Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
Bank of America Reconsideration phone numbers
1-888-663-6262 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)

877-665-5020, 877-261-3494 (Business apps to reach a person. Calling between 6 pm and 7 pm Eastern time may have shorter wait times.)

1-800-354-0401 (8-7pm EST M-F) STILL working for personal apps 9/25/17
1-877-721-9405 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)
from posts #113 and 122: 1-866-224-7803 (no longer active)
from post #92: 1-888-221-6262 (no longer active)

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Reconsideration?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:53 pm

Got denial for ML, called recon, was denied for too much credit already extended. Moved some around and was approved.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by pratee1234
what number did you dial do get recon on the line? It seems impossible to reach recon.
866-224-7803
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:11 pm

True?

Originally Posted by muji
Current data points suggest that Bank of America will no longer approve you for a personal Alaska Airlines card if you already have one open.

Is this accurate? No more churning of Alaska cards? Just cancelled 3 of them so I could do a few more, but this is disheartening!

Update - Over on the BofA Alaska thread now seeing the updates. Awful!

Last edited by yurch10; Mar 1, 2017 at 7:20 pm
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by yurch10
Is this accurate? No more churning of Alaska cards?...Awful!
It seems that the best we can do now is, after closing all Alaska personal accounts (not sure if Alaska business accounts are considered separate): apply for a new personal account, get the miles, close the account after a number of months (whatever you feel is best - maybe 5 months, maybe 8 months), then apply again - in this fashion getting the bonus miles about twice a year or so.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:19 pm

Applied for Alaska airlines personal credit card today and was denied due to "too many credit cards opened in the last year" (called 866-224-7803 as well). I guess all the major credit card companies are slowly joining the same protocol.

P
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by peterrudy
Applied for Alaska airlines personal credit card today and was denied due to "too many credit cards opened in the last year" (called 866-224-7803 as well). I guess all the major credit card companies are slowly joining the same protocol.

P
How many was that? Inquiring minds want to know....
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:42 pm

confirm 1-866-224-7803 as of 10min ago. Went $30k to $48k waiting on final approval for $80k (app resubmitted for secondary approval to supervisor, should hear back soon)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, BA
I applied for the Merrill+ card last week and got the denial letter yesterday for too many accounts/too much credit line (or something like that).

I have 2 AS personal visa, 1 AS biz visa and a BOA cash rewards visa(?). Last card was opened in November. Total credit limit around $60k. I also have a car loan through them.

I called the 866-224-7803 reconsideration line this morning.

I offered to close or reduce the credit lines on one of my other cards. The credit analyst pushed the application through and got an approval without closing or reducing lines on my other cards.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:52 am
rev

Originally Posted by bta15
I applied for the Merrill+ card last week and got the denial letter yesterday for too many accounts/too much credit line (or something like that).

I have 2 AS personal visa, 1 AS biz visa and a BOA cash rewards visa(?). Last card was opened in November. Total credit limit around $60k. I also have a car loan through them.

I called the 866-224-7803 reconsideration line this morning.

I offered to close or reduce the credit lines on one of my other cards. The credit analyst pushed the application through and got an approval without closing or reducing lines on my other cards.
That's strange, I just had exactly the opposite experience.

Yesterday I applied to a Merrill+ card first and it went to pending. Figured since BofA apps are combined, might as well go for an AS card too since I haven't been denied one of those yet (last AS app was 08/2017).

So I applied for the AS card right after and got approved instantly for a measly $1.7k limit, which at first I thought was odd because I only had one other card open with BofA that I lowered to a $5k limit months prior. So I did the 'duplicate' AS app method to attempt to get the Sig version, called in, and the rep closed the $1.7k app, re-ran the pending 'duplicate' app, and the new one was flat out denied! Reason: Maximum amount of credit has already been extended to you.

Considering I've had $20k+ extended to me in the past with BofA and was denied for having the 'max' at $5k, I wasn't sure what was wrong until I logged in this morning and saw my Merrill+ card was actually approved for a huge limit. My best guess is that it was actually approved momentarily after it went to pending, but even as I checked it's status throughout the rest of the day, the app-check system just hadn't updated as quickly.

So I called in a moment ago requesting to move part of my Merrill+ limit to the denied AS card for a Sig. After a long hold, the agent mentioned that he saw I had a conversation with another rep yesterday (the one that closed my first card and re-ran the second) and that she should have told me "we don't shift credit limits to turn denials into approvals".

What?

I've never actually heard a rep say they can't shift limits for this reason because as far as I know it's completely untrue...right? I thought he'd mention my other AS card being open was the reason, or they'd give the generic "too many recent accounts", so it kind of caught me off guard. I thought this would be an easy one...

What else is odd is that despite some people claiming you WILL get denied for another AS card if you have one open, I was in fact initially approved. Not for the one I wanted, but just a little asterisks to keep in mind there...

IMHO, I think this guy just didn't want to approve me because it seems they're cracking down on accounts having over one AS card and that was an easier out, but it seems that as time goes on, I've been getting more and more reps mentioning the notes they see on past calls I make anytime I call recon more than once (not just BofA), the more I'm less inclined to keep calling back.

Unless anyone has had a similar experience and pursued it differently with a better outcome. With all the new DPs, I'll probably close the old one, maybe give it another call in a couple weeks, and not hope for any spectacular news. Cost nothing to try, right? Either way, the best we can do now is close it, wait some time, and reapply hoping for instant approval.

Buuut since I got the Merrill+ and it was only one pull, it wasn't a total loss. ^

Last edited by rev; May 2, 2017 at 11:06 am Reason: clarify; grammar
Old May 4, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
@rev: call and try to reopen the first one and shift some CL to that. That has a better chance of working.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I recently applied for an Alaska Visa Signature card, as I'm trying to rack up Alaska miles. I was automatically approved for the card.

I figured that the minimum spend is low ($1k), so I'd go ahead and apply for a business version too. I applied and was rejected. I called them (1-800-354-0401) and was denied; called again and got an approval.

I figured I was on a roll and the hard pulls were free, so I applied for an Amtrak card. Automatically was denied, and got a firm no from the CSA on reconsideration due to too many recent inquiries. HUCA, and the CSA gave me another firm no, explicitly citing that I was approved for two other cards recently and three seemed like too many.

I waited 3 weeks, and decided, what the hell, I should call again and see what happens. The agent took down all of my application information again -- income, savings, assets, etc. -- and then put me on hold for over 20 minutes (!). She came back and congratulated me on my new approval!

Just goes to show you that persistence definitely pays off -- and apparently waiting a week or three before recon can help too.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by morphogencc
I recently applied for an Alaska Visa Signature card, as I'm trying to rack up Alaska miles. I was automatically approved for the card.

I figured that the minimum spend is low ($1k), so I'd go ahead and apply for a business version too. I applied and was rejected. I called them (1-800-354-0401) and was denied; called again and got an approval.

I figured I was on a roll and the hard pulls were free, so I applied for an Amtrak card. Automatically was denied, and got a firm no from the CSA on reconsideration due to too many recent inquiries. HUCA, and the CSA gave me another firm no, explicitly citing that I was approved for two other cards recently and three seemed like too many.

I waited 3 weeks, and decided, what the hell, I should call again and see what happens. The agent took down all of my application information again -- income, savings, assets, etc. -- and then put me on hold for over 20 minutes (!). She came back and congratulated me on my new approval!

Just goes to show you that persistence definitely pays off -- and apparently waiting a week or three before recon can help too.
Nice! Several years ago I once got a Chase BA card approved on my 4th recon call. Nowaday I don't usually have enough patience for more than 1 or 2 haha.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:37 pm

I just tried two recon calls with BoA using different numbers noted above. Both were polite (as I was) but firms that despite my excellent credit score I would not be getting another card at this time due to too many recent inquiries. I suggested splitting the credit line with my current Cash Rewards card but that was a no-go as well.

And this was for a BoA MLB card - one that some in the past bragged about getting up to a dozen approved in a day! Apparently BoA has tightened up their process significantly, whether they are concerned with extending too much credit or handing out too many bonuses.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jrbdmb
I just tried two recon calls with BoA using different numbers noted above. Both were polite (as I was) but firms that despite my excellent credit score I would not be getting another card at this time due to too many recent inquiries. I suggested splitting the credit line with my current Cash Rewards card but that was a no-go as well.

And this was for a BoA MLB card - one that some in the past bragged about getting up to a dozen approved in a day! Apparently BoA has tightened up their process significantly, whether they are concerned with extending too much credit or handing out too many bonuses.
How many hard pulls have you had in the last year or so?

Has anyone else been rejected by BofA for too many recent inquiries?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
How many hard pulls have you had in the last year or so?

Has anyone else been rejected by BofA for too many recent inquiries?
One with BoA (got TR and CR the same day), and two other non-BoA cards within the last three months. Not sure if the BoA MLB app resulted in a hard pull as well. Both reps seemed to think that three new BoA cards within a bit over a month was too much - I may try again in August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.