Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by mia
I read this to mean the RFID will not support Tap & PIN.

Yet in the linked article the Chase executive refers to Chip & Signature. The chip may be PIN compatible, but it certainly sounds as if Chase is not intending to use it.
We will just need to wait and see, I suppose. I just came from an industry gathering in which two people from the major manufacturers insisted that the Chase cards were to be fully EMV compliant with chip/pin, despite comments implying otherwise. Only the US Bank product is meant to be contactless NFC. Unless these people are in error I suspect the executive comments are meant to reassure US customers that signature can still work, using the magstripe just as all the US legacy cards do.

That said, there are conflicting reports on the Chase product from industry sources too. nearly all of them do say EMV, though, and EMV does not exist without the pin. Without the pin the chip serves no real purpose.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:39 pm

I can confirm that USB is now starting is issue these cards, I received one today. The advert enclosed said Chip+Sig, and you only need a PIN if you're planning on withdrawing cash (ATM trans). I did call USB to request a PIN, as I travel in Europe quite a bit and don't want to be left without that option. I've used C+P cards extensively, as I have a few Sterling accounts with HSBC International. Without question this is quite an improvement over mag only. Also, Visa International rules specifically state that all retailers MUST accept mag only cards (maybe automated stations not?), I reported Toys R Us in the UK for refusing to accept my Dollar mag AMEX. Visa Europe wrote me back and confirmed this, but said it's a problem. Somewhat ironic considering Toys R Us is a US firm.

Originally Posted by kebosabi
And another bank adds to the list of growing American financial institutions adding EMV, this time US Bank:

U.S. Bank First in United States to Issue Dual EMV Chip and Contactless Payment Solution for International Travelers

Especially to note is: "The new U.S. Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa® credit card combines Visa payWave, EMV chip, and magnetic stripe technologies, enabling customers to have the best experience possible wherever they use their cards."

I applaud them for also going the extra mile by adding contactless feature to the card as well. Mag-stripe+contactless+EMV! ^
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: QR Plat, NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
Confirming that JPMorgan/Chase are now issuing EMV cards for eligible products. Requested mine today, so should have them this week. Will finally be able to confirm if it's Chip+Sig or Chip+PIN.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gekko
Confirming that JPMorgan/Chase are now issuing EMV cards for eligible products. Requested mine today, so should have them this week. Will finally be able to confirm if it's Chip+Sig or Chip+PIN.
Do you know which Chase cards can be requested as EMV cards?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: QR Plat, NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
No idea, I have a JPMorgan issued card, so I suggest you call customer service to see if your card is supported. My best guess is that the Sapphire Preferred and cards with no foreign transaction fee will be next up.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Regarding the C+P pin issue: issuers could just set the pin to be 0000 and leave it at that. Or just print it on the card! It's really no less secure than a sig.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Chase seems to be uping US Bank's ante by offering a no forex fee chipped card that earns rewards which will be announced tomorrow

Going on vacation? Pack the right credit card

The newest option comes from Chase. The bank on Friday plans to announce its new J.P. Morgan Select card, which is designed for those who travel overseas regularly. Chase says it will be the first national launch of a credit card with chip technology by a major U.S. bank.

The card has a $95 annual fee, so you'll need to consider whether the benefits are worth it. In addition to other travel perks such as roadside assistance and emergency medical coverage, cardholders earn 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and 1 point for every $1 on all other spending.

The card also doesn't charge a fee for every transaction that takes place abroad, which is common for most credit cards.
So now we have two rewards cards, one at a low $49 annual fee but comes with contactless, but the downside being it has forex fees, versus one that costs $95 in annual fees but has no forex fees.

Seems like competition is heating up.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jun 16, 2011 at 9:54 am
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:24 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I'm definitely interested in hearing more details about the new card from JPM.

The only thing is that the JPMorgan Select Card seems to be an existing product that is currently only available for certain JPMorgan clients:

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_n...visa_signature

I wonder if they will be opening this up to the general public?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dw
...only available for certain JPMorgan clients:
Despite what it says in the big print if you click the [Apply] link it appears anyone can apply.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mia
Despite what it says in the big print if you click the [Apply] link it appears anyone can apply.
Interestingly, while the main page shows a blank brown card, when you hit apply, it jumps to a link which shows a blank brown card with an EMV chip.

Maybe the webpage is still under construction?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:20 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The page for the JPM Select card is now down, so it looks like they may be re-doing it for a revamp of the card tomorrow.

The features of the JPM Select card seem fairly similar to the Sapphire Preferred card (it would appear that both accrue Ultimate Rewards points, and both have a $95 annual fee and no forex fees), so I wonder why Chase wouldn't just go ahead and add a EMV chip to the Sapphire Preferred product?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by dw
The page for the JPM Select card is now down, so it looks like they may be re-doing it for a revamp of the card tomorrow.

The features of the JPM Select card seem fairly similar to the Sapphire Preferred card (it would appear that both accrue Ultimate Rewards points, and both have a $95 annual fee and no forex fees), so I wonder why Chase wouldn't just go ahead and add a EMV chip to the Sapphire Preferred product?
I am sure they will. They are having problems getting enough emv card production from the manufacturers, so the rollout is slow. Besides they are staging the additional costs also.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Though spoken of yesterday, the JP Morgan Select card seems to be officially "live" and accepting applicants today
Chase Card Services Adds EMV Chip Technology to Its J.P. Morgan Select Visa Signature Card

Link to Select card's info and application form now shows a chipped VISA signature card: https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?...h90&msc=&affid
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Mannnnn I'd like to have this Card before a European trip in September, but Chase is already pissed at me about applying for the United Card in Jan and BA Card in April. Just got denied the Sapphire this week! I guess I'll try again in Late July or early August for this card.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Link to Select card's info and application form now shows a chipped VISA signature card:
Note that Chase still refers to chip-and-signature, not Chip & PIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.