Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

? re: Chase BA Visa Promo: 2.5 BA Miles Per $1 Spent thru 1/31/12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold

Hi all,

I just got a postcard in the mail for a Chase British Airways Visa bonus promotion. (Offer is non-transferrable, otherwise I'd share the promo code.)

I've read the T&Cs and am either very math challenged or the terms include a mistake.

Here are the details:

FOR A LIMITED TIME, EARN 2.5 BA MILES PER $1 ON ALL PURCHASES

Use your British Airways Visa Card from November 1 to January 31, 2012 and in addition to normally earning 2.5 BA miles for British Airways purchases, now earn 2.5 BA miles per $1 on all other purchases up to 10,000 Bonus BA Miles.1

The T&Cs then say...

1. The bonus offer only applies to net purchases made with your credit card during the promotional period. This bonus offer does not apply to purchases that earn more than 1.25 miles in the rewards program. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks after the last day of each month of the promotional period for bonus miles to post to your account. Maximum bonus mile accumulation during the promotional period is 10,000 bonus miles, which equates to $8,000 in net purchases. (emphasis is mine)

Okay, help me understand this. Wouldn't I only have to spend $4,000 to earn 10,000 bonus miles if the earn rate is 2.5 miles per $1 spent? I don't see where the $8,000 number is coming from in the T&Cs.

My husband got the same postcard but with a different bonus threshold. His card limits him to 5,000 bonus miles at 2.5 miles per $1 spent and his T&Cs says that equals $4,000 in net purchases.

Am I just bad at math or is Chase?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
You're earning 1.25 miles per dollar without the bonus. The bonus is also 1.25 miles per dollar. $8000 of spending at the bonus rate equals the 10000 bonus mile limit. For $8000 in spending, you'll earn 20000 miles (10000 as usual, 10000 bonus).

Halve those numbers and you've got your husband's earning rate.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
A-ha! That makes sense now! I totally missed the obvious. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.