Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of capital one leaving Barclay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA, DL
Question Thinking of capital one leaving Barclay

Unhappy that with my very high spend over 840 credit limit they would at least offer me the aviator silver card but no--getting red. So have been searching for a new card and am quite distressed studying them. Not concerned with the annual fee but do want a good point per $$ spend since I am a high spender. Have looked at Chase Sapphire and Capital One. As far as I can see Capital One doesn't hold you to just a handful of airlines as does Chase Sapphire. I have some many miles with US now which will go into AA I'd probably still like to keep that up. Ideas?? Am I missing a credit card I should have?? I don't carry a statement balance from month to month. Also looked at a Amex card that has lounge access. Sorry but I could really use some help. I don't want 10 different cards as I just like to use 1 or 2. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by liwarren
Unhappy that with my very high spend over 840 credit limit they would at least offer me the aviator silver card but no--getting red. So have been searching for a new card and am quite distressed studying them. Not concerned with the annual fee but do want a good point per $$ spend since I am a high spender. Have looked at Chase Sapphire and Capital One. As far as I can see Capital One doesn't hold you to just a handful of airlines as does Chase Sapphire. I have some many miles with US now which will go into AA I'd probably still like to keep that up. Ideas?? Am I missing a credit card I should have?? I don't carry a statement balance from month to month. Also looked at a Amex card that has lounge access. Sorry but I could really use some help. I don't want 10 different cards as I just like to use 1 or 2. Thanks in advance.
The part in bold isn't actually true. CSP earns Ultimate Reward points, which you can transfer to their list of partner airlines. But you also have the option of converting them to simple cashback at 100 points to $1. And this cash can be used for any type of statement credit, you aren't restricted to travel purchases like you are with Capital One. Additionally you can use UR points to book travel directly with Chase's portal, which earns you a 20% discount.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Credit score 840? Which score exactly?

Credit card depends on which airline/hotel you are planning to use. The "best" strategy will include more than one card.

You can always go for cash back too
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Cap One just gives you an offset you can use for any ticket purchase after the fact. I like it.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat

Cap 1 works essentially the same as Barc Arrival Plus without the 10% rebate. And cheaper AF when they charge it. I've had both cards. Cap much better cust svc experience and have had AF waived couple of times.

Barc was a real pain during last Euro trip (albeit they have chip and pin card). Kept rejecting charges and requiring calls. After 3 of them I gave up and used Cap without problems. Friends had similar experiences. Will not go back even with bonus. Also a pain during renewal tries... Full AF payment or nothing; no bonus offers to renew, changed stories. Had enough. Good luck!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by liwarren
If you allow disappointment over an impersonal decision to influence your choice of credit card issuers you will soon be paying for everything with currency. Every card issuer will eventually do something you do not like.

CapitalOne Miles are really just points with a fixed monetary redemption value. They cannot be transferred to any airline program. The number you need for a trip will be precisely determined by the current price of a ticket.

If you want to earn American Airlines AAdvantage miles you have three options:

Barclay's US Airways/Aviator card. As you know, Dividend Miles will soon be absorbed into AAdvantage. You will be able to keep your Barclays Aviator card if you have one, but they won't accept applications for new accounts. Think carefully before cancelling.

Citi AAdvantage cards. See the Citi forum: HERE

American Express Starwood Preferred Guest credit card. Starpoints are valuable even if you never set foot in a Starwood hotel because they can be transferred to more airline programs than any other card, the annual fee is lower than Barclays US Airways/Aviator, Chase Sapphire Preferred or Capital One Venture, and you earn a 5,000 mile bonus each time you transfer 20,000 Starpoints to AAdvantage.

Start here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I am very happy with both my Capital One card and my AMEX. I use the AMEX for 95% of purchases because it has better protections, the Capital One card is great if someone doesn't take AMEX (and it still offers a lot in terms of protection against fraud, returns, insurance, etc). Neither card charges foreign transaction fees. AMEX and Capital One both have really solid customer service and easy to use websites / apps.

Everyone seems to speak highly of the Chase Sapphire Preferred but I prefer the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold and don't want to pay multiple annual fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.