Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Google Doc - Debit Cards Available with no Fees

Please refer to the Google doc and update as needed for the most comprehensive list of debit cards and their charges (or lack thereof)

Visa Exchange Rates

MasterCard Exchange Rates
Print Wikipost

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:38 pm

used my charles schwab atm (with emv chip).
agribank in vietnam. no foreign transaction fee and atm fee refunded.
japan post office and 7-11 in japan. no fee.
rates were better than currency exchange offices
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:14 pm

In Paris using Citigold debit at Bred bank atms with no fee. Have received 1 euro for 1.1336 usd over the past few days.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:28 pm

Hands down. 4 years of use in Asia - Any of Penfed credit cards (amex or visa) at 0.4% higher than bulk bank rates (xe.com) but with immediate interest of 10.24% (rate subject to credit score) that you payoff online the day it posts. That ends up just to a few cents if paid within a week. Now I just wish someone could tell me a prepaid reloadable debit with cash access at atms for minimum spend.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
For those with UNFCU checking accounts, they're going to refund up to $10/mo for ATM fees starting in January. They count the 1% FTF for ATM withdrawals (not sure if there is one for POS) as a fee too, so it'll effectively be 0% for at least the first few withdrawals in a month.

Another bonus: all of UNFCU's credit/debit cards are "true" chip and PIN, which means that you'll need to use the PIN for nearly every transaction. This saves on needing to carry a pen around with you like with nearly every other US card. ^

Joining also just requires a membership in UNA-USA, assuming you don't already have a connection to the UN.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by PackingIt
Has First Republic Bank been mentioned in this thread? They charge no fees to use their debit card at any ATM, and will reimburse all fees associated with using the card at ATMs. I've had no issues using the card in Central America and throughout Europe and parts of the Middle East.
Is it a chip-and-pin card?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TObject
Is it a chip-and-pin card?
Since the US is effectively a chip and signature country, that's highly unlikely (though possible). Especially since the debit card appears to be Visa branded and only mentions using a PIN at "places that accept PIN", the latter implying that only retailers that can route debit cards as debit will ask for it.

However, you may be able to use the debit card's PIN at unattended locations, much like the Schwab debit card.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:11 am

No international fee debit card?

Hi all,

Can someone can recommend a US debit card that has:
No international ATM fee.
No international transaction fee.
Reimburses surcharge fees of other institutions.

I know some banks don't charge a fee for other bank ATMs but the other bank does. So I was hoping if there was a way to avoid fees from both sides, and also avoid FTF?

Thanks.

Last edited by kayanco; Nov 1, 2017 at 7:24 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
What country do you live in?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For US residents, go with Charles Schwab. I've never had problems getting ATM fees reimbursed and it ticks all of your criteria.

That said, their card is a Visa card. Visa has slightly worse exchange rates than MC in general but the difference is usually small enough not to be a big deal for most.
choklit, hi55us, kayanco and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
What country do you live in?
Sorry I forgot to mention that.
United States.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Charles Schwab.
kayanco and mikesyr18 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
For US residents, go with Charles Schwab. I've never had problems getting ATM fees reimbursed and it ticks all of your criteria.

That said, their card is a Visa card. Visa has slightly worse exchange rates than MC in general but the difference is usually small enough not to be a big deal for most.
Thank you for the suggestion, you know your cards ^

Would you happen to know about the debit card from TD Bank, and how it compared to Charles Schwab's?

Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kayanco
Thank you for the suggestion, you know your cards ^

Would you happen to know about the debit card from TD Bank, and how it compared to Charles Schwab's?

Thanks.
I have no idea about TD Bank at all but I'm sure someone else on FT knows. ^
kayanco likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Charles Schwab.
Would you know how it compares to TD bank debit card (in terms of fees, reimbursement)?

Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by kayanco
Would you know how it compares to TD bank debit card (in terms of fees, reimbursement)?

Thanks.
As long as you have TD Premier there are no ATM fees and they reimburse the other banks fees. No FT fee for foreign debit card purchases.

I've had this account for years and never had any issues with fee reimbursement for ATM. I don't think I've actually made a foreign debit card purchase though.
kayanco likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.