Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by TheAJ
Does anyone remember how long it takes to get your companion pass and your free club pass? I got my card about two months ago, but I can't remember at all if I have them and I'm wondering if I might have accidently thrown them away.
I just got the card 3 weeks ago and the companion pass and other stuff showed up in the mail over the weekend.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:47 am

Pretty sure I got mine about a month after receiving the card. It was a big folded piece of paper, not something small.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
For those that successfully applied recently, did you use the link in the OP in this thread? Is that link still legit?
Old May 15, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by Travel22
For those that successfully applied recently, did you use the link in the OP in this thread? Is that link still legit?
I used the link in the newsletter from US Airways. Not sure about the link in OP
Old May 16, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Had to submit my application over the phone because the application website could not identify my zip code. Weird. Anyway, the rep was nice and helpful. Received a $12.5k limit - I am assuming that is the Premier World version of the card.

Any data points on how long from application approval to card in the mail box?
Old May 16, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: A3 Gold, WN CP, etc.
Beware of the reconsideration line if you've been churning

BAD news here. I hope you all can learn from my unfortunate experience.

Yesterday I applied for a new US Airways MC 7 months after my last one. This would have been my 4th one in about 2 years.

I got decision pending, so I called the reconsideration line like I have every time, the day after my application. After 10 minutes on hold, I was informed that not only was I rejected, but they were going to forcefully close my other card because I had so many new accounts opened in the last 6 months. I realized the gravity of the situation, decided not to argue about their decision, and I asked if I could pre-empt this and cancel on my own volition so that it wouldn't damage my credit score as much as a "closed by lender" hit. But I was told the account was already shut down immediately.

The one good thing is that when I asked about the miles I had already earned, I was told they would stay with US Airways, safe and sound. But I'm still very nervous and thinking about burning them...quickly.

Does anyone have any idea what this will do to my credit report / score? Has this happened to anyone else? How worried should I be about clawback for my miles?

So, folks, the take-away lessons are:
1) Close your other card before you apply for the new churn.
2) You can play with Barclays, take 'em to the house a few times with the churning, but if you overdo it, they will snap back at you.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: A few
i have a couple of cards that were closed by lender. i just re-fi'd a huge mortgage and two car loans without any issues. closed by lender is of no real significance. while the experience you had is a bad data point for those of us looking to churn, i'd take a chill pill on the impact to your credit
Old May 16, 2012, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
i have a couple of cards that were closed by lender. i just re-fi'd a huge mortgage and two car loans without any issues. closed by lender is of no real significance. while the experience you had is a bad data point for those of us looking to churn, i'd take a chill pill on the impact to your credit
Ok, that's really good to know... thanks for the reply!
Old May 16, 2012, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by SanFranMcG

Yesterday I applied for a new US Airways MC 7 months after my last one. This would have been my 4th one in about 2 years.
Are the first two still open? If not, when did you close them?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
Old May 16, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA

2) You can play with Barclays, take 'em to the house a few times with the churning, but if you overdo it, they will snap back at you.
Also did you use the cards for anything more than the initial spend requirement to get the bonus?
Old May 16, 2012, 5:42 pm

I got decision pending, so I called the reconsideration line like I have every time, the day after my application. After 10 minutes on hold, I was informed that not only was I rejected, but they were going to forcefully close my other card because I had so many new accounts opened in the last 6 months. I realized the gravity of the situation, decided not to argue about their decision, and I asked if I could pre-empt this and cancel on my own volition so that it wouldn't damage my credit score as much as a "closed by lender" hit. But I was told the account was already shut down immediately.

The one good thing is that when I asked about the miles I had already earned, I was told they would stay with US Airways, safe and sound. But I'm still very nervous and thinking about burning them...quickly.

Does anyone have any idea what this will do to my credit report / score? Has this happened to anyone else? How worried should I be about clawback for my miles?

I have opened a heap of cards since I applied and was approved for my first card. Last month or so I applied for a second card, called reconsideration and was denied, but my account was not closed. This week I got an email telling me that my credit limit had been raised from $6k to $9k. How weird!?
Old May 17, 2012, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
Also did you use the cards for anything more than the initial spend requirement to get the bonus?
First 2 cards were closed in late 2011.

I always use each of my cards about every other month to show some continuous activity.
Old May 17, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
First 2 cards were closed in late 2011.

I always use each of my cards about every other month to show some continuous activity.
Interesting. And unfortunate. Thanks for the follow-up.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:33 pm

The effect is exactly the same as if it were closed by you. Nothing to be concerned about. Also I would not be at all worried about clawback of miles. Once they are in your DM account, they are safe. Some people keep mentioning a "6 month rule" but Chase is the only one I've seen that has put such a rule in their T&C.

Edit:
Found this in the T&C for this offer. So if you churn this card, then maybe your miles aren't safe...

New Account Bonuses and Awards: From time to time, Barclays may offer bonuses or awards of mileage credit or other premiums (for example, First Use Miles, First Use Certificates, and Promotional Companion Tickets) to new US Airways MasterCard Cardmembers. Unless otherwise stated in the offer, these bonuses and /or awards are intended for persons who are not, and have not previously been, US Airways MasterCard Cardmembers. You understand and agree that, unless otherwise stated, if this is your first US Airways MasterCard Account, once you become a Cardmember you are no longer eligible to receive these bonuses and/or awards for any new US Airways MasterCard account you open after this Account is opened. If this is not your first US Airways MasterCard Account, you may not be eligible for these bonuses and/or awards. If you receive a bonus or award for which you are not eligible, Barclays may direct US Airways to revoke the bonus or award, or reduce your mileage credit by the amount of the award, or charge your account for the fair value of the bonus or award, at our option.

Last edited by samdori; May 17, 2012 at 7:47 pm Reason: added information from T&C
Old May 18, 2012, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Sarbanes
I applied, and got instant approval for the Platinum Card - only a 10k bonus, and not a card I'd want.

Any way to get them to adjust me to the 35k? Or undo the hard pull? Kind of a bummer...
I've been kinda scanning some of the posts and am assuming there is more than one offer out there.

I applied two days ago for the Barclays World Premier 40K + 10K annual miles. If I'm not approved for the World Premier, no big deal either because I'll cheerfully accept the Platinum card with the same miles benefits (40K + 10K annual).

Here's the T&C's for the World Premier and Platinum cards:

Bonus Miles: Premier World MasterCard Cardmembers will receive 40,000 bonus miles and Platinum Cardmembers will receive 40,000 bonus miles after first use of your account for a Purchase or Balance Transfer (that are not later returned or rescinded). Bonus miles will be sent to US Airways at the close of your billing statement after you make your first Purchase or Balance Transfer. Balance Transfer Checks do not qualify for bonus miles. First Year Bonus and Bonus Anniversary Miles: Cardmembers will receive ten thousand (10,000) Anniversary Miles at the close of the first billing statement after the first anniversary of account opening and each subsequent account opening anniversary. Balance Transfer Bonus Miles: Cardmembers will earn one (1) mile per one dollar ($1) in balances transferred to your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard requested in the first 90 days after account opening, up to a maximum of ten thousand (10,000) miles. The Balance Transfer is subject to the Balance Transfer Fee set forth in the Terms and Conditions. Earning Miles: Premier World MasterCard Cardmembers will earn two (2) miles per one dollar ($1) spent on US Airways purchases and one (1) mile per one dollar ($1) spent on all other purchases. Platinum MasterCard Cardmembers will earn two (2) miles per one dollar ($1) spent on US Airways purchases and one (1) mile per one dollar ($1) spent on all other purchases. See Terms and Conditions for complete details.

I can't seem to find the reconsideration line. Can somebody direct me to page or post#, or, better yet, the tel #? I would like to speed up, if possible, the 7-10 day on-line "review" process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.