Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Capital One Venture versus Southwest Plus/Premier Rapid Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
As a result of the change to the Schwab/FIA/BoA card, I am looking for a replacement. My primary card is the AMEX Blue Cash, so this is pretty much a backup for places that do not accept AMEX. I have narrowed it down to the Venture card and Southwest (--live in Nashville, so Southwest is a primary airline here). Any thoughts or opinions between these two? I did a search and haven't found any comparisons. Thanks as always.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think you will receive more useful replies if you mention how much you expect to spend on the VISA card.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I have recently been through the same choice myself. Debating whether or not I should go with southwest or the Venture card. I am going with the Venture only because I don't fly southwest all that often. The deciding factor was that I don't fly southwest very often, maybe 3 times a year tops.

If you only fly southwest a couple times a year then the redemption rate of a Venture card and southwest card come out roughly equal. If you fly with Southwest frequently you come out ahead using their card because of the double points on Southwest and hotel/car rental partner purchases you will earn free flights faster using their card than you would with the Venture.

So basically it depends. Do you fly southwest often or very little? If you fly Southwest often, get their branded card, if you fly them very little, get the Venture due to the flexibility of what rewards to redeem your points for.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses.

Mia, it would primarily be a backup to my Amex Blue Cash card, which I put the vast majority of spending on. So, probably around $15K a year. However, I may put much more of "Everyday" spending items on it if the return on the Visa is better than the 1.5% on the Blue Cash.

Dada, thank you, that is helpful. I typically fly Delta a lot, but really need to start using Southwest more because my last three flights with Delta have been awful. However, based on your post, I am thinking it may be better to be more flexible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.