Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:18 pm

It seems that depending on your luck you either easily get a second card or get told NO. This is an ultimate YMMV senario.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:59 pm

I got a second card. I waited for the denial letter and then called in and got the reconsideration line. I got grilled pretty hard about why I wanted two. I have a pretty good history on my card, which I've had for years and keep to get the 10k EQM if I need them.

I said that this new card offers a benefit my existing card doesn't -- the 10k each anniversary. I said that I e-mailed Barclays to try to get them to add that benefit and they wouldn't but said I could try to apply for the new card. All of this, as it turned out, was true. After a few more questions, she offered me the option of closing my first card or moving some credit. I took the latter. Once I get the bonus, I'll probably cancel the first card. She was really skeptical, but I kept returning to the 10k and saying that if Barclays had just added that benefit to my first card I wouldn't have had to apply but now that I'd applied I wanted the card. (Basically, that was the gist; I don't recall it all exactly.)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:01 am

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
So I screwed up and applied and got approved for another of the US Airways/Barclays 30K miles offer.

Does any one have any experience getting Barclays to bump up the bonus to 40K?

I tried to ask the CSR but I don't think he quite understood what I was getting at and mumbled something about the bonus being tied to the card I applied for. I tried pointing out to him that the card I got approved for (Premier World Mastercard) was the same as the one offered with the 40K bonus (everything else appearing to be the same), but to no avail.

Should I just bite the bullet and take the 30K and reapply for the 40K one in 90 days? Or is there a change I might be able to get the extra 10K once I activate the card?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by HmmDonuts
So I screwed up and applied and got approved for another of the US Airways/Barclays 30K miles offer.

Does any one have any experience getting Barclays to bump up the bonus to 40K?

I tried to ask the CSR but I don't think he quite understood what I was getting at and mumbled something about the bonus being tied to the card I applied for. I tried pointing out to him that the card I got approved for (Premier World Mastercard) was the same as the one offered with the 40K bonus (everything else appearing to be the same), but to no avail.

Should I just bite the bullet and take the 30K and reapply for the 40K one in 90 days? Or is there a change I might be able to get the extra 10K once I activate the card?
They will never ever bump or match an offer.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nitro888
Don't know how you guys are getting the second card but I was turned down today. Infact they said specifically that they have a policy with US Airways that they will only issue 1 card/bonus per customer.
Yeah, it is actually their policy to have only 1 card bonus per customer. I read the terms and conditions and it pretty clearly says that they only give 1 bonus. Moreover, they explicitly say that they reserve the right to adjust or charge the account for the value of the bonus, if I recall correctly. I was surprised when I read it.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by bluto
Yeah, it is actually their policy to have only 1 card bonus per customer. I read the terms and conditions and it pretty clearly says that they only give 1 bonus. Moreover, they explicitly say that they reserve the right to adjust or charge the account for the value of the bonus, if I recall correctly. I was surprised when I read it.
Having a stated policy and enforcing it are related but different things. So far it seems like they haven't been implementing it. Things seems to be changing recently so it might be good to hear recent experiences in this regard.

Last edited by gv111; Jan 13, 2012 at 9:18 am
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:37 am

Instant approval using the link in the 1st post. Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by bluto
I would think this would be particularly important to USAirways, considering the other benefits you get with this card -- club entry, $99 vouchers, and ability to earn 10k EQM with $25k spend. I would think US wouldn't really want folks getting multiple cards.

But in my experience, Barclays really isn't nearly as sophisticated about things as Chase and Amex. Their customer service people don't really seem all that up to speed on rewards issues. For what it's worth, they actually encouraged me to apply for the second card. My stated reason for wanting it was not the 40k, but the 10k anniversary bonus each year, because I've held the card for many years. But that's what they told me.

I think this is a YMMV situation. We'll just have to see.

Last edited by lkar; Jan 13, 2012 at 1:44 pm
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:12 am

I just received this email.

You can already earn miles for every purchase with your newUS Airways Dividend Miles® MasterCard®. And with this special offer, your card is now more rewarding than ever. Earn 15,000 bonus miles when you spend over $1,250 in new purchases each month in February, March and April.ą
And here is the fine print / exact terms:

ą Offer is valid for select cardmembers and is not transferable. You will earn 15,000 bonus miles after you charge over $1,250 in net retail purchases (purchases that are not returned or rescinded) each month from February 1, 2012 through April 30, 2012. If you do not spend over $1,250 in any of the 3 months of the promotion, you will not be eligible for any bonus miles as part of this offer. To receive your bonus miles, your account must be open and in good standing. Purchases made during periods when your account is delinquent, your balance exceeds your credit line or your account is otherwise not in good standing as defined in your Credit Card Cardmember Agreement do not qualify for this offer. Your bonus miles will appear on your statement up to 6-8 weeks after the end of the promotion. Net retail purchases do not include such things as the purchase of money orders, traveler's checks, foreign currency, lottery tickets, gambling chips, wire transfers, person-to-person money transfers or using the account to obtain a cash advance.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by infamousdx
I just received this email.

And here is the fine print / exact terms:
Yeah, I've been hoping for that email for months. Nearly everyone has been targeted for it except my friend and I.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:55 am

i hope i get targeted.. that's an awesome deal tbh
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by RobertNC
i hope i get targeted.. that's an awesome deal tbh
I hate how Barclays will not do any bumping, adding, etc to your account. If you are not targeted there is exactly nothing to do to have the promotion added to the account!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by keirnna
I hate how Barclays will not do any bumping, adding, etc to your account. If you are not targeted there is exactly nothing to do to have the promotion added to the account!
I think it's absurd that they are offering a card that now has 10k on every anniversary, but if you've been a loyal cardholder for many years, paying the $89 fee each year and putting spend on the card to get the EQM from USAirways, they won't add the 10k feature to the card.

They actually encouraged me instead to apply for the new card, and I just got the 40k bonus on it. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I think the bottom line with barclays is that they are only a very modest dabbler in credit cards in the US and are relatively rinky dinky in their operations compared to the big boys.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:01 am

When you spend $25k in a year do you get 25k bonus miles + 10k EQM miles for a total of 35k miles or do you get 10k of your bonus miles converted over to EQM miles?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by keirnna
When you spend $25k in a year do you get 25k bonus miles + 10k EQM miles for a total of 35k miles or do you get 10k of your bonus miles converted over to EQM miles?
Well, as you spend you get the regular 1 point (or 2 points for USAirways spending) per $. But you don't get an extra 25k bonus points.

Basically, after you hit the 25k spend, your preferred qualifying miles just goes up 10k. (I guess technically, it probably is a conversion -- that is to say, if you didn't have 10k RDM in your account at the time you hit the 25k spend, I'm not sure what would happen.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.