Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

How long to hold new cc before canceling?

How long to hold new cc before canceling?

Old May 15, 2011, 8:06 pm

Thanks for the people who mentioned that closed cards count just as much as open cards regarding length of credit history. I'm 29 and carry a card from 1996 and 2000 as my long standing accounts that are the foundation to my length of history. I think because of this, the new cards, whether open or closed now, aren't dinging me as much as some people I know.
Old May 15, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
closed cards to count for your average age but closed accounts will drop off your report after (i think) 10 years of being closed so i wouldn't count on them as a long-term average raiser...
Old May 15, 2011, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by TTBHG
I just looked at credit karma for the first time. I am assuming it is only a soft pull, correct? It makes a point of telling you it is a credit pull so it made me wonder.
Correct - Credit Karma is a soft pull (as is any system where you pull your own credit report, such as through the annual credit reporting system and Quizzle).
Old May 15, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA, CO, AA, USAir
very interesting

Learned something new from this thread today. The standard advice is always to keep your oldest credit cards open, which I assumed meant that only the open accounts count, but now I realized it means you'll still have your oldest cards show up 10 years from now. It strikes me how far-reaching the consequences of churning are, then: if you are starting churning right now, basicallly, that means you are really doing yourself a disservice if you are planning any major purchases in the relatively near future, say 3 years from now. If you have been a churner 7-8 years ago, and stopped completely 5 years ago, that really helps your score. I thought one should stop applying for new ccs 2 years before taking out a mortgage or refinancing, so that you do not have many inquiries on your report, but turns out you have to plan it like 7 years ahead to get the best deal. Of course, if you start early, new applications will not have that much weight on your history, so it's not as important. Thanks for clarifying all this!
Old May 16, 2011, 8:33 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
At least 6 months for Chase. I would keep open for 11 months. Chase tends to pull back miles if closed before 6 months. Keep the account open and if Chase denies for "too many requests or accounts with us" (don't recall exact language), call the recon # in the letter and request that some of the credit line of a open Chase card be moved to new card).

Spouse applied for 2 cards this past March & got denied for 1. Called recon # and would not reallocate credit line but would close open account & give new card its credit line. (Example: 17K line on no annual fee UA card: Offer to move 10K to new card. If unsuccessful, then offer to close UA card & open new card with its credit line).

Chase is usually one time bonus per card. (UA, CO, Hyatt, BA, etc).

For AA Citi, check the 75K AA thread. It seems that the personal can be churned every 18 months or so--YMMV. The Business maybe every 90 days. Citi don't seem to pull back miles if card is cancelled.

One thing one could do is to be an authorized user on a spouse's (or parent, child with same address) credit card. That should boast one's credit score. Works well if it is old accounts (10-20+ yrs old) with positive history (no negatives!), low utilization (low balances relative to credit line) and open. My spouse has a couple retail cards opened more than 25 yrs ago & I plan to be added as an authorized user and it should increase my "average age of credit". Before FICO 08, people would get credit score increases paying strangers with positive history & old accounts to add their name as an authorized user to their accounts. FICO 08 stopped those kind of abuses where one has now to have the same address (parent, child or spouse for example) can still benefit from the authorized user status. Maybe having a parent's address as a previous address may work. Current address works as the credit bureaus will populate your report with their history as an authorized user on their accounts.

Read the credit threads on www.creditboards.com/forums for more information about the authorized user info described above. Very interesting bulletin board.

Sorry for long writeup.
Old May 16, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Preferred, SPG Gold
NooBie Question-
I have jumped on a bunch of these promotions starting with the 75K Citi a while back. I have had my Delta Amex card open since 1996 (in college) and in the last 12 months opened Citi, CO, SPG, Hilton, Cap One, BA and AMEX Hilton and Plantinum-all while having a wife scream at me as she reaped these benefits. In the meantime, I have since financed a new house and leased a car while keeping my credit score above 750 (it was over 800 a year ago).

I have no desire for any non-AMEX cards, except the Cap one card. Do you recommend I start cancelling these cards after 6 months of activity in the hopes of future churning (which I prefer) or start shelling out the annual fees to maintain my credit score? The only major financing I plan on doing in the next 7 years is a new car. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:40 am

very nice summary.
When add an authorized user, Chase doesn't ask for authorized user's SSN. How to make sure the card will appear on the authorized user's credit report?
Originally Posted by chemist661
At least 6 months for Chase. I would keep open for 11 months. Chase tends to pull back miles if closed before 6 months. Keep the account open and if Chase denies for "too many requests or accounts with us" (don't recall exact language), call the recon # in the letter and request that some of the credit line of a open Chase card be moved to new card).

Spouse applied for 2 cards this past March & got denied for 1. Called recon # and would not reallocate credit line but would close open account & give new card its credit line. (Example: 17K line on no annual fee UA card: Offer to move 10K to new card. If unsuccessful, then offer to close UA card & open new card with its credit line).

For AA Citi, check the 75K AA thread. It seems that the personal can be churned every 18 months or so--YMMV. The Business maybe every 90 days. Citi don't seem to pull back miles if card is cancelled.

One thing one could do is to be an authorized user on a spouse's (or parent, child with same address) credit card. That should boast one's credit score. Works well if it is old accounts (10-20+ yrs old) with positive history (no negatives!), low utilization (low balances relative to credit line) and open. My spouse has a couple retail cards opened more than 25 yrs ago & I plan to be added as an authorized user and it should increase my "average age of credit". Before FICO 08, people would get credit score increases paying strangers with positive history & old accounts to add their name as an authorized user to their accounts. FICO 08 stopped those kind of abuses where one has now to have the same address (parent, child or spouse for example) can still benefit from the authorized user status. Maybe having a parent's address as a previous address may work. Current address works as the credit bureaus will populate your report with their history as an authorized user on their accounts.

Read the credit threads on www.creditboards.com/forums for more information about the authorized user info described above. Very interesting bulletin board.

Sorry for long writeup.
Old May 16, 2011, 2:21 pm

This is actually why I asked the question to begin with. I had since gotten my answer from the credit boards and directly from FICO, but it was nice to see confirmation here.

For me, who will be buying a house in the next 3-4 years... I needed to know the effect on beginning the life of the cards now. Ultimately I still think I will be okay opening a few, but I calculated that if i open 4 cards this year... how my average life would be over time.

2 cards (8 and 4), starting average of 6 years. Opening 4 cards this year means that...

1yr: ((8+4+1+1+1+1)/6) = 2.66
2yr: ((9+5+2+2+2+2)/6) = 3.66 etc etc
3yr: 4.66
4yr: 5.66

So in roughly 4 years I will have the same average age of life I have today, regardless of if I close them or keep them open.

If I only open 2, then my AAoA will go to 3.5 immediately. Thus I can see what my credit score in 2 years, if i were to open 4 cards (assuming all other variables stay the same) They won't, because I will have a higher utilization, but it still should give me an idea. This way I can actually check my score in a few months with the 2 cards open that I have, and see where everything falls.

If it dips a lot, i won't push it. I will stop opening cards now. From what I understand a 760 fico is basically the highest point that matters. Beyond that you are in the highest rate bracket anyway. I don't plan to toe that line, but I know I want to stay above it... and keep a margin

of course this all goes out the window after 10 years. But in 10 the cards i will have kept the whole time will be so old that it won't matter as much anyway.

Originally Posted by Fevsi
Learned something new from this thread today. The standard advice is always to keep your oldest credit cards open, which I assumed meant that only the open accounts count, but now I realized it means you'll still have your oldest cards show up 10 years from now. It strikes me how far-reaching the consequences of churning are, then: if you are starting churning right now, basicallly, that means you are really doing yourself a disservice if you are planning any major purchases in the relatively near future, say 3 years from now. If you have been a churner 7-8 years ago, and stopped completely 5 years ago, that really helps your score. I thought one should stop applying for new ccs 2 years before taking out a mortgage or refinancing, so that you do not have many inquiries on your report, but turns out you have to plan it like 7 years ahead to get the best deal. Of course, if you start early, new applications will not have that much weight on your history, so it's not as important. Thanks for clarifying all this!
Old May 17, 2011, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by tripaddict
Great idea - found the link on gov't sponsored website.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
I know you can get free copy of your credit report from each of the 3 agencies, but how do you find out your actual Fico score?
Old May 17, 2011, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by chemist661

Is that once per lifetime? So if someone (*ahem like me ahem*) gets the 100K BA miles from this go around, closes account in 11 months, and Chase offers a 500K BA card 5 years from now (hey, you never know) they're out of luck?
Old May 17, 2011, 8:18 am

From reading and speculation... people are saying Chase goes back anywhere from 18-24 months. Again, all speculation.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:04 pm

I found this thread very informative as I was led to believe that the average age of account balances was of only OPEN accounts. Having read that in a couple articles I found about card churning. Not denying what is being said here as I feel it is accurate but can anyone help answer why on CreditKarma (i know not the most reliable sole source of info buttt...) in the Credit Report Card section one of the categories is clearly referenced "Average Age of OPEN Credit Lines"? This is one of the factors that is being used in the CreditKarma calculation.

Thanks
Old May 17, 2011, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by ATekk
I found this thread very informative as I was led to believe that the average age of account balances was of only OPEN accounts. Having read that in a couple articles I found about card churning. Not denying what is being said here as I feel it is accurate but can anyone help answer why on CreditKarma (i know not the most reliable sole source of info buttt...) in the Credit Report Card section one of the categories is clearly referenced "Average Age of OPEN Credit Lines"? This is one of the factors that is being used in the CreditKarma calculation.

Thanks
I guess my question is based around the commonly accepted opinion that closing your oldest credit account would hurt your credit score through hurting your average age of credit. If it included all accounts both open and closed (taking into account the 10 years mentioned for closed accounts) then it would seem like closing accounts irregardless of age would have no impact on Avg Age for at least 7-12 years?
Old May 23, 2011, 11:54 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
you either pay for it when you get your free report or you sign up for a trial of a monitoring app and make sure you cancel before you get charged or you apply for a credit card and ask them what your score was once you're approved.

Originally Posted by Ftusa
I know you can get free copy of your credit report from each of the 3 agencies, but how do you find out your actual Fico score?
Old May 24, 2011, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Spiffster
you either pay for it when you get your free report or you sign up for a trial of a monitoring app and make sure you cancel before you get charged or you apply for a credit card and ask them what your score was once you're approved.
No. There are a few Credit Unions that give out a free fico score monthly to members, but in general unless your scores come from myfico then they are NOT fico scores.

The scores you get from credit monitoring services are only slightly more useful than if your neighbor assigned you a credit score. They have some value for immediately noting a change in your credit file and comparing month to month, but are NOT used by lenders. Again, if you want your EQ and TU fico scores, www.myfico.com. Experian fico scores are not available for consumer purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.