Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by robertw477
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike2200

You're going to ask a bunch of strangers on a public forum what credit card you should use to spend 2.4 million yearly, perhaps better asked to your tax accountant on the best procedure to use.

Oh, and welcome to Flyer talk

Seriously. ... does a tax accountant know about miles/points. And frankly its not relevant in any way. Which cards he is using has no bearing on his business in general. And for the most part ... does a tax accountant know about running a business? The only business they know is running a tax business :-)
With todays technology to download statements, transactions into Quickbooks etc that should be no problem to split things.
A tax accountant does know about tax consequences and the best way to benefit his client regarding filing taxes. I would hope looking into the the best ways to benefit from purchases of 2.4 million dollars per year would be more important than getting some airline or hotel points not to mention the fact that OP is asking a bunch of strangers online for advise. IMHO

Last edited by mike2200; Mar 6, 2016 at 11:48 am
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Not sure how much travel you want to do or currently do. But you can spend 400k on SPG and get your 400,000 points which will let you and a partner fly business class pretty much anywhere and get you a weeks stay at a top their hotel and then put $2 mil on a 2% cash back card for a $40,000/yr tax free bonus.

That sounds pretty good to me.

Also, depending on what your buying and from whom, you may be able to negotiate a cheaper cash price saving you even more money. Food for thought.

Last edited by jags86; Feb 25, 2016 at 1:27 pm Reason: additional thoughts
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:32 am

Based on a $2.4 million in annual spending, my concern is if banks will start asking questions or closing down accounts for the alleged MS.
Not if it's legitimate spending which as a business I'm sure it would be. My business spends tens of thousands monthly on credit cards and there hasn't been one issue with my spending. You're looking for something that doesn't exist when it comes to a business and its spending. We have to account for every dollar that goes in and out of the business and manufacturing spending as a legitimate business would be a very stupid thing to do.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by VABuckeye
Not if it's legitimate spending which as a business I'm sure it would be. My business spends tens of thousands monthly on credit cards and there hasn't been one issue with my spending. You're looking for something that doesn't exist when it comes to a business and its spending. We have to account for every dollar that goes in and out of the business and manufacturing spending as a legitimate business would be a very stupid thing to do.
I agree.
Doing MS with a true business is a bookkeeping nightmare. I did it a little bit with Amex $3K cards when there was a high cash back option, but even that was way more paperwork that it was worth.

To the OP- I am not quite at that level, but like you there are massive legit non-bonus expenses every month. I've found that I can get all the miles I need from sign-on bonuses, and use the business to meet the spend. All the other expenses go on Barclays Arrival+. Because of the way we like to travel (non-chain boutique hotels, private tour guides, AirB&B rentals, etc), there are lots of cash expenses even if the trip is "free". Barclays 2.1% Cash Back comes in handy. I've been able to keep the travel rebates off the P&L sheet for now. YMMV.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:49 am

We charge $50k or so a month. An issue we have is the credit limit, I couldn't get a limit that high despite multiple attempts. So if you go with one card be prepared to pay if off weekly.

I spread it out over two chase inks. Our bonus category spend - gas/hotels/restaurant/office/phone is 50%. I'd look hard at a 2% card, $50k back is a lot!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:49 pm
formerly PHLGrump

Which business credit card do you recommend?

I opened shop recently and am looking for a business credit card. I won't be spending a ton of money on it, but I don't want a simple cash back card.

Looking for some solid point bonuses. Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:54 pm

this literally provides no information. You need to provide information about where and how you spend your money, like, what categories?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:59 pm
formerly PHLGrump

Originally Posted by runb4fun
this literally provides no information. You need to provide information about where and how you spend your money, like, what categories?
It's a 100% online business so:
  • Online tool subscriptions
  • Web hosting
  • Designer fees
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by dcperilli
It's a 100% online business so:
  • Online tool subscriptions
  • Web hosting
  • Designer fees
Amex BGR would be a good choice with the 3x bonus category set to online services.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:36 am
In memoriam

Key point about biz cards is that they lack the very important consumer protections of personal cards. Biz card users are not protected by, e.g., the Fair Credit Billing Act.

Personally, I have used personal cards for business charges for many years with no problems.

Only time I use biz card is to get a big bonus. As soon as bonus is received I go back to personal cards.

Contrary to what the banks suggest there is no real advantage to a small business in using biz cards.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Key point about biz cards is that they lack the very important consumer protections of personal cards. Biz card users are not protected by, e.g., the Fair Credit Billing Act.

Personally, I have used personal cards for business charges for many years with no problems.

Only time I use biz card is to get a big bonus. As soon as bonus is received I go back to personal cards.

Contrary to what the banks suggest there is no real advantage to a small business in using biz cards.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
Chase Ink Plus is quite good. !
Old May 16, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Best Business Rewards Card

Spent a while trying to figure the best place to post this. Mods, please move if not.

I have a small company, maybe 20 cards, maybe $100,000 charged annually. The miles plan I've been using has become less and less rewarding in recent years, going to make a change and deciding to which card/program. The Capital One Spark Miles card looks decent. I just want my reward points to be of some value. Is the Spark card the best for general rewards, hotels, cars, as well as airline travel? Appreciate any feedback.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:34 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I am moving the thread to the 'Credit Card Programs' forum.

NewbieRunner
Co-moderator, CommunityBuzz
Old May 16, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icspres
Spent a while trying to figure the best place to post this. Mods, please move if not.

I have a small company, maybe 20 cards, maybe $100,000 charged annually. The miles plan I've been using has become less and less rewarding in recent years, going to make a change and deciding to which card/program. The Capital One Spark Miles card looks decent. I just want my reward points to be of some value. Is the Spark card the best for general rewards, hotels, cars, as well as airline travel? Appreciate any feedback.
It depends. If you want fly "up front" (business or first) on international longhaul flights, Spark Miles is horrible, because it's simply a glorified cashback card that requires you to spend your cash back on travel, meaning you have to pay everything at going cash rates, and can't use the "trick" of business class flights being only 2x to 2.5x the number of miles of economy class flights, but being 4x or 5x or more the cash cost of economy class flights.

If, OTOH, you will only use Sparks "Miles" (actually points) for discount economy flights, lower cost hotels, etc, then it's decent, but again, it's no better than any other cash back card that earns at the same rate (except if you need to the discipline of segregating your travel cash back from general cash back).

The obvious reference for cash back is the 2% of Citi's Double Cash with no annual fee. Another reference is Barclay Arrival+, which many consider a better-than-average travel-specific cash back card (while few consider anything from Cap One to be "best in class"). Neither is a business card, though.

Finally, remember that any card-specific program, you can only earn through the card. As opposed to an airline program, the miles you earn from the card combine with the miles you earn on paid flights combine with the miles you earn with car rentals (if you credit to the airline) combine with the miles you earn in airline dining programs combine with the miles you earn in airline shopping programs. Of course, if you're putting $100k of spend on cards, you might not care about all that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.