Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Reply

Old Aug 20, 12, 8:09 pm
  #151  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Coast
Programs: Primarily AA and oneworld alliance partners
Posts: 940
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Your assumption is wrong.

Credit card application has NOTHING to do with tax reporting.

OP, mia gives you a very good answer. Your rental property is as good as any business can get.
My assumption is not wrong. It is a valid response to the OP's question, "Is being a landlord for a second home a business?" She has a second home. It is rental income. It's not like the OP is in the business of leasing/managing a number of homes as a business.

I'm just going by the standard definition of a 'business' as an entity engaged in the trade of goods, services, or both to consumers. Would the IRS consider "rental income" as a business? No. Should the credit card issuer? Likely no, but pedantic aside, if people wants to futz with the definition of what is defined as a business for the purpose of applying for credit card, then it's fine, but let's call it what it is:

Can I apply for a business card if I don't have a business?
BOShappyflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 12, 11:57 am
  #152  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 60
Valid Business

I have never applied for a business card before because I don't own a business of any kind. However, there just seems to be so many good cards that are business only (Chase Ink, Southwest). I am wondering, what are legit businesses people use to apply for business cards. I don't want to say something I don't do, but want to come with with a legit thing I do that would be considered a business.
naseefc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 12, 11:59 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,987
Originally Posted by naseefc View Post
I have never applied for a business card before because I don't own a business of any kind. However, there just seems to be so many good cards that are business only (Chase Ink, Southwest). I am wondering, what are legit businesses people use to apply for business cards. I don't want to say something I don't do, but want to come with with a legit thing I do that would be considered a business.
Walk up to a friend, sell them something - now you have a business, in particular - sales. Annual sales are under $5k
Stoughton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 12, 12:03 pm
  #154  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 60
Does this really work though? I mean if Chase calls and asks me about my business, I tell them I have a business because I sold a concert ticket to a friend? That's really enough?
naseefc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 12, 12:26 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,562
Originally Posted by naseefc View Post
Does this really work though? I mean if Chase calls and asks me about my business, I tell them I have a business because I sold a concert ticket to a friend? That's really enough?
Tell them the nature of your business and your annual sales. They'll decide whether that is sufficient.
broadwayblue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 12, 1:32 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Posts: 2,687
I've found that Chase likes a bit of a chat about business activities. Luckily I have a good imagination. It's kind of fun. One day Mrs User Name and I might actually start up the kinds of businesses that Chase thinks we have!
User Name is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 12, 2:14 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Posts: 1,189
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I've found that Chase likes a bit of a chat about business activities. Luckily I have a good imagination. It's kind of fun. One day Mrs User Name and I might actually start up the kinds of businesses that Chase thinks we have!

Thanks for sharing that! It's good to know. With that info, I just got approved after calling reconsideration for a Marriott Business card based in large part because of my optimism for future income in a side business (and wanting to separate business expenses from personal expenses of course!)

I have a full time job already and a strong credit history. So he probably used that existing income to approve the business card.
jeanie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 12, 11:37 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 871
is it true that applying for/getting business card doesn't affect credit utilization?

I've heard that business card doesn't affect your credit utilization ratio since other companies can't see on your credit report that you have a business card. Is that true?

i.e. I just applied for citi aa business 50k promotion this weekend. didn't get an instant approproval. i guess they'll contact me next week. would chase be able to see that i just got a citi aa business card if i get approval?
webazoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 12, 4:03 am
  #159  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SIN
Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 257
From my experience, it is right. I have big spending on my ink bold card. But all three agencies never show any inofrmation about business card. Since it is business card, it is reasonable to asume the spending is not personal.
Daniel on the way is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 12, 10:32 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Northport, NY
Posts: 1,646
My Capital One Sparks business credit account does appear on my personal Equifax report. Under type of account it has "Business Credit Card (individual has primary responsiblity).

My Chase, Citi and Amex business cards do not appear.
Schutzee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 12, 5:20 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West
Posts: 3,323
Business vs Corporate, there is a difference. Business counts, Corporate does not.
1Newflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 12, 6:20 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC.
Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus Silver & Others.
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
Business vs Corporate, there is a difference. Business counts, Corporate does not.

Err. As far as I can tell, neither my Amex nor Chase Business cards show up on any of my credit reports or appear to effect my credit rating.
suspire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 12, 6:46 pm
  #163  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West
Posts: 3,323
Originally Posted by suspire View Post
Err. As far as I can tell, neither my Amex nor Chase Business cards show up on any of my credit reports or appear to effect my credit rating.
My does but it's a Canadian Amex.
1Newflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 12, 10:03 pm
  #164  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WAS
Programs: SPG LTG, DL Plat
Posts: 1,642
Another data point for Chase and AX business cards not being on my personal CR. I've heard Barclay's US biz card DOES report to personal CRs. It DOES reflect in the bank's internal system as a card with them, so it will affect their decisions in granting you new credit (i.e. the Chase analysts will see your Ink card if you apply for the personal Hyatt).
DC777Fan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 12, 10:56 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 871
Originally Posted by DC777Fan View Post
Another data point for Chase and AX business cards not being on my personal CR. I've heard Barclay's US biz card DOES report to personal CRs. It DOES reflect in the bank's internal system as a card with them, so it will affect their decisions in granting you new credit (i.e. the Chase analysts will see your Ink card if you apply for the personal Hyatt).
yah, chase can see my swa biz card even though it's not listed anywhere on my credit report.
webazoid is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread