Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23
Read thru the merger FAQ's on the Barclay's website. They updated them yesterday. It doesn't appear that the USMC benefits will be in jeopardy in the near future.
Where is the FAQ? I can't find it, thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by Nick92
Where is the FAQ? I can't find it, thanks.
Log into your USMC account. There is a dark blue box that says "Merger News" on the right side of the page. Can't miss it.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:13 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by relangford
Are there different benefits depending upon when you got the card?
Yes, it depends on the exact link you used to sign up.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:18 am

..............double post

Last edited by oyouno; Dec 12, 2013 at 3:24 am
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:23 am

Can you book an award flight and then use the companion pass so a friend travels for 99?

Haven't used a companion pass before but I think I got one from this card.

Also, if you buy a first class ticket, will your companion fly first class as well? for 99?

I will be applying for a 2nd card very soon.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by oyouno
- Can you book an award flight and then use the companion pass so a friend travels for 99?
- Also, if you buy a first class ticket, will your companion fly first class as well? for 99?
No to both, unfortunately. The Companion certificate is "valid for roundtrip, coach-class travel", and the primary ticket must be purchased with your USAirways MC. I've put a link at the bottom of the wiki that contains the thread about the Companion Certs. Having said that, I find a lot of value in the certs for our family of three.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by relangford
My Barclays US Mastercard doesn't say anything about 10k anniversary miles (and I had to pay the first year's $89 fee). All it says is the 10k conversion to Perferred Miles, but I won't make that spending amount. Are there different benefits depending upon when you got the card?
I'm in the same boat. I applied for my first US-BMC on a flight back from ThxGvng. Subsequently received the card in Dec 2012 along with 40K miles, $99 companion, zone 2, etc. I don't think there was mention of a 10K anniversary bonus but I'm hoping I'll see something this month before I close it down. Also, just applied for my 2nd US-BMC last night and received instant approval (12 months from my first app).

Unfortunately, I did the 40K again because I didn't catch the 35K link (w/ waived fee) on this thread. When i called BMC to ask if I could switch to the other incentive program, the response was "no" but they did tell me to call back after the $89 fee posts and they may remove it. I also applied for the CitiAA MC last night and was approved for that. 50K miles, zone 1 boarding, first free bag blows BMC out of the water. My understanding is that while Citi will likely continue as the AA bank and BC will probably go away, the miles we have will not be lost and when they eventually merge the freq flyer programs in 2015, we retain all the miles.

Now is def the time to scoop up a BMC. If the companion ticket benefits go away this year, at least you got 40K miles for $89. Not a bad price to pay for a free ticket somewhere.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Hello all,

Had card in 2006 and 2007 - would love to get a mileage boost in the upcoming year before DM and AAdvantage is merged. Am I right in guessing that I could receive at least 25-30K bonus miles for getting this card again?

Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I have been in Barclay's no second US card list. Has anyone been successful in getting out of it? I still have the BOA US card - will closing it help?

Last edited by UA Fan; Dec 13, 2013 at 11:19 am
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
How long since the first card?
First card was in March
How much spend was put on first card?
roughly 5k with no spend for the past 3-4 months
How many recent hard pulls (esp on the bureau Barclay pulls from)?
none
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:18 am

Data points:

I applied in July, got approved for the world mastercard and got initial bonus by spending a few dollars. I only used the card once. At the end of October received offer (via both email and regular mail) for 15k bonus by spending $751 in Nov, Dec and Jan .

Wife applied in August. She was only approved for the platinum card, but the bonus amount was the same. She got the 15k bonus offer in late Nov for Dec, Jan, Feb spending.

Seems like the
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by MauiKauaiOahu
1st card - 5/2013, 10K limit
I haven't been back here for a few months, and so when I saw that some had been able to open a 2nd card, I thought I would try it.

2nd card - 11/2013, 15K limit
Saw the error on the website, but then logged in and saw the additional card.
Thanks!

I will report back on the second 35K miles in a month or so.
Datapoint:
The statement on my 2nd card closed yesterday, and the 35k miles posted today.

And if I can remember the questions from the last few weeks:
I had two citi inquires (one July, one August) and a chase inquiry (Oct) before I got the 2nd Barclays card in Nov.
They all show up under Experian. I don't know what bureau Barclays uses. (too lazy to google it now)

Very little spend on 1st card, less than $50, over 3 months.

Last edited by MauiKauaiOahu; Dec 13, 2013 at 2:26 pm
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Wow, decided to apply for this card on a whim and got auto-approved.

I opened my first US Air card (and first with Barclays) in March 2013.
I applied for an Arrival Card in June 2013 and was rejected (too many new accounts).

Easy 35,000 miles (and maybe another 10,000, who knows what'll happen to this card in the next year) for $1 of spend!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Does anyone think that Barclay bank grants instant approval quicker on lesser bonus cards even though one has many cards opened already?

Reason I ask is I had Princess in 2012 then Choice Hotels also in 2012 AND Wyndham , added USair Feb 2013 but had to call in and cancel one card..(Wyndham)and then applied for World Arrival and got denied in Sept 2013.

At that time last year I had acquired 6 before getting the USair

Instant approval for Princess & Choice & Wyndham but had to call in for USair

I know that they are looking at my many accounts opened in the last 12 mos not just 6 mos when I was denied for the World Arrival.

Looking to apply again for USAir and hesitant to do so since Sept I got 2 more cards.
First Bank LaQuinta & Freedom Chase.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:41 pm

Wanted to ask a few quick questions as I don't remember if they were asked before.
I already have the US Airway card since Feb 2013 and decided in Aug 2013 to go for card #2 as it was already 6mts since last app. Was not immediate approved and then got rejection notice for the usual already have the card. Was ready to cancel card 1 but decided to hang on to it until Feb to get the 10k anniversary bonus. Now hearing rumors from bloggers that changes could come as early as Jan and may no longer offer the US Air card. Thinking of applying for the card again now in Dec. but it's only been 4 mths since my last rejected app. Is it too soon to apply again? Data, other than the rejected app. I don't have any other inquiries since June and July when I went for the Citi AA platinum cards.

Also have anyone notice any patterns as to when during the week it's best to apply or whether it seems better to apply during the night or daytime or weekends, this is just out of curiosity for best chance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.