Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:11 am

Wait, Mr honu was approved for the World MC today, and I took it to mean the World Premier MC, since it didn't say Platinum. Are you saying that there is a third MC, not Platinum, not World Premier, but just World? And what's the bonus for that?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: UA, AA
How Available are Flights Using US Air Miles???

I am thinking about applying for this card but wonder about ease of booking with their miles. I have never flown US Air but since they are a *Alliance partner with CO, I might consider getting this card.
Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by honu
Wait, Mr honu was approved for the World MC today, and I took it to mean the World Premier MC, since it didn't say Platinum. Are you saying that there is a third MC, not Platinum, not World Premier, but just World? And what's the bonus for that?
I was wondering that myself. I'm pretty sure my approval said World MC. I printed it out but all I got was a blank page so I can't go back and verify. But I am positive the picture they showed was the Premier World MC. This page shows there is a World MC but who knows what that involves.

http://www.mostmiles.com/
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:49 am

This is the wording from the email for my "premier" card:

Congratulations! You’ve been approved for the US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard.

Use your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard to earn Dividend Miles* toward future travel on US Airways or with one of 25 airline partners. As a cardmember, you will receive the following benefits:

Annual companion certificate redeemable for up to two $99 companion tickets
Redeem award travel for 5,000 less miles — award travel starts at just 20,000 miles for cardmembers
First Class check-in and Zone 2 Boarding
One complimentary US Airways Club® day pass annually
Earn 10,000 Miles towards your preferred status, when you spend $25,000 during the calendar year
Your miles can be combined with miles earned with over 150 partners. Visit dividendmiles.com for more details.
Miles can be redeemed to over 900 destinations worldwide with 25 airline partners, including Star Alliance™ member airlines.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by GamecockFan
I was wondering that myself. I'm pretty sure my approval said World MC. I printed it out but all I got was a blank page so I can't go back and verify. But I am positive the picture they showed was the Premier World MC. This page shows there is a World MC but who knows what that involves.

http://www.mostmiles.com/
WT....???

Looking at the link you provided it evident there is a third card as two are clearly shown [the Premier World MasterCard (Annual fee $89) and the World MasterCard (Annual fee $49)], and the third (Platinum Card) is referred to in the footnotes:
In order to be approved for a Premier World MasterCard or World MasterCard and all of the benefits featured here, you must meet the credit and income criteria previously established for this offer. If you do not qualify, we will automatically consider you for a Platinum card which offers fewer benefits and a lower annual fee.
Bonus Miles: Premier World MasterCard Cardmembers will receive 12,500 bonus miles and World and Platinum Cardmembers will receive 5,000 bonus miles after the first use of your account for a Purchase or Balance Transfer (that are not later returned or rescinded) and have paid the Annual Fee on the account (and such fee is not rescinded).
Clearly of course this is a different promotion, but it does show that three levels of US Airways cards clearly exist.

I do have a screenshot of my approval page and it says "Congratulations, you have been approved for your US Airways World MasterCard with a Revolving Credit Line of $xx,xxx.xx". Yet the card illustration accompanying the approval is clearly a Premier World MasterCard as it clearly states on the upper right corner of the card "Premier World".

Since the promotion under which I applied for the card had no stipulation for being given a "World MasterCard" (as it did for a "Platinum Card") if one is turned down for the "Premier World MasterCard", I will assume that I have been approved for the Premier World MasterCard.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by Jane361
I am thinking about applying for this card but wonder about ease of booking with their miles. I have never flown US Air but since they are a *Alliance partner with CO, I might consider getting this card.
Thanks!
Best way to check is to check. I went to US site and checked availability out of DCA (and PHL) and was surprised how easy but DCA is mostly US. The best bargains are the off-peaks on US with the cc, 30K to Europe or Rio RT, 20K to Carribean. There were plenty of those cheap seats available in the off-peak months.

I understand the anger at the bait & switch tho.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by DoubleJ
I do have a screenshot of my approval page and it says "Congratulations, you have been approved for your US Airways World MasterCard with a Revolving Credit Line of $xx,xxx.xx". Yet the card illustration accompanying the approval is clearly a Premier World MasterCard as it clearly states on the upper right corner of the card "Premier World".

Since the promotion under which I applied for the card had no stipulation for being given a "World MasterCard" (as it did for a "Platinum Card") if one is turned down for the "Premier World MasterCard", I will assume that I have been approved for the Premier World MasterCard.
That's what I was assuming too... but I guess we'll see when the card arrives.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by GamecockFan
That's what I was assuming too... but I guess we'll see when the card arrives.
After looking at the various promo pages, my online account, online T&Cs, various reviews of the cards, etc. I've come to the conclusion that the Premier World Card and the World Card are just two versions of the same card. In other words they are equally-ranked approval-wise, the only difference being those that want to pay a larger annual fee for a few more benefits can choose the Premier World Card, and those that want to pay less for less can choose the World Card. This would explain why we received materials referring to just the World Card as this is the generic term for both. In addition, this would explain why the "next rank down" for both cards on the differing promos is the Platinum Card. But as you say, in the end, we'll see when the card actually arrives...
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:49 pm

What a mess!

I got approved for the Platinum Card, and called up Barclays asking why they did so, and that I wanted to Premier Card with the 35k bonus. I spoke to two people including a supervisor, and they said they could not give me the 35k. I've also sent an email, we'll see what that happens.

To those of you who are in a similar situation - what are you planning to do? If you cancel the card now - does it affect your credit? The 10k is of no use to me. Also, would I be unable to apply for future US Airways cards since I canceled now? I wonder why they created such a complicated mess. It'd be easier if they rejected people for the card they applied for!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

If you got card and have any expired miles reinstate them for free.

I told them I understood this applied to all expired miles even though I haven't flown US since 2001. Got this in response (and 25K expired miles):

Thank you for contacting US Airways.

Miles are permanently deleted after 36 months of inactivity, and our
records indicate your last activity was 2001. However, due to the
misinformation you received, we have granted a one-time exception and
reinstated your purged miles. Please be advised no further exceptions
will be made.
No further exceptions for me, but for you...
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:29 pm

Update : Wife and I received Platinum card. Called twice and e-mailed a few times. No luck. Planing on cancelling as soon as the miles post. Not much to do with 10K miles. Magazines? Newspapers? Don't want too much junk laying around. Doesn't seem like US Air has many other options.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
If you got card and have any expired miles reinstate them for free.

I told them I understood this applied to all expired miles even though I haven't flown US since 2001. Got this in response (and 25K expired miles):

No further exceptions for me, but for you...

wonder if united would do that as well??
Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by travisair
Update : Wife and I received Platinum card. Called twice and e-mailed a few times. No luck. Planing on cancelling as soon as the miles post. Not much to do with 10K miles. Magazines? Newspapers? Don't want too much junk laying around. Doesn't seem like US Air has many other options.
Well, if you're willing to read through 160000 gadzillion FT posts; and if you're up to booking cheap Days Inn hotel rooms for no shows where you wouldn't want to set foot in real life; and spend a bit of money here and there for unneeded restaurant.com certs and SuperShuttle reservations and the like, and if (and that's the big IF) US offers their Grand Slam promo again this year, you might be able to round up your totals to get you some usable miles for a decent *A single zone award... As always, YMMV...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travisair
US today announced 50% discount on mileage purchases:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...buymiles.html?

Works out to $13.25 per 1000.

Also you get additional 1K for using the toolbar (use a browser you seldom use).

If you have BofA you can get US debit card for $30 which gives 3K and 1mile/$2.

Don't know if 5K reward discount applies to platinum but with it rewards RT start at 20K. Unfortunately US doesn't have one-ways yet.

I'd certainly call and try to get credit limit up to Premier.

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 16, 2011 at 9:46 am
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
What a bunch of morons

So, figured I'd jump on this deal, applied and was approved online. Not my first miles cc, and won't be my last, and I've never had issues getting approved for the "higher" level cc's (visa signature etc).

Then, I get an email talking about 1 $149 companion ticket, no mention of world premium etc. OK, time to call them and ask what's going on (yes, I know they approved me for the cheaper plat card, but doing so and not telling me at all? Not good enough).

First customer service, some waiting (and this is the number on the online CC portal BTW). They tell me to talk to application services. OK, more waiting. They tell me I have to talk to customer service (!). OK, I'll still being polite, so I call them again (they couldnt even transfer me back).
Customer service tells me I need to talk to application service, I politely tell them I already did that. She gets a super, and now the message is that I have to call the bank, they couldnt help me at all. And it was obvious that she didnt care at ALL - none of them did.

At that point, I politely asked her to cancel the card. That's an hour of my life and a credit check I'll never see again. Yeah, I know, I probably lost some miles on it, but I wasnt going to actually have any type business relationship with a company like this.

So, as always YMMV, that was my experience.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.