Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Visa Interchange Programs Effective April 2010

Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Could someone who absolutely understands this Visa document explain in lay person terms what it means. Please no guesss. I would appreciate knowlegable answers. Am I correct that it means the cheapest rate a merchant can get on small transactions is pay 4 cents plus 1.65%?

http://ctlr.msu.edu/download/cashiers/VisaICApr09.pdf
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Centurion
Could someone who absolutely understands this Visa document explain in lay person terms what it means. Please no guesss. I would appreciate knowlegable answers. Am I correct that it means the cheapest rate a merchant can get on small transactions is pay 4 cents plus 1.65%?

http://ctlr.msu.edu/download/cashiers/VisaICApr09.pdf
It depends on the merchant and transaction type, but for domestic transactions, you are correct in what it means.

Does this question have something to do with finding a merchant account to run up charges on a card that earns points where the earned points' value exceeds the cost of running the transaction and providing the cash back to the card holder minus the cost of running the transaction?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:32 am
Original Poster

No...The reason for the post and question is many businesses in the United States get hundreds of calls a year offering credit card processing at "a cheaper rate". The slime that call sometimes pretend to be your actual bank/merchant processor that you already use, etc. I wanted to know the true base rates as most work on a spread. If you are a large business or lucky you can get actual "Interchange rates" at par or plus very little.

The calls businesses recieve are kind of like the tonner or paper sales pitch of the old days. "We are your toner/paper supplier" we just needed to check the make and serial number of your machine". The company would ship the most toner/paper you ever purchased and use the unlucky employee as the authorized rep who ordered.

fyi...I just Googled and found the Visa document up on a edu site. The Mastercard one is several pages longer.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
page two, second section....

So is this the section that is involved when executing the fund-new-account-with-$xx,xxx-on-Citi AAdvantage card?

It's odd that it doesn't eliminate the option, or appear to limit it, as rumors were running as of early March.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.