FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   [EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1182580-expired-fee-waived-us-airways-card-30k-10k-anniversary.html)

mosu84 Feb 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Think long and hard before signing up for a Barclays card. I've been trying to cancel my US Airways card for 2 months, but I can't get them to cancel it. They just recently charged me the $79 annual fee and really, seriously, double promised me that they closed it this time. I don't believe them.

upgrader Feb 11, 2011 6:19 am

The T&C for this card state that it may take up to 4 weeks to make a balance transfer from an account on another card. Unless you have a 0% or very small % interest on that "other card" this would seem to risk incurring quite an interest penalty on the "other card" at the next due date while waiting for Barclay's to make the transfer to your new US card account. Anyone have experience with how long it actually takes for such a transfer so that one may/may not have some degree of confidence about getting hit with a big interest fee from the original card?

tassojunior Feb 11, 2011 7:19 am

Updated OP to show 35K first purchase link which has been found. Doesn't seem targeted.

Milezjunkie Feb 11, 2011 7:40 am

The T&C state the bonus miles are for new cardmembers only. With Barclays, does that mean "first-time cardholders?" I had that card in the past and I would sign up again for 35K bonus miles but otherwise I would stick with the AA or SPG cards.

napilimom Feb 11, 2011 7:56 am

There's also a link to a business card offer, 25,000 miles and $79, not waived.

erik123 Feb 11, 2011 12:19 pm

There's a box asking for an employee number - it seems to be targeted?

k02sc02 Feb 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Anyone know of any sign up promos for folks to use if 1st time joining US Airways Dividend miles program? (that would be me) to make this a little bit sweeter?

tassojunior Feb 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 15846369)
There's a box asking for an employee number - it seems to be targeted?

It was actually sent to the elite status Chairman's Club members if you check the url. I think that's so an employee can get a bonus for getting you to apply. Certainly not targeted link as several have already gotten approved.

Also, unlike many applications, all the bonus terms are printed in the T&C.

k02sc02 Feb 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by napilimom (Post 15844762)
There's also a link to a business card offer, 25,000 miles and $79, not waived.

from the Business (not bix) card t&c
•Balance Transfer Charge: During the first six billing cycles: 3% of the amount of each transfer, $5 minimum, $75 maximum. After the first six billing cycles: 3% of the amount of each transfer, $5 minimum, no maximum.
•Cash Advance Charge: 3% of the amount advanced, $10 minimum, no maximum.

Looks like 3% up to $75 each month for BT on the business card. If anyone knows different please let me know. How sweet it would be if the max for the entire 6 billing cycles totalled $75.00 instead of $450.

tassojunior Feb 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by k02sc02 (Post 15846602)
from the bix card t&c
•Balance Transfer Charge: During the first six billing cycles: 3% of the amount of each transfer, $5 minimum, $75 maximum. After the first six billing cycles: 3% of the amount of each transfer, $5 minimum, no maximum.
•Cash Advance Charge: 3% of the amount advanced, $10 minimum, no maximum.

Looks like 3% up to $75 each month for BT on the business card. If anyone knows different please let me know. How sweet it would be if the max for the entire 6 billing cycles totalled $75.00 instead of $450.

No, It's a One-Time Fee

At least on the personal it's $100 maximum BT fee once and then 0% interest for 6 months. BT fees are always one-time. On 10K that's a lot less than the normal $300 (3%) or $400 (4%), although it's just for 6 months from application acceptance.

k02sc02 Feb 11, 2011 1:20 pm

ok thanks,
then the business card BT fee caps out at $75.00. i will take another look at the t&c. could be a good thing.

tassojunior Feb 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by k02sc02 (Post 15846573)
Anyone know of any sign up promos for folks to use if 1st time joining US Airways Dividend miles program? (that would be me) to make this a little bit sweeter?

I got a 1500 mile promo to sign up about 6 months ago but I don't see it any place now. You could phone Dividend Miles and ask.

Dr Jabadski Feb 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior (Post 15839975)
Fee waived, no spend, US Air Card 35K-55K + benies

Thank you tassojunior. This is the thread that finally got me to go from lurker to member.

Dr Jabadski Feb 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by swat16 (Post 15844673)
The T&C state the bonus miles are for new cardmembers only. With Barclays, does that mean "first-time cardholders?" I had that card in the past and I would sign up again for 35K bonus miles but otherwise I would stick with the AA or SPG cards.

One person’s data point. I had Juniper/Barclays US Airways cards from Apr 2006 to Dec 2006 (email offer, no fee for 1 year, 15,000 first use bonus) and again from Nov 2009 to Aug 2010 (applied at airport, 1 mile for $2 spent, no fee, 5,000 first use bonus). Each time I made 1 or 2 charges then cancelled.

Today, after applying on line (using the link here, I was not targeted), I was instantly approved and the approval page even indicated my credit line (first time I’ve seen that). I called immediately, mainly to lower the credit line and to choose a statement closing date. The voice prompts asked which account I was calling about; "press 1 for account ending in 1234, press 2 for account ending in 5678". First call I didn’t know which account was which and I (randomly) chose the closed account which the system informed me of. I called back, chose the new account and finally got through to a rep who confirmed no fee for a year and all the introductory bonuses. I asked her about prior accounts and she told me about the 2 past accounts, including exact dates of opening/closing.

My plan is to keep it for a year, charge something 2 or 3 times to keep my US Air account active, then see if I can scam the 10,000 anniversary miles without paying the fee and then cancel.

So, based on my N of 1, the answer to your question is “no”. I hope this helps.

chespeak2002 Feb 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 15847846)
One person’s data point. I had Juniper/Barclays US Airways cards from Apr 2006 to Dec 2006 (email offer, no fee for 1 year, 15,000 first use bonus) and again from Nov 2009 to Aug 2010 (applied at airport, 1 mile for $2 spent, no fee, 5,000 first use bonus). Each time I made 1 or 2 charges then cancelled.

Today, after applying on line (using the link here, I was not targeted), I was instantly approved and the approval page even indicated my credit line (first time I’ve seen that). I called immediately, mainly to lower the credit line and to choose a statement closing date. The voice prompts asked which account I was calling about; "press 1 for account ending in 1234, press 2 for account ending in 5678". First call I didn’t know which account was which and I (randomly) chose the closed account which the system informed me of. I called back, chose the new account and finally got through to a rep who confirmed no fee for a year and all the introductory bonuses. I asked her about prior accounts and she told me about the 2 past accounts, including exact dates of opening/closing.

My plan is to keep it for a year, charge something 2 or 3 times to keep my US Air account active, then see if I can scam the 10,000 anniversary miles without paying the fee and then cancel.

So, based on my N of 1, the answer to your question is “no”. I hope this helps.

Can you share what credit bureaus did they pull on you for this app?