FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Capital One | Rewards Miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/capital-one-rewards-miles-778/)
-   -   Capital One Venture & other Cap 1 cards (50K for $3k spend)[Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/capital-one-rewards-miles/1154161-capital-one-venture-other-cap-1-cards-50k-3k-spend-consolidated.html)

Ozboyle Nov 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Capital One Venture & other Cap 1 cards (50K for $3k spend)[Consolidated]

This card offers two miles for every dollar spent. Is there a gimmick to this?

mia Nov 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk.

When joining a Flyertalk section please use Search this Forum function to look for previous discussion of the same topic. Here are some threads I found using the keyword: venture.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-one-card.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...e-rewards.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-why-hate.html

When comparing Capital One to other programs bear in mind that Capital One "miles" are actually points worth a fixed amount, $0.01 each. The value of airline miles is widely debated on Flyertalk, but a mile can be redeemed for greater than $0.02 each. This means that Venture "double" earnings merely makes it competitive with cards that earn one airline mile per dollar, but many cards earn more.

mitch777 Jan 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Capitol One Venture Card....NOT!!

Upon closer look, this card, with its ubiquitous "2 miles per dollar" ad appears to me to be misleading. It actually gets you 2 cents toward whatever the airfare is per dollar spent on the card. It's a dollar-based model, not a value-based model. You can do better....especially if you use your miles for upgrades. And you can do so without going through the hassle of their "Rewards Program" to get your ticket. I was recently awarded this card, and I refused it once I studied the details. The AMEX SPG is still the best card out there.

CMHFlyerOH Jan 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by mitch777 (Post 15678345)
Upon closer look, this card, with its ubiquitous "2 miles per dollar" ad appears to me to be misleading. It actually gets you 2 cents toward whatever the airfare is per dollar spent on the card. It's a dollar-based model, not a value-based model. You can do better....especially if you use your miles for upgrades. And you can do so without going through the hassle of their "Rewards Program" to get your ticket. I was recently awarded this card, and I refused it once I studied the details. The AMEX SPG is still the best card out there.

While I certainly agree that the claim that you get 2 "miles" per dollar with this card is misleading, I do still think it is a good value getting especially 2% back on every purchase on a Visa.

This program of theirs also seems fairly straight forward to me, much more so than some of their earlier "miles" credit cards that couldn't be redeemed for a set value per point, as they can with this card.

chelmkamp Jan 19, 2011 2:46 am

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH (Post 15685216)
While I certainly agree that the claim that you get 2 "miles" per dollar with this card is misleading, I do still think it is a good value getting especially 2% back on every purchase on a Visa.

Especially good if you make a lot of international purchases, since there is no forex on the Venture. Also, if you don't have a lot of choice which airline you fly or live in a region where many airlines aren't connected to one of the big CC FF programs, it's better to get "travel credit" rather than "miles."

The trick after the first year though is to be sure you will spend more than $7860 on the Venture; otherwise it makes more sense to use the no annual fee VentureOne with a lower 1.25% return.

carolinaaaflyer Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

I didn't think much of this card until a friend's parents asked me for help redeeming their rewards. Could not have been easier, and it is nice to be able to use the credits toward any airline.

If you are looking for B/F class travel, not a great card, as regular miles would be more valuable. For coach flyers, I think it's actually pretty good.

Also, on the down side, if you cancel the card you would lose the credits.

LA to PDX Jan 23, 2011 2:01 am

Can anyone tell me if the CapOne Venture cards are No-Preset Spending Limit cards? If so, I am especially interested in which number is reported to credit bureaus as the credit limit (credit limit/high balance/none).

I don't see anywhere on the CapOne site that it is a NPSL card, but the visa website says that all Visa signature cards are NPSL. Thanks for any info.

Tugg Mar 9, 2011 2:32 pm

Capital One Point Redemption

I recently purchased a trip that cost $352.37, and I'd like to use CapitalOne no Hassle miles to reimburse the cost. The award chart indicates:

$150.01-350.00 - 35k miles
$350.01-600.00 - 60k miles

.00948cpm for that last $2.37 seems like a bad use of points. I've called customer service with no resolution towards an acceptable option.

Is this rule absolute, or has anyone had any luck gaining leeway on a few dollars over the range?

mrkymark Mar 9, 2011 2:52 pm

The rule is absolute.

350.00 = 35k
350.01 = 60K

It is all computer driven, India outsourced, with strict unbendable rules.

In other words CapitalOne "No Hassle Rewards" is telling you "No."

I have never heard of any exceptions. And even they granted you one it would take way too much of your time and anger to get it.

longleaf Mar 9, 2011 11:19 pm

Where did you get your miles redemption chart?

On the website it says you just add two zeros to the purchase price to see the miles you need. They provide the example: $189 = 18,900miles

By the way...This is for the venture card miles from Capital One. i'm not sure if Capital One has several reward programs with different redemption amounts.

grandmaster b Mar 9, 2011 11:50 pm

Can you hold more than one Cap One card?

I'm thinking about taking up the Venture offer. However, the T&C state to call and a CSR will check to see if I'm eligible to upgrade my existing Cap One account. I don't want to leave the Cap One program I'm currently in, I just want to take advantage of the Venture offer.

Anyone here have the Venture card and a points earning card in another Cap One program?

mrkymark Mar 10, 2011 12:29 am

You only add two zero's after the value of the reward exceeds $600.

The OP probably has the CapOne No Hassle Miles Card.

Miles Needed For Travel That Costs...
15,000 Up to $150
35,000 $150.01 - $350
60,000 $350.01 - $600
100x cost $600+

* No restrictions—you choose the airline, you choose the flights!

* Purchase tickets online, through your travel agent, or through any airline with your Capital OneŽ card

* No advanced-purchase or Saturday night stay requirements

* The number of Miles required to redeem for travel is based on the transaction amount

bigbuy Mar 10, 2011 3:31 am

Unless something has changed, yes you can. I had both a Capital One Orbitz Visa and a Cap One Cash back Visa at the same time, although one has since been canceled.

scubaflyer Mar 10, 2011 6:47 am

Yes, you can have more than one card that earns points. I have Venture and another points earning card.

gmid2006 Mar 11, 2011 9:29 am

Can I use my Capital One card to purchase an airline ticket for a friend or family member or is it only good for my own personal purchase?