FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   how accurate is credit sesame (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1290551-how-accurate-credit-sesame.html)

FAllWay Dec 12, 2011 8:36 pm

how accurate is credit sesame

I just signed up for free credit sesame account.
It looks like they give you Experian info?
How accurate is this to what Experian actually has?
Is this exactly the same?

drbobguy Dec 12, 2011 8:40 pm

The information that they list about your balances, age of accounts, etc. is straight off your Experian report, although they don't show you lots of the information that is there (I think credit pulls aren't listed for instance).

The score is using an algorithm based on that info that is separate from the actual FICO score used by most financial institutions. It's supposed to be pretty similar to FICO, although for me it has been off by up to 50 points.

FAllWay Dec 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by drbobguy (Post 17615354)
The information that they list about your balances, age of accounts, etc. is straight off your Experian report, although they don't show you lots of the information that is there (I think credit pulls aren't listed for instance).

The score is using an algorithm based on that info that is separate from the actual FICO score used by most financial institutions. It's supposed to be pretty similar to FICO, although for me it has been off by up to 50 points.

would you mind telling me if it was off by minus or positive your actual score?

perkunas Dec 13, 2011 6:31 am

CreditSesame is 36-points higher than my CreditKarma "TransRisk" score. Both are "Excellent."

In my estimation, both seem higher than they should be (although it has been 4 months since I checked my official scores).

LowFlyOver Dec 13, 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by perkunas (Post 17617150)
CreditSesame is 36-points higher than my CreditKarma "TransRisk" score. Both are "Excellent."

In my estimation, both seem higher than they should be (although it has been 4 months since I checked my official scores).

Interestingly, I have found about the opposite. I just received a Transunion report yesterday showing my score at 755 when CreditKarma lists it at 738 currently. My score on Quizzle within a week of a credit application was 762, and the actual Experian score was 789. I have a lot of new lines of credit, and I think that CreditKarma and Quizzle may be punishing me more for that than the actual scores. I also have a HELOC, and it may be that they treat the HELOC differently from the actual credit bureaus.

FAllWay Dec 13, 2011 8:33 am

I guess the best thing to do is just purchase an account on Myfico.com?

thetravelabstract Dec 13, 2011 8:42 am

The only way to get your real score is to pay for it. You can use CitiCards to monitor your credit or AmEx. You can buy straight from MyFICO or your VantageScore.

I think it is nice to know your exact credit score. More importantly I think it is good that you continuously monitor your credit score. keep track of its movements and make sure it stays at healthy levels.

You could buy the real thing but awareness is just as important.

superking Dec 13, 2011 9:22 am

You can't compare CreditSeasame to Credit Karma, one uses data from experian and the other uses data from Transunion. With that being said, my Credit Karma score was lower by 30-40 points compared with the real FICO.

FAllWay Dec 13, 2011 10:44 am

deleted

onthego15 Dec 13, 2011 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k (Post 17615329)
I just signed up for free credit sesame account.
It looks like they give you Experian info?
How accurate is this to what Experian actually has?
Is this exactly the same?

As of today, my Credit Sesame score is 14 points lower than my official Experian score.

If you have an AMEX, see if you can sign up for their Credit Secure service, first month was only $1 for me. I found it after logging into my AMEX account. It gave me all three scores and my full credit report. You can get your full report once a year for free at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
This Credit Secure report also gave me my 3 scores.

RapidTravelChai Dec 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Over the past 7 months that I have used Credit Sesame it has been higher than my official Experian by 80-100 points, oddly moving up and down roughly in lockstep with the official score but always inflated by this amount.

captaincool Dec 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai (Post 17640922)
Over the past 7 months that I have used Credit Sesame it has been higher than my official Experian by 80-100 points, oddly moving up and down roughly in lockstep with the official score but always inflated by this amount.

Same. It always makes me feel good to have an 800+ score though :D

jabtravel Jul 5, 2012 4:43 pm

Sesame pretty far off for us.

Creditsesame was way off for my wife. . .score reported on Sesame was 728. Actual Experian was 646, which was stated in a credit card rejection. :(
Going to try reconsideration

summerdayshopping Jul 5, 2012 7:13 pm

If they (Credit Sesame and Credit Karma) are so inaccurate plus not showing credit pull records, then why bother to signup these accounts? Or am I missing something?

CPRich Jul 5, 2012 10:29 pm

After getting my actual scores from myFico in December, creditsesame was 8 points higher, CreditKarma was 15 points lower, and Quizzle was 20 points low. All in the very high 700's.