Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
Bank of America Reconsideration phone numbers
1-888-663-6262 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)

877-665-5020, 877-261-3494 (Business apps to reach a person. Calling between 6 pm and 7 pm Eastern time may have shorter wait times.)

1-800-354-0401 (8-7pm EST M-F) STILL working for personal apps 9/25/17
1-877-721-9405 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)
from posts #113 and 122: 1-866-224-7803 (no longer active)
from post #92: 1-888-221-6262 (no longer active)

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Reconsideration?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest
I do not know what too many means to them, but they look beyond BOA for sure.
I'm not sure that's new though. Pretty sure almost all banks have a red line for too many apps, especially in the last 6 months. That's been 6/6 with Citi for years for 'regular' applicants, which they extend for more trusted clients. I've never been denied by Citi for 6/6, but I was denied for 11/6.

It seems to me there have been DPs now and then that B/A gets skittish with "too many recent apps", it's just that how many is too many is YMMV.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:28 am

I was denied for the Premium Rewards when it first came out in September, reason "you have enough credit cards with us." Reconsideration was not successful, but one of the reps did say I should wait for my previous two BoA credit cards to get to six months old before applying again. (The 2-month rule doesn't seem to apply to me, perhaps because I am a fairly new customer with BoA ...)

My only two personal BoA cards were approved in mid-May 2017, and the six month date is around November 20. What I'm wondering is if I should call reconsideration again after November 20, or wait until mid-December (90 days after my previous app) and submit a brand new app? Not sure which path has a higher chance of success. Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Confirmed that 1-800-354-0401 still works as of 10/16/2017.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:15 pm

Got Merrill on 9/28. Applied for Premium Rewards last week, denied because of frozen EX. Called recon today, pulled TU and denied because I got an offer in the past 90 days. Thought this was just for the same card?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:34 am

Applied for Premium Rewards on 11/21, instant denial. Had it reconsidered twice but still denied due to velocity. Specifically they mentioned 4 new accounts this year (these were opened with other banks in April, June, August & September). I was at 7/24, with 12 HP's on my experian report. This would have only been my second BOA personal card; the denial was definitely due to too many new accounts at other banks, and they also mentioned not enough investments with them or their partners (something like that). It's true I have zero dollars in BOA or Merrill Lynch.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:06 pm

I got denied for the Premium Rewards last night with online application. Just spoke to rep at reconsideration and she said it's due to too many new cards. I've had the Merrill card since 1990s, but no other card. So BOA is definitely denying based on my new cards with other issuers. I asked if they wanted to shift some credit from my Merrill card, but she said that would not help.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by DFW1972
I got denied for the Premium Rewards last night with online application. Just spoke to rep at reconsideration and she said it's due to too many new cards. I've had the Merrill card since 1990s, but no other card. So BOA is definitely denying based on my new cards with other issuers. I asked if they wanted to shift some credit from my Merrill card, but she said that would not help.
Thanks for telling us that. Yesterday I was 3/6 with EXP, which B/A always pulls for me. And I was 2/24 with B/A itself. So knowing that DP I decided to make my very next app the B/A $500 Travel Rewards card. Instantly approved for $21K. That was a surprise as I typically get @$5K on an Alaska card. So $500 cash, and $100 statement credit when I renew my Global Entry in a couple of months.

Should add that I've been whatever B/A calls their VIPs for around 5 years, so that probably did help with the Instant approval. So hard to figure out how to use the AS miles I already have for Premium travel (totally spoiled, having only flown FC for trans-oceanic long haul flights for the past 5 years). Not to mention rolling the dice on getting either a Sig or a Plat with an AS app. So I just decided to take the cash, thank you very much.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I'm not sure that's new though. Pretty sure almost all banks have a red line for too many apps, especially in the last 6 months. That's been 6/6 with Citi for years for 'regular' applicants, which they extend for more trusted clients. I've never been denied by Citi for 6/6, but I was denied for 11/6.

It seems to me there have been DPs now and then that B/A gets skittish with "too many recent apps", it's just that how many is too many is YMMV.
Originally Posted by DFW1972
Just spoke to rep at reconsideration and she said it's due to too many new cards. I've had the Merrill card since 1990s, but no other card. So BOA is definitely denying based on my new cards with other issuers. I asked if they wanted to shift some credit from my Merrill card, but she said that would not help.
CS > 715, 1st CC application with BoA for their cash rewards card.. stated declined due to 1. too many accounts opened recently and 2. no investments / balances with BoA or its affiliates.
So it seems they definitely look at accounts "opened" in the last x months and possibly also inquires in the last x months. I got 2 cards in Jan, but they are not yet on the credit reports from what I noticed.. I am 7/12.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
CS > 715, 1st CC application with BoA for their cash rewards card.. stated declined due to 1. too many accounts opened recently and 2. no investments / balances with BoA or its affiliates.
So it seems they definitely look at accounts "opened" in the last x months and possibly also inquires in the last x months. I got 2 cards in Jan, but they are not yet on the credit reports from what I noticed.. I am 7/12.
7/12 including the 2 new cards that don't show up on the CB yet, or 5/12 plus the 2 new accounts?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
7/12 including the 2 new cards that don't show up on the CB yet, or 5/12 plus the 2 new accounts?
5/12 + 2 new accounts
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:56 am

Applied for Premium card yesterday and was denied due to "too many recent accounts." The rep cited 7 accounts opened in the past 12 months. The last personal card I opened was Aug 11, so 6 months ago. I only have 1 BofA personal card open, the Merrill+, which was opened in Dec 2016. Has 2 BofA biz cards at time of app, now I have 3. Score in high 700s.

Any DPs from people approved for this card for how many accounts they had open in the prior 12 months? I'm curious what the highest number is.

Last edited by misterfahrenheit; Feb 22, 2018 at 10:02 am
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by misterfahrenheit
Applied for Premium card yesterday and was denied due to "too many recent accounts." The rep cited 7 accounts opened in the past 12 months. The last personal card I opened was Aug 11, so 6 months ago. I only have 1 BofA personal card open, the Merrill+, which was opened in Dec 2016. Has 2 BofA biz cards at time of app, now I have 3. Score in high 700s.

Any DPs from people approved for this card for how many accounts they had open in the prior 12 months? I'm curious what the highest number is.
Chase doesn't count its own business cards because it doesn't choose to.

Technically, any bank can count its own cards, whether they show up on credit reports or not. We don't know if BofA counts its own business cards or not. (Though if you can tell us if you only get to 7 if you add BofA business cards opened in the previous 12 months before that denial, to all the personal cards you opened anywhere in the previous 12 months, that might tell us!)

And business cards from a few banks (such as Capital One and Discover) do show up on credit reports, and thus do count toward Chase 5/24 and whatever BofA is counting.

There's nothing magical about business cards not counting for this or that. Business cards don't count if they don't show up on your credit report, because they didn't show up on your credit report. Business cards which do show up on your credit report do count (toward Chase's 5/24 and whatever BofA is counting).

So if you're applying for cards from a wide variety of banks, I suggest you not try to worry about what's business and what's personal (to do your count), but use something like the free Experian site or the free Experian app (which can sort by date opened, though separately for currently-open and currently-closed cards) and do the counting there.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 22, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:09 pm

I applied for the BoA Cash Rewards card after seeing a preapproval on their website.They declined and even recon did not agree stating I had opened 4 credit cards in last 6 months .
Credit score listed on the notice was 750.
Was wondering if it makes sense to call recon again in a few weeks once it becomes 3 cards in 6 months or should I just forget this application and the HP.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I applied for the BoA Cash Rewards card after seeing a preapproval on their website.They declined and even recon did not agree stating I had opened 4 credit cards in last 6 months .
Credit score listed on the notice was 750.
Was wondering if it makes sense to call recon again in a few weeks once it becomes 3 cards in 6 months or should I just forget this application and the HP.
I don't see what you can lose other than your time (and maybe your sanity? ) by calling for another recon on the same application in a month or so. Whether it'll do any good or not, I have no idea.

And it might make a good datapoint if nothing else! ("I was denied for opening 4 cards in the previous 6 months, and then I was <whiichevered> when it became 3 cards in the previous 6 months.)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't see what you can lose other than your time (and maybe your sanity? ) by calling for another recon on the same application in a month or so. Whether it'll do any good or not, I have no idea.

And it might make a good datapoint if nothing else! :) ("I was denied for opening 4 cards in the previous 6 months, and then I was <whiichevered> when it became 3 cards in the previous 6 months.)
will do this..So a reminder put for calling them near the end of 30 days..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.