Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
Bank of America Reconsideration phone numbers
1-888-663-6262 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)

877-665-5020, 877-261-3494 (Business apps to reach a person. Calling between 6 pm and 7 pm Eastern time may have shorter wait times.)

1-800-354-0401 (8-7pm EST M-F) STILL working for personal apps 9/25/17
1-877-721-9405 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)
from posts #113 and 122: 1-866-224-7803 (no longer active)
from post #92: 1-888-221-6262 (no longer active)

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Reconsideration?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
No one here got declined by BoA recently? So I called BoA Recon and asked about my application. They said they cannot reallocate credit from my existing account to help open the Asiana card. Furthermore, I have 6 inquiries in 2019 and a total of 13 inquiries in 2 years. Is this a lot? I don't have an installment loan because I don't need a loan. Even though I don't have any late payments and my bills are always paid in full, I'm still denied. I don't have a lot of deposits in my BoA chequing account because it doesn't make any sense to deposit a lot of money into an account that accrue almost no interest...So what do I do now? Apparently the decision stand and I'm not sure how to move forward on this.
You need to wait to the snail mail letter to find out the reason for the decline. IMHO it's a waste of time to try to figure out what else to do without that information.

Is that total inquiries across the 3 bureaus, or the number of inquiries on whichever bureau that BofA pulled? If BofA only pulled one bureau, all that matters is the inquires on that bureau, not the total inquiries across the 3 bureaus.

Meanwhile, do you need $10k CL on your Travel Rewards card? At BofA, it's prudent to reduce the CL on a new card to as little as you need (to stay below 30% of the CL on any expected future purchases), because BofA can take many many months to free up CL from an old card to be available for new applications. That's the way to make CL available to new applications at BofA.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 2, 2020 at 10:45 pm
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You need to wait to the snail mail letter to find out the reason for the decline. IMHO it's a waste of time to try to figure out what else to do without that information.

Is that total inquiries across the 3 bureaus, or the number of inquiries on whichever bureau that BofA pulled? If BofA only pulled one bureau, all that matters is the inquires on that bureau, not the total inquiries across the 3 bureaus.

Meanwhile, do you need $10k CL on your Travel Rewards card? At BofA, it's prudent to reduce the CL on a new card to as little as you need (to stay below 30% of the CL on any expected future purchases), because BofA can take many many months to free up CL from an old card to be available for new applications. That's the way to make CL available to new applications at BofA.
To be clear, the Reconsideration rep told me I have 13 inquiries, lack of installment loan, and lack of significant deposits in my bank account. Are you telling me the letter will be more clear and concise as to what I need to do to get this application approved?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....letter will be more clear and concise as to what I need to do to get this application approved?
No, the letter will tell you why the application was rejected. You cannot change the number of inquiries or retroactively create other types of activity on your credit report(s). Sounds as if you should take a year off opening credit cards and use what you have.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
No, the letter will tell you why the application was rejected. You cannot change the number of inquiries or retroactively create other types of activity on your credit report(s). Sounds as if you should take a year off opening credit cards and use what you have.
Oh? It sounds like you have experience on this. I thought the reasons that the reconsideration rep outlined were official.

Do you think I have a lot of inquiries? It seems like lots of people churn. I think 13 inquiries over 2 years ain't that bad right? At the end of the day, I did paid all of my bills on time and don't keep any balances. I just don't get it.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:11 am

Oh? It sounds like you have experience on this. I thought the reasons that the reconsideration rep outlined were official.

Do you think I have a lot of inquiries? It seems like lots of people churn. I think 13 inquiries over 2 years ain't that bad right? At the end of the day, I did paid all of my bills on time and don't keep any balances. I just don't get it.
13 over 2 years sounds like a lot in my personal opinion. Were they all credit cardss? Were they all opened/some rejected?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drew in the air
13 over 2 years sounds like a lot in my personal opinion. Were they all credit cardss? Were they all opened/some rejected?
No. Some are charge cards from AMEX. I think all were ultimately approved cuz I also dealt with Chase reconsideration. I thought you guys got more than 13 inquiries over 2 years. I'm averaging less than 10 per year.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be clear, the Reconsideration rep told me I have 13 inquiries, lack of installment loan, and lack of significant deposits in my bank account. Are you telling me the letter will be more clear and concise as to what I need to do to get this application approved?
13 inquiries on one bureau (which is presumably what they told you) is a lot in today's world at several banks. Now, perhaps you are unlucky enough to have every single card pull the same bureau, but still. Someone who isn't doing MS and doesn't have a lot of business expenses is not likely to be able to necessarily do the minimum spend on that many cards a year while still earning category bonuses on cards they already have.

I have only about 7 inquiries on 1 bureau and 1 or 2 inquiries on another bureau (0 on the third), and I've been churning several cards (most with higher spend requirements) a year still. But then at least 1 application was for an Amex card where they did not do a hard pull at all (as they often don't for longtime Amex cardholders), so I probably applied for one or two cards more in the past 2 years than my inquiries total shows. (I've been churning almost solely business cards, so my N/24 count is well below 5, despite all those inquiries.)
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
13 inquiries on one bureau (which is presumably what they told you) is a lot in today's world at several banks. Now, perhaps you are unlucky enough to have every single card pull the same bureau, but still. Someone who isn't doing MS and doesn't have a lot of business expenses is not likely to be able to necessarily do the minimum spend on that many cards a year while still earning category bonuses on cards they already have.

I have only about 7 inquiries on 1 bureau and 1 or 2 inquiries on another bureau (0 on the third), and I've been churning several cards (most with higher spend requirements) a year still. But then at least 1 application was for an Amex card where they did not do a hard pull at all (as they often don't for longtime Amex cardholders), so I probably applied for one or two cards more in the past 2 years than my inquiries total shows. (I've been churning almost solely business cards, so my N/24 count is well below 5, despite all those inquiries.)
I don't know what else to tell you. That's what the rep told me over the phone. I guess I'm locked out of Bank of America then. Oh well. I don't think I can go through 2020 without a new app since I got a card lineup in mind. I guess I'll try other banks then.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; DL Gold; UA Silver; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
I don't know what else to tell you. That's what the rep told me over the phone. I guess I'm locked out of Bank of America then. Oh well. I don't think I can go through 2020 without a new app since I got a card lineup in mind. I guess I'll try other banks then.
can confirm that 0401 is the only valid number left for personal recon.

similar situation, they pulled my experian and said i had 8 inquiries (7 of which are biz cards, majority chase) over last 2 years.. even if i called in to say these are all business credit cards.. they will still say 1) too short of relationship with BOA. only 1 alaska card from 6 months ago. 2) no deposits or other accounts with them. apparently they are very big on relationship to open cc
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:22 pm

Anyone can reach to an agent with business recon line? Called 877-665-5020 and it always said temporary unavailable all the time for a week every time I call.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:54 pm

Help to reach someone in Alaska Visa Credit Department

Can someone provide a valid phone number of Alaska Visa "Credit Department" or "Recon Department" that I can talk to someone.
My online application on Alaska Visa Signature credit card have been declined and wish to speak with credit department or similar department to seek recourse. Instead of waiting for the letter to arrive in 7-30 days to give me the reason etc.,
I have tried several numbers in the last hour with no luck reaching anyone.
Appreciate any help you can provide.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In the USA, Alaska Airlines cards are issued by Bank of America. Look at this thread:

Bank of America Reconsideration?

If you applied for the Canadian card, start here" https://www.mbna.ca/en/contact-us/complaint
Old Sep 21, 2022, 12:43 pm

Thank you for your link.
Will keep you post if I can contact someone in "Recon Dept." on my Declined US Alaska Signature Visa application.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:50 pm

I have managed to contact someone in BOA Credit Department through 866-570-1603.
Actually 866-570-1603 is Small Business Line however a nice gentleman kindly successfully transferred me to the "Credit Department ".
Once I got to speak with someone there, everything is so smooth just to identify myself with my BOA Travel card number, then asked me to hold for a few minutes.
Come back after 2 minutes and said I'm being approved without further question.
Total time it take is less than 7 minutes for the whole process.

Appreciate the support from MIE.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:51 pm

Sorry I have misspelled your name MIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.