Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Buy and refund air tickets to achieve minimum spend?

Buy and refund air tickets to achieve minimum spend?

Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA Companion Pass, IHG Platinum
Exclamation Buy and refund air tickets to achieve minimum spend?

-----

Last edited by Plizatnum; Mar 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm Reason: Acct deleted
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Beware!

Originally Posted by Plizatnum

Just purchase refundable plane tickets (w/AA or with any airline).
Then, after you've reached your $4K, and your bonus miles have been dumped into your AA account, cancel the tickets. (All major US airlines offer 100% refundable tickets, by the way).
Either way - you're 75K miles richer, and it cost you next to nothing!
Be very careful while doing this. I am aware of one of my friends doing it and it triggered adverse action. Citi closed all his accounts and has further declined to issue any new cards.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by gv111
Be very careful while doing this. I am aware of one of my friends doing it and it triggered adverse action. Citi closed all his accounts and has further declined to issue any new cards.
I second that. I had a friend who attempted this and he also faced similar consequences. In retrospect, he could have bought the refundable ticket to meet the spend requirements within a short time but he should have made full effort to cover it up in subsequent months before closing that account.

Don't try to take Citi or for that matter any CC issuing bank for a ride.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

------

Last edited by Plizatnum; Mar 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm Reason: Acct deleted
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plizatnum
Ditch the coin idea... That is so 2008!

Just purchase refundable plane tickets (w/AA or with any airline). Make your departure and destination for somewhere like from small town in the USA to some large city in the UK or Japan, and book them to travel during a busy month. The more expensive your ticket is - the quicker you'll get to your $4K threshold. (Or just book multiple refundable tickets). Then, after you've reached your $4K, and your bonus miles have been dumped into your AA account, cancel the tickets. (All major US airlines offer 100% refundable tickets, by the way).
You're missing the point about the coins. It's that the entity that gives the refund (the bank where you depoist the coins) has nothing do with the entity that did the original sale, so it does not show up as cancelled card transaction. It's money you recycle.

How is buying refundable tickest and then cancelling them different from buying something expsenive and then returning for a refund?

Both are "tricks" that people have long since tried doing (do you really think you were first one to discover this?!?!?!?), often with awful results (far worse than just losing the bonus you were trying for).

The whole reason that people jumped on coins is because the redeposit is "inviisible" to the card and the airline program. OTOH refunds always have to go back to the original payment source, so they're extremely visible to Citi. Citi has "red flags" set up for refunds that magically seem to match the fulfillment of the minimum spend requirement. And, in turn, AA and Citi have a tight relationship, so if Citi feels you defrauded the prmotion, they'll notify AA. I hope this is your first 75k you were going for, because you could rsik everything you have at AA!

If you want to find something that replaces coins, it has to something where what you buy you get the full value back somewhere else, to create the same "invisibility" that depositing coins at a bank gives you.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

-----

Last edited by Plizatnum; Mar 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm Reason: Acct deleted

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.