Questions about credit inquiries (pulls)

Old Mar 30, 2012, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, HA, UR, BA
Hard inquiry question

Hi all -

First wanted to say thank you to all the really informative posts! I am looking to do my own app-o-rama in a few months. I am still in the formative stages of doing this I need to wipe out some debt before I embark on the application.

Anyways I have 2 questions:

1. How many hard inquiries is acceptable when applying? I currently have 3 over a 2 year period.

2. Do I look like a good candidate, financially speaking, to try an app-o-rama once I set my goals and pay off my debt?

FICO: 780 (TU) 760 (EXP)
Avg credit line age: 4 years 9 month
No derogatory marks, collections etc
100% paid on time
Spent about 30k on my cards last year.

Thanks again for all the insight!

mrx
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Your amount of inquiries shouldn't be a problem, honestly that's quite low. As far as your FICOs are concerned, is that your official Experian FICO? Consumers no longer have access to it unless they get denied for a product or a lender pulls it for them. If those are your true FICOs not FAKOs you should be in fairly good shape to add some cards. Best of luck!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
Questions about credit inquiries (pulls)

If some one opened a credit card on your name fraudulently and the card company closes the account and gets the account removed from your credit report, what happens with the hard pull itself? How do you get it removed? Who do you contact to get it removed? Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Call the credit card company and ask a CSR.

I recently applied for a business card through Citi and notice they pulled my credit report twice . Their response was to send a copy of my latest report (had to be less than 30 days old) into their Credit Bureau Dispute department. Two weeks letter I received word that they had passed on the information to all of the credit boards.

Not completely painless, but worth it to remove an extra hard pull. ^
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
Thanks for your response. In this case it was more than one credit card company and it happened over the last 9 months. It took us this long to get all of them to close those cards. If they are going to pull the latest report again, wouldn't that count as a hard pull again?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:33 pm

You should also try calling the credit reporting agencies.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by ikonos
Thanks for your response. In this case it was more than one credit card company and it happened over the last 9 months. It took us this long to get all of them to close those cards. If they are going to pull the latest report again, wouldn't that count as a hard pull again?
No. Hard pull is only when you apply for credit, not when you check your own credit report.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Can you request/direct which report a company pulls?

For instance can you freeze EX/EQ and call recon and say you're doing it so you can only subscribe to 1 bureau (chose TU) but still monitor your [available] credit entirely? Then request that they pull the TU (or whatever) report? Or if they want to pull a certain report, will they not consider you until you un-freeze it?
Old May 21, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I found some interesting info in this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...re-apps-2.html
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:46 pm

Citi HH visa- extra credit inquiry :(

Moderators- please move this thread if this isn't the right forum for it.

I wanted to share my situation to make others aware of it and also get some suggestions. In my last App-o-rama in April, I had applied for Citi HH cards as well. Bad luck/timing that apps for Citi didn't get filled properly and were submitted one day late than others. Citi saw multiple pulls on experian (that's what they use in WA) and decline apps. I have been with Citi for a while with good credit scores (750+). I sent the reconsideration mail to Exec office and received a mail from Citi stating that they would like to reconsider my apps but wanted me to submit recent copy of experian. I went ahead and submitted it.

Now, I see Citi doing new inquiry check on Experian yesterday (i have identityguard service) and I received a notice from Citi that my application (atleast one of the two i believe) was approved. While I am happy about approval, i think they have messed up my app-o-rama schedule by doing this out of turn inquiry after i submitted the experian report.

Is it common for this to happen? Any suggestions- should i just take it as lesson and let it go given i can't do anything in this situation.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: Several dozen
What can I say? Sometimes you game the system and sometimes it games you back!

Originally Posted by boundless_maverick
Moderators- please move this thread if this isn't the right forum for it.

I wanted to share my situation to make others aware of it and also get some suggestions. In my last App-o-rama in April, I had applied for Citi HH cards as well. Bad luck/timing that apps for Citi didn't get filled properly and were submitted one day late than others. Citi saw multiple pulls on experian (that's what they use in WA) and decline apps. I have been with Citi for a while with good credit scores (750+). I sent the reconsideration mail to Exec office and received a mail from Citi stating that they would like to reconsider my apps but wanted me to submit recent copy of experian. I went ahead and submitted it.

Now, I see Citi doing new inquiry check on Experian yesterday (i have identityguard service) and I received a notice from Citi that my application (atleast one of the two i believe) was approved. While I am happy about approval, i think they have messed up my app-o-rama schedule by doing this out of turn inquiry after i submitted the experian report.

Is it common for this to happen? Any suggestions- should i just take it as lesson and let it go given i can't do anything in this situation.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I recently applied for the two citi AA cards and wasn't given instant approval for either card. When I called them for reconsideration they wanted my last year's tax after which they would reconsider and pull another credit check for each card. At this point I am not even gonna bother wasting so many hard inquiries. Citi has messed up my vacation plans for next year now
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Do appo-ramas still work? I thought I heard some horror stories about them.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Do appo-ramas still work? I thought I heard some horror stories about them.
I'm thinking he is using the new use of the term "churn" when he says app-o-rama...

Applying for multiple cards every quarter or so...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
What can I say? Sometimes you game the system and sometimes it games you back!
^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.