Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by shel
I got recent denial due to "having or already had US Air MC". The letter said no hard pull, but I will check. Current MC is approved last June, so almost 11 months still no go.
Interesting. I've definitely received a hard pull and when I check the status of my application it says they are still reviewing it. If they deny me due to already having the card it'll be interesting to know why I got a hard pull while others did not.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
I've had a US Air card for over a year as I've gotten the anniversary bonus a few weeks ago. I'm also wondering if I should try for another US Air card before they merge with AAdvantage. I have 5 hard pulls in December and then 3 pulls in August. None on TU in the past year I believe.
I decided to apply for the Arrival card this morning, and am glad I did. I did not receive instant approval, so phoned Barclays. Although I have not applied for any credit cards since August, the analyst mentioned that I have opened and closed quite a few cards recently. He ultimately approved my application, but I have my doubts that he would have approved a second USAir Card application.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
My second and third Barclays cards were approved within 40 days of each other. Saying there is a set 6 month rule is not true.

I know that it is simpler for many people to think there are set rules, but it is more complex than that. If you apply for a lot of cards, like many people on this thread do, then no matter how long you wait between apps Barclays will be more inclined to deny that app.

The best way to get a Barclays card is to have a high credit score without many pulls or new accounts within the last year or more.

So define your priorities. How important is a US Air card to you? If getting a US Air card is more important than doing doing multiple AORs, then wait until you only have 3 or so pulls in a 12 month period and apply for the US Air card. You would probably have a great chance of success with that.

If, however, you would rather do multiple AORs, then don't count on getting any Barclay cards. It's that simple.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by jeanie
My second and third Barclays cards were approved within 40 days of each other. Saying there is a set 6 month rule is not true.

I know that it is simpler for many people to think there are set rules, but it is more complex than that. If you apply for a lot of cards, like many people on this thread do, then no matter how long you wait between apps Barclays will be more inclined to deny that app.

The best way to get a Barclays card is to have a high credit score without many pulls or new accounts within the last year or more.

So define your priorities. How important is a US Air card to you? If getting a US Air card is more important than doing doing multiple AORs, then wait until you only have 3 or so pulls in a 12 month period and apply for the US Air card. You would probably have a great chance of success with that.

If, however, you would rather do multiple AORs, then don't count on getting any Barclay cards. It's that simple.
Some of this true. I agree there's not likely a set Barclay's rule.. Every recon analyst brings new odds. However, you can still do AOR's and get new Barclay's cards too. Duplicate cards brings a new issue into the mix as well.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Some of this true. I agree there's not likely a set Barclay's rule.. Every recon analyst brings new odds. However, you can still do AOR's and get new Barclay's cards too. Duplicate cards brings a new issue into the mix as well.
Actually, all of it is true. I specifically said that if a person does AORs that they should not count on getting Barclays cards. I didn't say no one could get them if they have done AORs. I was just saying AORs make it a lot more difficult.

I have a strong credit history, opened 8 credit cards in the last year, have a transunion score over 800 and Barclays approved me twice in a 40 day period. It can happen.

But many people on this thread are looking for simple rules to go by. My comment is that theses rules are complicated and individualized. Statements like wait 6 months aren't necessarily pertinent. Barclays considers each case individually.

If waiting 6 months raises one's credit score and lowers the number of pulls over the past year, then yes, the wait should help to get approval. However, if one opens 8 new cards over that 6 month period, then the 6 month wait probably won't help at all.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
But....but...where are the circles and arrows?
Old May 24, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dangw20
Did you get an outright rejection saying they couldn't offer you credit at this time, or did you get a response saying additional time is needed like I got in post #3451 (top of this page).

I was kind of surprised I got the additional time needed instead of an outright denial.
Rejection, I think.... here is the text when I check the application status...

Currently we are unable to offer you a Credit Card. Details on why we could not make you a credit offer will be mailed to you.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by diclemeg
Rejection, I think.... here is the text when I check the application status...

Currently we are unable to offer you a Credit Card. Details on why we could not make you a credit offer will be mailed to you.
Interesting. That makes me think I may have a slim chance of approval. Though I'm not going to get my hopes up to much. Thanks for the info.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
Interesting. That makes me think I may have a slim chance of approval. Though I'm not going to get my hopes up to much. Thanks for the info.
If I'm you I wait another month. And two, I'd check application status again, because my last card said the same thing initially, then a day later, said I was approved.

A data point, regarding my application from two days ago that was rejected, I got my free credit report from Trans Union and it shows no credit pull.
Old May 24, 2013, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by diclemeg
If I'm you I wait another month. And two, I'd check application status again, because my last card said the same thing initially, then a day later, said I was approved.

A data point, regarding my application from two days ago that was rejected, I got my free credit report from Trans Union and it shows no credit pull.
Can you get a free report if you're given a less favorable APR than their best rate? I know this entitles you to your credit score, but do you need an outright denial to get a free report?
Old May 24, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by billybayswater
Can you get a free report if you're given a less favorable APR than their best rate? I know this entitles you to your credit score, but do you need an outright denial to get a free report?
The credit reporting agencies and you have no way of knowing how your credit report have been used by a potential creditor, so in practice you always have access to your credit report after any credit pull. BTW. you are never entitled to a credit score.
Old May 24, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Currently we are unable to offer you a Credit Card. Details on why we could not make you a credit offer will be mailed to you Interesting. That makes me think I may have a slim chance of approval. Though I'm not going to get my hopes up to much. Thanks for the info.
I got this message too when I applied having already 3 other Barclay cards so I called the reconsideration number listed ( somewhere in this thread) and I was persuaded to cancel a card in order to receive it, (hindsight now would have just negotiated to lower the Credit Line on another card) so anyways after chatting a bit letting them know I and husband will be traveling and looking to use this airline convenient to our travels the agent agreed to a new card by canceling another.
Don't give up yet.. good luck
Old May 28, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by cvarming
The credit reporting agencies and you have no way of knowing how your credit report have been used by a potential creditor, so in practice you always have access to your credit report after any credit pull. BTW. you are never entitled to a credit score.
This is incorrect. If you get less favorable terms for a credit card (higher APR, low credit limit, whatever), you will get your score on the letter that comes with the card. I believe you also get it if you are denied - it's sometimes on the back of the letter in a little chart. It was part of the Dodd Frank bill.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by PHLisa
This is incorrect. If you get less favorable terms for a credit card (higher APR, low credit limit, whatever), you will get your score on the letter that comes with the card. I believe you also get it if you are denied - it's sometimes on the back of the letter in a little chart. It was part of the Dodd Frank bill.
Fair enough. The creditor is now required to reveal your credit score. Let me augment my statement to "You are not entitled to a credit score from the CRAs".

Anyway, my main points still stands. After a credit pull (hard or soft) the CRA will give you access to your credit report.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: Food Lion MVP
Cancelled US Air card #1
2 days later applied for card #2, no instant approval
16 days later approved via email, never called reconsideration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.