the trade-offs versus using a separate personal account for business purposes.

See also this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...nal-cards.html
Old May 11, 2012, 7:09 am

Applying for business card

Should I apply for business versions of AA and Delta cards since I got personal cards few months back for more miles?
Old May 11, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
What cards do you currently hold and what are your goals? I think most everyone will ask you for that and more info. Everyone's different so give as much info as you can for best advice.
Old May 11, 2012, 9:20 am

Applying for business card

I have:
Delta gold sky miles 30,000
Citi AA 50,000
US Barclays 40,000

Want to travel with my wife both domestically and internationally. Several places in mind. But will look for best deals. Does that help at all?
Old May 12, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
wait for 65-70 days, after you get your personal card.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by travelsg
wait for 65-70 days, after you get your personal card.
can u be holding onto the AA perosnal and then apply for the business card and get the miles?
Old May 12, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Done it more than once with Citi and Chase..
Old May 13, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Both Chase and Citi will allow you to have both the personal and the business card at the same time.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Originally Posted by webazoid
can u be holding onto the AA perosnal and then apply for the business card and get the miles?
yes, I just did it..
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know it's an older thread, but things have changed a bit with the new laws.

I already have a Citi Visa and Amex - got them a couple of months ago. I just got an email (targetted) offering me a CitiBusiness AAdvantage World Master Card. 35K bonus (which is really all I'm interested in - this is FT, after all).

Anyhow, it's been at least 60 days since I applied for the other cards and, well, they did invite me, so...

How tough are they these days on business apps? I would be a small personal biz, $0-$25K income, SSN (no EIN), etc. I would have no problem making the spend ($1500/3 months) and the bonus would put me just about within grasp of our next big eurotrip.

Go for it? Fuggeddaboutit? What's the consensus these days?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:04 am
In memoriam

Assuming Citi is offering to waive the annual fee for the first year this appears to be a good deal. Go for it! ^

As for how tough they are on biz apps, not very IMHO, but the only way to know for sure is to apply as these things change.

Having an SSN only should not be a problem. I have gotten many biz cards using SSN, including from Citi.

Stating income from zero to $25K is a problem. Bank needs an exact figure. Take a closer look at your biz and see if you can make a fair projection for this year that includes some actual income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.