Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
You guys know that Amex has credit cards and charge cards? Somebody said these are "counted" separately.
That's right. I have 6 Amex cards, two charge cards and four credit cards. The limit applies to credit cards (SPG, Hilton, etc.), not charge card (Gold, Platinum).
Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
Does this mean that credit lines for business cards do not count towards your combined credit limit for all cards, and therefore should not be a source of concern if you're worried banks may think you have too much credit?
Nope. Citi gave me a small line on an AA Biz card because I already had quite a lot of personal credit with them. Chase is good about moving some limits from personal cards to open up a new biz card thus not extending you more credit.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
I see a lot of talk about separating business and personal expenses as a valid explanation for the creditor as to why you need a biz card. However, I haven't seen anyone talk about getting a business card for their day-job related expenses if the company doesn't offer a corporate card.

I've been told I'll be traveling for work in 2013 and they expect me to pay for large expenses on my own dime and then get reimbursed. Would that be enough to get a biz card, or would I still need to call myself a sole proprietor?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PHLisa
I've been told I'll be traveling for work in 2013 and they expect me to pay for large expenses on my own dime and then get reimbursed. Would that be enough to get a biz card, or would I still need to call myself a sole proprietor?
Are you authorized to apply for credit on your employer's behalf? Do you really want to?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:04 pm

I see a lot of talk about separating business and personal expenses as a valid explanation for the creditor as to why you need a biz card. However, I haven't seen anyone talk about getting a business card for their day-job related expenses if the company doesn't offer a corporate card.

Yes go ahead. But that means separating business and personal expenses,no?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Are you authorized to apply for credit on your employer's behalf? Do you really want to?
I think you misunderstood my question. I was talking about applying in my name for a card for business expenses related to my current job, not getting a card in my company's name. They will not issue me a corporate card, but expect me to foot the bill and then get reimbursed.

I was trying to figure out if that would meet the criteria to get me a business card or does the "business" part of business card always have to be for my own business, rather than business I am doing for my company.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:51 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I think you misunderstood my question. I was talking about applying in my name for a card for business expenses related to my current job, not getting a card in my company's name. They will not issue me a corporate card, but expect me to foot the bill and then get reimbursed.
It's a question of the semantics of it which, unlike in most situations, may be important here.

My concern is this: If you fill out the application with your name or a fake company name, then go to reconsideration talking about getting reimbursed for another company's expenses, the call could go like this:

Chase Rep: Why do you need the card?
PHLisa: My employer makes me cover my own expenses then reimburses me later, so I want to keep them separate.
Chase Rep: Who is your employer?
PHLisa: XYZ Giant Company
Chase Rep: Then why did you put down your own name / fake name? Re-apply in the name of the company incurring the charges.

What the rep wants to hear is a business reason that matches the name of the business on the application. The more complicated you make the situation, the more likely they'll get confused or think you're trying to defraud them.

The thing to keep in mind is that most reps at Chase care about two things: Does your personal credit profile support approving you for another card? And: Will the card be used for something that could conceivably be a business purpose, so they don't run afowl of consumer protection laws?

As soon as the rep can think "yes" to both of those things, you're approved. Maybe I'm making too much of this - perhaps others have done exactly what you were thinking. They certainly have with two personal cards - but for personal cards, it doesn't matter what you're using them for legally, as long as it's not criminal, because Chase isn't required to check that.

Actually, if you decided to try it, I'd love to hear your results.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:18 am

I think you're right. I've seen commenters in multiple places say something like, "great, now you have a legit reason to apply for a biz card - you need to keep spending separate", but I've not actually read that anyone used this reason to successfully get approved. I'd do better to set up a business selling my hand knit scarves.

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by PresskittJon
Nope. Citi gave me a small line on an AA Biz card because I already had quite a lot of personal credit with them. Chase is good about moving some limits from personal cards to open up a new biz card thus not extending you more credit.
Does Citi also move credit lines between personal and business cards?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Chase does not want you to Brag to the about how much you are going to spend.

Most business people are conservative, tell them you are only going to spend $3500 or what ever a month, you are doing it to track your expenses, and you can use the perks that go with the card.

I have a business checking with Chase, and a few business cards,
What they do not want to see is creative spikes in spending..
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:16 am

I'm evaluating the likelihood of my getting approved for a business credit card.

I don't have a "business" per se. I am, however, a "household employer" with a Federal EIN. I have one "employee" (nanny). I obviously don't make revenue of any kind, but I do withhold and remit payroll taxes.

Enough to get approved? Personal credit score of 760+. I appreciate insights from anyone knowledgeable.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:35 am

I've been digging around Flyertalk looking for someone who has been approved for 2 Ink Bolds with the same SSN. Most folks here have separate tax id #'s for their businesses, but I am looking to see if I can get a 2nd Ink Bold with the same SSN/sole proprietor if I can explain that I have two separate businesses. I just don't have LLC/incorporations set up for them.

Anyone?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
You realize their is a Chase INK, Bold, Chase Classic and Chase Plus card...so there are 3 different cards..
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by patternseverywhere
I'm evaluating the likelihood of my getting approved for a business credit card.

I don't have a "business" per se. I am, however, a "household employer" with a Federal EIN. I have one "employee" (nanny). I obviously don't make revenue of any kind, but I do withhold and remit payroll taxes.

Enough to get approved? Personal credit score of 760+. I appreciate insights from anyone knowledgeable.
Responding to my own post but wanted to log my unique data point.

Got approved today for an Ink+ as a "household employer" with no revenue. I've searched FT and Google and could't find stories from others who have done the same. Applied. Got the pending message. Called recon minutes later. Explained my rationale (i.e., "wanted the nanny to have a dedicated card for incidental daily expenses that I don't want co-mingled with my personal expenses.") No problem. Rep pointed out that this was my fourth card with Chase in the past year and had to adjust some of my lines of credit but otherwise pain-free.

So, if you by chance have a nanny (in lieu of an actual money-producing business), you may still have a legit angle at obtaining a "business" credit card.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:12 pm

just got approved for 2 business cards today. First was the big one, Amex platinum for biz, 100,000 MR points for $10k spending in 3 months. Ambitious but I know I can do it. Second was Citibusiness AA World Mastercard for 35k miles after spending $1500. I only got a thousand dollar credit line (called for "reconsideration" since I got the "we'll get back to you in a week" message, and rep said he could approve me right away but only for one thousand, did I still want it?). I'm hoping Citi will allow me to shift some of my personal credit line WAYYYYY into 5 figures with them, to my business one so I can knock out my minimum spending faster and not worry about collecting my sign up bonus. anyone successful getting them to shift personal to business? My biz is 2 and a half years old, sole proprietor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.