Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Locations which do not accept "foreign" cards.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Locations which do not accept "foreign" cards.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by jamar
Something about region coding, I imagine.
Wiredzone is not selling movies. It's essentially a webshop for computer hardware. It would not explain why amex is treated differently either.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tripr
Wiredzone is not selling movies. It's essentially a webshop for computer hardware. It would not explain why amex is treated differently either.
I don't know why Wiredzone cares about the region the card was issued in.

But as to why Amex is treated differently:

It may be a loophole. Since Amex is totally separate network, it could be that it simply doesn't have the concept of a region, while Visa and MC do.

Thus a system that tries to limit credit cards to ones issued in a certain region may be able to do it with Visa and MC but might not be able to do it with Amex.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jamar
I pay for premium membership on NicoVideo
Hello, fellow Nico-chu!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't know why Wiredzone cares about the region the card was issued in.

But as to why Amex is treated differently:

It may be a loophole. Since Amex is totally separate network, it could be that it simply doesn't have the concept of a region, while Visa and MC do.

Thus a system that tries to limit credit cards to ones issued in a certain region may be able to do it with Visa and MC but might not be able to do it with Amex.
I think this may be it. AmEx has internal region coding for certain things, like MR redemptions (my dad's US-issued Plat is NOT able to redeem for Yodobashi Camera vouchers like Japan-issued ones can, for instance), but not for most things: for example, I was able to walk into AmEx's office in Tokyo and ask for a replacement for my own US-issued Costco AmEx (they printed the replacement on a Green card, though, since they don't have the Costco one in Japan). They didn't even charge me (Thank you, AmEx). And I can use it on other sites that are unable to take other foreign-issued cards.

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Hello, fellow Nico-chu!
Oh hey, you too? Never expected another FlyerTalker to be but it's nice to see, all the same!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.