Top 7 cards August 2011

Old Aug 16, 2011, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Top 7 cards August 2011

The SPG and Citi Thank You offers expire soon. Here is the plan for a churn. [No AA cards because I can't see the value, even in 225k AA points]

1. CO One Pass Plus MasterCard - 25k for 1st spend
  2. UA Mileage Plus Explorer Visa - 25k for 1st spend
  3. AmEx Platinum - 50k for $1k in 3mos., bump 50k code 3882/5748 + 50k for 5 AU 5721
  4. Amex Premier Gold - 25k for $1k, bump 50k 5985/5894, 50k for 5 AU 5721
  5. Amex Business Gold - no pts, bump 50k for 5 AU 5721
  6. AmEx SPG Business - 10k 1st use, 20k for 4.5k in 3 mos
  7. Citi Thank You Premier - 50k for $2k in 3 mos.
Any points bonuses for the Amex Business Gold? Other improvements?

Thanks.

Last edited by mia; Aug 17, 2011 at 7:30 am Reason: Remove affiliate links
Old Aug 16, 2011, 3:48 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by sthubbar
The SPG and Citi Thank You offers expire soon. Here is the plan for a churn. [No AA cards because I can't see the value, even in 225k AA points]
Some people have been able to bump the Amex Biz Gold to 50K. My wife got targeted for 75K.

I thought the SPG was now at 30K, both personal and biz.

And finally...you don't see the value in 225K AA miles?? Did you get some bad chicken in your last meal with them or what?

Last edited by mia; Aug 16, 2011 at 10:07 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:07 am

Why go for the United and CO now? They're not churnable and the deal is only average, so I'm curious why you're going for those.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:19 am

Better off with the Chase Saphire Prefferred for 50k then the Continental/United card
There is a 100k bonus for the Business Gold and dont expect to get the 50k for AUs anymore- that is mostly dead

If you apply for so many amex cards dont be surprised if you get a financial review
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond; AA: Exec Plat
Originally Posted by thegasguru
I thought the SPG was now at 30K, both personal and biz.

OP has it right... 10k for first $ spent, 20k more upon completeing the required $4500 spend. But yes, it also applies to the SPG personal (assuming he/she already has that though).
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond; AA: Exec Plat
Originally Posted by robbiesam
If you apply for so many amex cards dont be surprised if you get a financial review
Yep. 4 in a day is probably not a fantastic idea. Would hit the most valuable 1 or 2 first... after that you're likely taking an unecessary risk (and waste of pulls).
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Is 5721 for AMEX AU's still alive? I thought that was dead unless you were a targeted Argentinian.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Top card offers are posted in MB! forum here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...er-thread.html
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Looks like the Citi Thank You Premier offer has truly expired. Still chance to get in on the 30k SPG.

Several people have warned about applying for too many AmEx cards at once, so maybe I'll just do the SPG Amex and then either the Platinum or Gold.

I'm starting to get persuaded that it might be worth taking a gamble on the AA cards, so this is the current list:

1) SPG Amex
2) Amex Platinum
3) AA #1
4) AA #2

Also people say not to waste the CO/UA since nothing special about current offer.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:19 pm

As someone else mentioned, I would also recommend adding the Chase Sapphire to your list. 50,000 is a nice bonus and points are transferable to Continental. You also get a 7% point dividend at the end of the year so it ends up being at least 53,500.

Holding off on the United card is a good idea but the Continental card will be dead by the end of the year if not sooner so it might be worth getting in on it while you still can even if it is only for 25,000.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have never had AMEX card before, you are guaranteed a Financial Review for applying 4 AMEX cards in short order.

You may or may not get away with 2 AMEX cards at one go, depends on how thick your credit file is.

If you have not have more than 2 - 3 US credit cards that are a few years old, dont be surprised to be turned down by many banks for "not sufficient satisfactory credit history" or some similar verbatim.

Besides if you dont have SSNs for all 5 AUs you plan to add - you may trigger FR as well if the AUs IDs could not be legitimately verified by AMEX via other means.

Finally, the 5721 code is DEAD. If you are lucky you may be able to add 6815 which requires $1K spent by the AU within 3 months after receiving the card for the same 10K bonus. That offer is for US cardholders as versus 5721 for the Argentines only.

Why in the world to apply the low offers of CO cards when you can get Sapphire for 50K which is 1 to 1 transfer to CO... (and the combined UA/CO program would very well have a major devaluation next year...)
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some people have been able to bump the Amex Biz Gold to 50K. My wife got targeted for 75K.
We both got the bumps to 75K. That was in late June.

And finally...you don't see the value in 225K AA miles?? Did you get some bad chicken in your last meal with them or what?
This is too funny a statement!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
You may or may not get away with 2 AMEX cards at one go, depends on how thick your credit file is.
Thanks for the advice. I think it is worth the risk for 2 cards. My credit file is thick enough and have had Amex cards for over 10 years

If you are lucky you may be able to add 6815 which requires $1K spent by the AU within 3 months after receiving the card for the same 10K bonus.
Awesome, didn't know about this code.

Why in the world to apply the low offers of CO cards when you can get Sapphire for 50K which is 1 to 1 transfer to CO...
Already have the Sapphire Preferred. Figure would get the CO for free baggage and save $200 plus get a few points.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Credit Card churn finished.

Applied for the following:

1) AA Visa - 75k - Approved
2) AA Amex - 75k - Approved
2) Amex Business Gold - 75k - Call Wednesday
3) Amex SPG Business - 30k - Call Wednesday
4) Citi Thank You Premier - 50k - waiting
5) CO One Pass - 25k + $50 credit - waiting

First time applying for business cards, so let's see what is the result of that.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

All approved, save for the Citi Thank You Premier, and that was because of the 2 AA Citi cards. No additional credit pull for that decline and can apply for it again in 60 days.

I classify this credit run a success.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.