Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / Joint Accounts / AU [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This is a recently created consolidated thread, to combine knowledge and insight regarding Authorized User accounts in one place.

We are looking for a volunteer(s) to summarize the valuable information in this thread.

If you are such a volunteer, edit this WikiPost with what you've learned.
Print Wikipost

Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / Joint Accounts / AU [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:34 pm

Thanks All!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by changger1
I had this issue last year. I opened up 4 Chase accounts and 2 AMEX accounts for family members and added myself as a AU for all six. I did not want 6 new accounts on my credit report. Now with Chase, you can remove yourself as a AU and request that they ask the credit agencies to remove those accounts from your credit report. With AMEX, they would not do that. For Citibank, my suggestion is to call and tell them you were an Authorized User on the card and now that the accounts are closed, request that they contact all 3 credit agencies and remove the accounts from your report. This may or may not work, but give it a shot. Good Luck!
Thanks for the tip. Just to provide an update, I called Citi and removed myself from the remaining cards. They agreed to remove these entries completely from the credit bureaus. About a week later I received a letter for each card confirming they have submitted the removal to each of the 3 credit bureaus.

I can also confirm even with the ~13 accounts in the last 6 mo on which I was AU, Citi still approved me for a new card with no problem. About a week after the letter confirming the removal, I was subsequently approved for 4/6 cards from the big guys (2 are still pending). I just called TU (2 days after the apps) and they confirmed the removals. I have no way to know if that happened before or after the apps. In any case, I was able to get US Bank to reconsider my app after explaining the situation.

I didn't bother with the ~4 Chase AU entries. They are still on my report, but don't seem to bother the banks much give my recent approvals.

Last edited by italdesign; Aug 22, 2014 at 5:12 pm
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:36 am

Impact to AU's FICO of adding authorized user to Amex?

I've seen conflicting reports about whether adding a non-spouse authorized user to an Amex card will impact the AU's credit score. Does anybody know? I would be adding my MIL, and she wouldn't receive or use the card.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:04 pm

Does spending by the AU count toward the Minimum Spending on a new card?

Newbie question.
I recently open a Chase United card with $2000 Min Spend for bonus. I have my wife as AU. Does her spending count toward the $2000 Min Spend? or only purchases made by me count?

I get confused with this as I use to have an Amex Gold card and put my wife as AU but when I looked at the 2 cards they both have different card numbers?

Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Yes - if it is the same account, they both count.

Actually, with AMEX, different users on the same account have different numbers, but they both still count toward any spending requirements if it is the same account. It is just the way AMEX allows you to keep track of the spending by different users. For example, we have a Hilton HHonors AMEX linked to my HHonors account that has an annual minimum spend requirement for Platinum. My wife and I have cards with different numbers but they both count toward the spend requirement.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:19 am

Does adding wife on my card affect her ability to get the card later.

If I add my wife as an 'Additional Cardholder' does that affect her ability to sign up for the card (I'm doing a few apps now, planning on her doing a few in a 3 months)

Thinking generally, but specifically about the Chase Sapphire
You will earn another 5,000 bonus points when you add an additional cardholder and make a purchase within the first 3 months.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Does adding wife on my card affect her ability to get the card later.

nope.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:06 pm

With US bank cards, you don't get bonus on AU purchases?
Old May 12, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
I would like to add my fiancé as an AU on one or more card. Her score hovers just below where I'd like it to be for a mortgage app but she lacks credit history, account age, diversification, and appropriate utilization. Couple of questions:

How long does it take for an AU to begin reporting to CRAs? Any issuers faster than others?
Is there a limit to how much capacity I should add? She has 4k of credit capacity now with 3.5 used. 1 and only acct. no late history.

Any difference in how they report across issuer? I have citi, Amex, chase, & Barclays to choose from

Any input appreciated!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:37 pm

Who do you add as authorized users?

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been posted before, I searched and couldn't find anything, I went through the following threads as they seemed the most relevant:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-spg-card.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-no-ssn.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...zed-users.html

I understand that people who are married/have kids can add their spouses/children to their accounts.

However, is there a way for a single person to do this or does it have to be family members with ssn?

I understand companies such as AMEX does not require SSN so you could theoretically add people but I'm not sure what the downsides of this might be.

If I add someone such as my parents/brother to this account does it go on their credit report or does it stay on mine?

Thanks.

Last edited by Twaffles; Jul 1, 2015 at 5:19 pm
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:58 pm

authorized user reported to credit reporting agency?

my wife added me as an AU on her united card. I found that I have a new account when I checked credit report which I didn't realize that happened.

is that normal and would that effect score if that shows on my report?

thanks,
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:09 pm

yes, normal
yes, effects your score
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:16 am

It's really ridiculous. Chase lets you add an AU without requiring their SSN. I once added my sister, whose SSN I don't know, and the account soon appeared on her credit report, to her dismay. Our foreign names are most-likely unique in the US, so I guess they associated the account with her based on the single appearance of the name in whatever database they use. We don't share an address or anything.

Since you can add any name as AU, I suppose you could affect the credit of any person who has a unique name? I was once almost tempted to issue a card for Barack Obama to see if it would actually come.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Maayan
It's really ridiculous. Chase lets you add an AU without requiring their SSN. I once added my sister, whose SSN I don't know, and the account soon appeared on her credit report, to her dismay. Our foreign names are most-likely unique in the US, so I guess they associated the account with her based on the single appearance of the name in whatever database they use. We don't share an address or anything.

Since you can add any name as AU, I suppose you could affect the credit of any person who has a unique name? I was once almost tempted to issue a card for Barack Obama to see if it would actually come.
Quick way to get deported if you actually did it. If you shared an address at any time in the past that's enough to make it stick.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by jordandawg05
my wife added me as an AU on her united card. I found that I have a new account when I checked credit report which I didn't realize that happened.

is that normal and would that effect score if that shows on my report?

thanks,
I bet the card in question is American Express?

Chase and citi do not require SSN for additional card.... only American Express does.. I agree, it's ridiculous. Why would they need the sSN of AU if the AU is not the one responsible for the charges? absolutely idiotic.

no way I am keeping americanexpress if not for the huge sign up bonus...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.