FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   [EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1182580-expired-fee-waived-us-airways-card-30k-10k-anniversary.html)

travisair Feb 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Wife and I had the same issue. Both of us just got approved for the Platinum card. Interesting because neither of us had issues with the Chase Continental card for 50K , United for 50K, BA for 100K, AA for 75K, etc. All of the credit limits are much higher for those cards as well. Bit of a slap in the face for applying for it, but its all part of the game. I sent a message via the website asking for the 35K credit, we'll see what happens.

mj12g Feb 14, 2011 6:55 am

I signed up for the 25k mile offer a few days ago; when I checked here the next day, the offer had changed to 35k miles. I don't yet have the card. Is there any point to try and call to get the extra 10k miles, or is it completely hopeless, no matter how hard I kick and scream?

gpapadop Feb 14, 2011 7:25 am

>>>>>>>I sent a message via the website asking for the 35K credit, we'll see what happens.

Please let us know.

I am on hold and waiting for the dust to settle. Had this card years ago. It looks like we can get the 35k but this Platinum 10k deal is certainly unwelcome as it appears we have no control over it! And, who knows, maybe the 50k offer is just around the corner:D

napilimom Feb 14, 2011 8:39 am

Never again. My husband and I were both given the platinum card with 10,000. A couple of phone calls this morning to vent my displeasure, but no satisfaction whatsoever. Deceptive add!

DukeBBFan Feb 14, 2011 9:28 am

My wife and I both received nearly instantaneous approval for the world card with the 35K bonus yesterday. We both had a Juniper/Barkley card that we cancelled thirteen months ago so apparently they don't look back too far.

gtg843p Feb 14, 2011 9:46 am

Platinum

I was also approved for the Platinum card. My credit is pretty good, so I was a bit surprised. A call this morning ended with an apologetic statement that there was absolutely no way to get it changed. Anyone ever have an experience to the contrary? Have other banks ever allowed an upgrade to a card once the low-level card had been approved?

At this point, I'll probably just wait until I get the card, then call in to see if I can get some of the points difference added to my account. Certainly not a good start to this banking relationship...

GamecockFan Feb 14, 2011 10:03 am

Originally Posted by gtg843p (Post 15861318)
I was also approved for the Platinum card. My credit is pretty good, so I was a bit surprised. A call this morning ended with an apologetic statement that there was absolutely no way to get it changed. Anyone ever have an experience to the contrary? Have other banks ever allowed an upgrade to a card once the low-level card had been approved?

At this point, I'll probably just wait until I get the card, then call in to see if I can get some of the points difference added to my account. Certainly not a good start to this banking relationship...

I was able to get Bank of America to upgrade me from the Platinum card to Visa Signature. I called and told them this is not card I wanted and not the card I applied for. The lady said you only need $1,000 more credit limit before you can get the signature, let me process that request. She gave it to me and then upgraded my card. Not sure if that's how Barclays will work or not. But it can certainly be done at other banks.

tassojunior Feb 14, 2011 10:45 am

Originally Posted by mj12g (Post 15860311)
I signed up for the 25k mile offer a few days ago; when I checked here the next day, the offer had changed to 35k miles. I don't yet have the card. Is there any point to try and call to get the extra 10k miles, or is it completely hopeless, no matter how hard I kick and scream?

I'm in the same boat. I've been faxing copies of the 35K ad to them, sending messages online and keep getting superficial responses from India. But I'll keep phoning, messaging and emailing until I get my way.

Update: After 3 calls and 2 faxes I finally asked to speak to a supervisor. After some time they said they would open a case and that I would be getting the additional 10K. We'll see.

Barclays customer service seems to be 100% Indian.

mosu84 Feb 14, 2011 2:39 pm

People on FW are saying you can view your bonus offer amount under Rewards->Program Overview. But there's nothing listed under my account, just this:

Program Overview
You earn Dividend Miles towards the rewards you deserve with every qualifying purchase. Below is a snapshot of your earning potential. In order to receive your Dividend Miles for purchases (minus any credits or returns), your account must be open and in good standing on your statement closing date, which is for your next statement. If your account is not open and in good standing on the date your statement closes, your Dividend Miles for that statement will be forfeited.

Earning Potential Where?
2 Miles for every $1.00 Partner Purchases
1 Mile for every $1.00 Purchases
Are they screwing me? Does anyone else just show this screen with no bonus offer info?

tassojunior Feb 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by mosu84 (Post 15863465)
People on FW are saying you can view your bonus offer amount under Rewards->Program Overview. But there's nothing listed under my account, just this:

Are they screwing me? Does anyone else just show this screen with no bonus offer info?

Just got my 1st paper statement and the bonus reward is on that.

worldcitizen25 Feb 14, 2011 4:06 pm

:(

I applied, and I got approved for the Platinum Card. Rather surprising considering that I have very good credit, have been approved for all cards I applied previously. I'm stuck with 10k US Airways miles now, and I have no plans to try and get to 25k. Those of you who are in a similar situation - what do you plan to do? I'll try emailing the US Airways folks asking for the 35k - but otherwise, can you use it to get gift cards? I hate this! :td:

GamecockFan Feb 14, 2011 6:49 pm

I got approved for the World MasterCard. I hope I see those 35,000 miles. :D ^

tassojunior Feb 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Those getting the platinum or world card should probably phone Barclays and try and get your credit limit raised to get the World Premier which has the 35K bonus.

Barclays is really trapping a lot of people with this tactic. There's a way of playing hardball. Since the bonus comes with the first $1 spent, call and threaten to cancel if they don't give you the World Premier bonus. (of course don't cancel until your bonus posts if you do this). And avoid their outsourced csr's at all cost, always demand to speak to a supervisor after a few sentences.

napilimom Feb 14, 2011 7:57 pm

I sent a secure email which opened up "a case". What a bait and switch this was!

DoubleJ Feb 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by napilimom (Post 15865243)
I sent a secure email which opened up "a case". What a bait and switch this was!

While I'm just as surprised that so many are being turned down for the Premier World Card and instead given the Platinum Card, I would have a hard time calling it a bait and switch for several reasons:

1) The card offer was apparently aimed at US Airway's Chairman's Preferred elite flyers and not meant for general consumption.

2) As Chairman's Preferred is US Airway's highest elite level, the assumption then is that the bar for approval would be high.

3) The card offer does state (in the footnotes on the front page) that applicants might end up with the Platinum card instead of the Premier World card, and that those getting the Platinum Card will receive only 10,000 miles:

Offer subject to credit approval. Benefits will vary depending upon the card for which you are approved. Not everyone will qualify for the Premier World MasterCard. In order to be approved for a Premier World MasterCard and all of the benefits featured here you must meet the credit and income criteria previously established for this offer. If you do not qualify, we will automatically consider you for a Platinum card which offers fewer benefits and a lower annual fee. See Terms and Conditions for information about the account terms and benefits that will apply if you are not approved for a Premier World MasterCard.

Bonus Miles: Premier World MasterCard Cardmembers will receive 35,000 bonus miles and Platinum Cardmembers will receive 10,000 bonus miles after first use of your account for a Purchase or Balance Transfer (that are not later returned or rescinded).