Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Canadian Cards with no Foreign Transaction Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Cards with no Foreign Transaction Fees

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stingray300
HSBC Premier is offering a new world mastercard that gives a 2% rebate. That largely offsets the 2.5% charge they put on foreign transactions. For zero annual fee that's pretty good.
How is that any better than the Chase Amazon.ca card which has 0% FNF and 1% back in Amazon.ca credit?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: CX*GO, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by nabeelj
How is that any better than the Chase Amazon.ca card which has 0% FNF and 1% back in Amazon.ca credit?
Solely on the forex charge front, no it's not any better. The HSBC card does come with travel and purchase protection, if that matters.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: AP, MP
Originally Posted by somedude3210
It's great to see Chase bring in a card without forex fees. Even though I don't plan on getting that card, I'm hoping it'll spur other cc issuers to compete.

LOL, in fact it's opposite - Desajrdins jacked up their fee from 1.8 to 2.5%. Needless to say, I am getting Sears card !!!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:46 am

I just signed up for the Chase Amazon card for no forex fees. My Chase Marriott card is about to have its first anniversary and the annual fee is too steep. It's been a great card, I'll have gotten 2 free room nights from it and saved money on forex. The Amazon is 1% cashback with no annual fee, so not a bad forex free option while I wait to see if anything better comes along! There just aren't many of these no forex cards in Canada.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:04 am

I have a Sears Chase Mastercard, I use it all over europe. It has no foreign transition fees
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:28 pm

Most (all?) Chase Canada cards have no FTF. Nobody else except lousy no reward dumb annual fee US Visas by the major banks. The end.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:34 pm

No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards

Chase Canada offers several no foreign transaction fee credit cards. In addition to the Amazon Canada card mentioned above, if you're looking for a premium travel card, you can get the Chase Marriott Rewards card.

Last edited by philemer; Mar 13, 2014 at 7:01 pm
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Any Canadian Amex w/ no FTF?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Any Canadian Amex w/ no FTF?
Unfortunately not.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Unfortunately not.
;_; looks like Chase is the only game in town. And even then it looks uncertain now that it's ScotiaBank.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:42 pm

;_; looks like Chase is the only game in town. And even then it looks uncertain now that it's ScotiaBank.
Scotiabank only acquired the Sears Mastercards.

However, I did notice that the only card you can apply for with Chase right now is the Amazon.ca card. The Mariott Card is advertised but there is no option to apply for it. I hope the Amazon card doesn't go away because it's great for travelling and online purchases.

As for other Canadian cards with no foreign transaction fees there's the Rogers cashback card. They do however convert to USD first and you need to be a Rogers customer as the cashback rewards are applied to your Rogers bill. There is also an annual feel, which can be waived if you use the card for pre-authorized credit card payments on your Rogers bill.

Other option is the Tangerine Mastercard. It's a 1.5% fee, but it offers 2% cashback in select categories and 1% in all other categories. Also the Mastercard exchange rate tends to be more favourable compared to Visa. The Tangerine card is invite only at this time.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by B407

However, I did notice that the only card you can apply for with Chase right now is the Amazon.ca card. The Mariott Card is advertised but there is no option to apply for it. I hope the Amazon card doesn't go away because it's great for travelling and online purchases.
The Canadian Chase Marriott is dead!? I just successfully recon'd for it after having an application languish there for months because it was from a US IP address.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:59 pm

The Canadian Chase Marriott is dead!? I just successfully recon'd for it after having an application languish there for months because it was from a US IP address.
Not sure what's going on with it. I see it prominently advertised on the Chase Canada website but there's no option to apply for the card. The only card you can apply for is the Amazon one. I know for a fact that the Apply Now link used to be there and now it's gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chase Canada pulls out altogether once their contract with Amazon is over. They've lost contracts with major retailers to other competing banks and they've sold off the rest to other banks. Chase Canada is also really behind the curve with basic things. I'm shocked that you still can't paperless billing. They also mailed me a customer service survey from New York before which I thought was very antiquated.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:56 pm

Rogers MasterCard starts charging 2.5% f.c.t. fee 19/Oct/2016

Originally Posted by B407

As for other Canadian cards with no foreign transaction fees there's the Rogers cashback card. They do however convert to USD first and you need to be a Rogers customer as the cashback rewards are applied to your Rogers bill. There is also an annual feel, which can be waived if you use the card for pre-authorized credit card payments on your Rogers bill.

Other option is the Tangerine Mastercard. It's a 1.5% fee, but it offers 2% cashback in select categories and 1% in all other categories. Also the Mastercard exchange rate tends to be more favourable compared to Visa. The Tangerine card is invite only at this time.
Rogers Mastercard has just announced that it will start charging 2.5% foreign currency transaction fee with effect from October 19, 2016 "consistent with most other credit cards". Sigh.

However, they are increasing the cash back rewards to 4% on all purchases made in a foreign currency.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Rogers Mastercard has just announced that it will start charging 2.5% foreign currency transaction fee with effect from October 19, 2016 "consistent with most other credit cards". Sigh.

However, they are increasing the cash back rewards to 4% on all purchases made in a foreign currency.
Rogers announced that with effect from 23/5/2018, the cash back rewards on all purchases made in a foreign currency will reduce to 3%. Sigh.

(The FX fee remains unchanged at 2.5%.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.